Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 week running break in marathon build
Quote | Reply
I'm training for the Chicago marathon on October 11. I was forced to take a 2 week break from all running and am now starting to build up runs again, hopefully a long run will be possible next weekend. How detrimental to my race goals will this 2 week break plus week or two build up be on my race goals?

I'm shooting for sub-3. My 5k and 10k race times indicate potential comparing to McMillan times and my tempo runs were giving me more confidence. I've only run one standalone marathon in the past and that was 2012 where i blew up at 20miles though on only 30mpw running. Now my weekly mileage in the 10 prior weeks has been 40-50/week. 5 weeks to race day and my longest run has been 17.5 miles with long runs over the past 10 weeks gradually increasing to that number. I had hoped for 2 20 mile runs over the entire plan with my first set for this weekend (obviously being put off). I've biked nearly every day in the 2 week break.

Should i just automatically reset my race goal or should i be able to gut out the sub-3?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many years have you been running? Until this build, how long is your base
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about the 20 mile runs at this point. Just get in a lot of easy 1 hour runs, varying length marathon pace runs and 2 or 3 16-18 mile runs. Go with a short taper since you aren't weary from 18 straight weeks of running. The Sunday before should be a smooth 13 miler and taper from there.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer: Sep 4, 15 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
assuming that the biking during the off-time had enough volume and intensity, you should have kept most or all of your fitness. Can you run a half-marathon sometime in September? that would be a pretty good way to judge current fitness.

you say 'my 5k and 10k times indicate potential comparing to mcmillan time...'. Do you mean you are running close to 38 flat for 10k now? Or just that you are close, say somewhere 38:30 to 39:00 ? There is a fair difference, and if you pace your marathon a bit to optimistically, then it goes badly much more often than not :-)

for me, even 20 mile training runs are a little short if i want to race under 3 hours. I'd prefer to have a couple at 22-23 miles and 5 or 6 runs of about 20 miles. But thats my own outlook. lots of people do very well with the 20 miles as the upper limit of training.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
How many years have you been running? Until this build, how long is your base

2008 was my first year of any legitimate type of running with many lessons learned and injury breaks. 2011 to now have been more consistent where i have 20-30mpw when you average across an entire year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
you say 'my 5k and 10k times indicate potential comparing to mcmillan time...'. Do you mean you are running close to 38 flat for 10k now? Or just that you are close, say somewhere 38:30 to 39:00 ? There is a fair difference, and if you pace your marathon a bit to optimistically, then it goes badly much more often than not :-)

Thanks for the feedback. I did a spring 10k at 37:54.

I would love to do multiple runs over 20 miles but the fear of injuring myself before i get to the start line has kept me conservative in the length of my long runs. I'm hoping frequency of runs helps out a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
I'm training for the Chicago marathon on October 11. I was forced to take a 2 week break from all running and am now starting to build up runs again, hopefully a long run will be possible next weekend. How detrimental to my race goals will this 2 week break plus week or two build up be on my race goals?

I'm shooting for sub-3. My 5k and 10k race times indicate potential comparing to McMillan times and my tempo runs were giving me more confidence. I've only run one standalone marathon in the past and that was 2012 where i blew up at 20miles though on only 30mpw running. Now my weekly mileage in the 10 prior weeks has been 40-50/week. 5 weeks to race day and my longest run has been 17.5 miles with long runs over the past 10 weeks gradually increasing to that number. I had hoped for 2 20 mile runs over the entire plan with my first set for this weekend (obviously being put off). I've biked nearly every day in the 2 week break.

Should i just automatically reset my race goal or should i be able to gut out the sub-3?

Perfect timing for your question. I was into the last block of IM training for Tahoe when my ITB flared up. I haven't run since Aug 23rd (12 days), but it still hasn't healed. I've been biking / swimming per my schedule, but if I can't return to running in the next 3-4 days, I'm pulling the plug on Tahoe. Really disappointing too, but much beyond the 2 week mark, I really question my ability to run even the first half of the marathon. Fortunately, I haven't registered. Unfortunately, I've already paid for the house and plain tickets, so I'll get to spectate at an Ironman for the first time.

To your question, though, I'd honestly lower your goal and run more conservatively. Worst case scenario, you negative split your marathon. But, you should be able to get in some longer tempo runs to see how your target pace feels. Problem is: you just won't know if you can maintain that for 26 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have enough speed. and likely have more after a summer's training. i hear you about the worry of injury. I'd still recommend a half-marathon before Chicago. two weeks out is ideal, assuming you recover reasonably well. If you tend to take a lot longer to recover from race efforts than other people, then maybe three weeks out.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What forced the 2 week break?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To pull the plug on not hurting oneself is smart. To think that missing two weeks of running if biking, swimming and the rest of your build with running.....and if running in off season, well that 2 weeks would not keep you from being able to run in an IM if not hurt still. Might effect a Kona qualifing time, but not that much overall
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race the 70.3 if you are not able to do the full. Going to be a great day

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Race the 70.3 if you are not able to do the full. Going to be a great day

Wish I could, but right now, I can't run even a mile. From 35 mpw since January to zero in a week. I've run through knee pain and even Achilles tendinitis, but ITB stops me from running completely.

I plan to ride the course and get in a swim as recon for next year. Really hope this race doesn't go away. Sad to see WTC create gems like St. George and possibly Tahoe and then throw them away because they don't sell out. If not, I'll go back to Whistler; who knows how many more years that one will last.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 week running break in marathon build [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
To pull the plug on not hurting oneself is smart. To think that missing two weeks of running if biking, swimming and the rest of your build with running.....and if running in off season, well that 2 weeks would not keep you from being able to run in an IM if not hurt still. Might effect a Kona qualifing time, but not that much overall

If it magically feels much better and I can run soon, I might jump in. But, considering I haven't paid my $750, that's a lot of money to pay to walk the better part of 26.2 miles!

I'm amazed at how persistent it's been this time, though. I had the same problem between Whistler and Kona last year. Took a week off and was able to resume running.
Quote Reply