Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
30 plus hour training weeks
Quote | Reply
I've taken some time out from work to train for ironman nz. Anyway I've done 21 hours in 4 days (only did 1.5 hours in the pool one of those days), and it actually is bloody hard to keep backing it up day after day. I have a 90km ride today and right now I am not looking forward to it that much! (hill reps and some hard intervals)

After that I just have a long run tomorrow, then a long ride the day after. My training during the week is all being done solo at the moment and it isn't particularly inspiring to get out the door for 3 hour plus rides every day being faced with the prospect of doing them alone. Usually I actually enjoy doing solo rides but this week it just seems to be harder.

I am definitely feeling quite fatigued and this morning I cut my swim short (5kms lcm solo wasn't an enticing prospect). Anyway, I guess you just have to push through these feelings and get it done huh?

Heart rate has been staying quite low during my long rides...
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my one and only 30 hr+ week, I sure didn't do any hard intervals on the bike or run. I don't think big volume is about big intensity simultaneously. But, then again, I am neither a coach or a winner of IMs.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 hour + hill reps and intervals = smoked!

Note: You can't maintain the intensity if you try to bring up the volume. Sure "maybe" once you could do 30 week after week you could handle some intensity, but that's doesn't sound like your situation.

Go as slow as you need to go to get the workouts in. I don't mean walking pace, but you get the idea. For this period just accept that volume trumps intensity.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! What's your race goal? I'm a very average triathlete and maxed out around 18 hours/week training for IMFL and the 70.3 championships. I wasn't looking at podium chances though...just wanted to finish feeling good, and did. 30 hours? I'd get burned out if I trained that much!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Jan 18, 07 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Heart rate has been staying quite low during my long rides...
I'd expect so.
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said I'm not working right now and I would like to go really well at Ironman NZ. I went 10.24 in my first attempt at ironman, in my 2nd year of tris (I'm in my 4th year now), and totally blew on the run, shuffling/walking for last 10 or so kms. I would like to see if I can qualify for Kona, and this might be my only chance of ever doing this dedicated training thing.

My coach has always had a fair bit of intensity in his workouts (I can usually only maintain the intensity if I have 1-2 sleepins a week, ie morning off, and maybe a night off too)...managed the intensity on first day of training this week ok, was shattered after the next day though (close to 5kms in pool and 120kms on a toughish bike course). regrouped and recovered on wednesday with just a 1.5 hour swim, and then the 3.7km swim, 150km bike ride and 30 min run yesterday has left me pretty tired again.

I might just complete the 90km ride at a steady pace...save any efforts I do have for a group ride I'm on on Sunday, otherwise I think Monday, and maybe tomorrow even, will be spent in the foeta position!
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude 30 hr. weeks, 13 weeks out!!?? You are going to be FRIED. I am training for the exact same race (hoping to go sub-10) and I will never go more than 22 hours. If you can handle that volume please send me whatever "supplements" you are using. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot damn! You must might qualify for Kona at that rate! Hope the weather comes together for you guys in Taupo this time around. Good luck!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [oldtrojanruner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 weeks out...ironman nz not az!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you think of the epic camp that is going on right now?
how does that apply to your training ?
what gains will they see from big big training?
how about the mental side of big training ?

Dirt
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well..I've followed the blogs just so I know that there are others out there feeling shattered as well. For me, right now, it is probably more of a mental thing as I'm doing this training solo and my previous biggest week was 27 hours (on top of work though). 21 hours in 4 days would be my second biggest week of the last 1.5 years...so seems quite hard from that perspective. Is achievable though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fulla
I've found when I do big weeks the volume has to be cut big time.. Last thing you need to be doing now is digging yourself into a hole. These type weeks are going to beat you up, it's a matter of recovering from them and not letting them, as it was put before, "fry you"
Taking afternoon naps helped me get through the bigger weeks as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! It's fun to hit it hard and push yourself. Builds some character and mental strength. I've had some 30+ hour weeks myself preparing for a double IM this fall.......final build period was 28, 31,34, and 31 hours ending 3 weeks out from race day. Of course, my intensity was moderate only......trying to build efficiency, strength, and, of course, mental strength. I train solo all the time and I love it. Good luck to you in your endeavors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to your body.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a great idea
hope you letus know how it is going

dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of setting a time goal, maybe you should listen to your body and lack of motivation. If you continue, just to meet a pre-set goal (probably an arbitrary and nice round number) you may defeat the entire purpose. Why not scrap the long rides, do some nice easy stuff and get your motivation back.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna do a 2-3 hour steady/easy ride on the flat (both long rides this week have had a hefty amount of hills) today, maybe less depending on how I feel. I think it was the first day of the week that did me in...was real hot (i'm in new zealand) and I think I got a lil dehydrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds better. I've been dehydrated too and nothing zaps your motivation more than that. A few hours at a nice pace, a good meal, lots of fluid and a good sleep and you might find that motivation back.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 16 year old was in New Zealand for a fue days this year.
I think Christ Church .
he was their in the end july
He didn't like the wet weather
he brought me some nice wool sox
got them on now it's 30f out side

dirt
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]my 16 year old was in New Zealand for a fue days this year.
I think Christ Church .
he was their in the end july
He didn't like the wet weather
he brought me some nice wool sox
got them on now it's 30f out side

dirt[/reply]

Well hell, he was there in the winter!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Listen to your body. >>

I agree, but the catch is determining whether it is your body or your mind that is providing the feedback. My experience has been that our minds may "come to the rescue" in an attempt to protect the body. In some cases, until we prove to the mind that going beyond it's perceived limits is not going to end life as we know it, we will fall short of some opportunity for positive stimulus and adaptation that would otherwise be a true breakthrough experience. That is what I have experienced at Epic Camps. However, there is a fine line and it can be a risky undertaking. It's not for everybody. That's why Molina and Gordo have called it "no liabilty" training and suggested athletes go into it with their eyes wide open.

KP
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you do when your body gets very good at tricking the mind?
Quote Reply
Re: 30 plus hour training weeks [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the F-man dishing out rhetorical Qs!

You get injured, sick or drop out of the sport because it is no longer fun.

There's risk, mang :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,
30 hrs+ week is crazy.I do not care what what kind of intensity you work at it is still too much.
Is this an experiment of some sort? to see how much your body can take before you crush and burn.
Not everybody is Lance Armstrong.Like everything else there is a point of diminishing return in training,too.
Watch out.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like what Coach KP said. I hope to do Epic camp sometime in the next few years. Fulla this sounds crazy but I think you are on the right track but maybe you should cut out the intensity. Most pros train about this much during the "final 7" weeks leading up to IM. I think for a good age grouper to raise their game it might just take finding your limit through some heavy volume periods like this.

Good luck, back off the intensity, carbs!!! protein!!!! calories!!!!!! Sleep!!!!!

Find your limit

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next