Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats?
Quote | Reply
In the latest USAT Nats e-mail update it looks like they might be changing the number of slots and rolldown method:

Team USA Chicago 2015
The 2014 Olympic-Distance and Sprint Distance National Championships will qualify athletes for the 2015 International Triathlon Union (ITU) Short Course (Olympic Distance) and Sprint Course Triathlon Age Group World Championships. The 2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final and World Championships will be held in Chicago in September 2015. There will be 25 slots available per age group for each race distance on Team USA, with the number of additional slots to be made available via the pass-down rule yet to be determined.

Is this correct? The race website still mentions 18 slots rolling down only to the top 25 eligible. Anyone know what is up?

Quote | Reply
I thought I heard talk of this last year, that the home country might get more slots. I'm sure financially it works a little better for them to get some of us bubble folks in there!

I'd rather be top-18, but wouldn't kick an extended top-25 slot out of bed...

To your main questions though - no, I know nothing.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if it is still the same, but back years ago when I was on the board, the host country for Worlds gets unlimited slots basically and the national federation decides how many they actually want to offer. This came into play back when Worlds were in Honolulu and the Nationals race in KC which was the only team qualifier for that year got canceled due to lightning on race morning on the course. They allowed anyone who really thought they would have made it to Worlds to sign up. Some age groups ended up with 20+ US entrants.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprised...I think they did it when LCN was in Nevada
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well, there you go. Thanks!

Quote | Reply
Whatever they do, I hope they change the pay process. I was shocked to see full AG's of 20 before the cutoff in May for Edmonton. Then when folks had to pay the full amount,
like 60% dropped out. So, make folks pay full like Kona at Nationals. Then IMO, use the AA's to roll down the rest of the team. My input to Tim is lets fill the teams since it is
in the US, even if some think some are too slow. Anyone other than the top in the AG is "slow", so why should others care.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are leaving the roll down option open for now, so maybe someone at USAT is paying attention.

Quote | Reply
Information on the website mentions a $50 deposit.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the competition is tight in the majority of the AGs beyond the top 25 I would recommend that USAT go beyond the top 25 in offering spots instead of going to the rankings. Just like Kona qualifying. You have to show up and race at the qualifying event(s). Don't have any problem with making folks pay full entry fee on the spot either when worlds is in Chicago and we know that worlds will be in September next year.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 29, 14 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend that the spots roll down at least as far as me.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Information on the website mentions a $50 deposit.

Yep, that has been their standard process which had 60% drop out at the end this year and no one else could be considered.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just have a different opinion. For the folks that are top AA's that are hurt or cannot afford to go, that would beat lower roll down folks, just seems if you want to have the strongest team,
there is balance for both. Plus puts a lot more value to be an AA and do at least 3 USAT races.

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
I would recommend that the spots roll down at least as far as me.

Word JayZ!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pndflyer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the above-25 roll-down could take several weeks, does anybody know how often qualifying athletes decide not to commit to the race? Does a 35th or 40th place finish in the 25-29 age group have a prayer?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [pndflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year it was top 13 and you had to be in top 25, or something like that. So, no chance then. But from what it sounds, this year will be different, they havne't said how far it will roll down. That will come out in a few weeks.

I hope they tell people how much it will cost total so people can make an educated decision about it. It's expensive to race, buy the kit etc. More than most people imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
last year it was top 13 and you had to be in top 25, or something like that. So, no chance then. But from what it sounds, this year will be different, they havne't said how far it will roll down. That will come out in a few weeks.

I hope they tell people how much it will cost total so people can make an educated decision about it. It's expensive to race, buy the kit etc. More than most people imagine.

If you have to ask what it costs, ...

For my wife and I for a week at Edmonton, I expect it will be around 5K. Ouch

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, I'm only talking about the race. Since world's is in Chicago, people can figure out their own trans costs etc, a lot of people will live near or know someone in Chi town and can drive etc, so it won't necessarily be those costs that will get people. But there is race entry and gear that is still more than what most people imagine. I don't remember what it would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 deep is F*cking ridiculous.

it amounts to a financial play and not a quality play. Going to worlds should be about being fast, not finishing. But we hashed that out recently somewhere on here.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree mostly but depends on the age group. Top 25 in 30-34 last year was still under 2:06
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I agree mostly but depends on the age group. Top 25 in 30-34 last year was still under 2:06

lucky me :/
Come on great day

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The host country gets access to unused slots to be sure that the field is substantial and they make money.

As for 25 deep, I completely disagree with it being ridiculous if you actually look at the 25th time for most AG's...20-24 is 2:02, 25-29 is just under 2:02, 30-34 under 2:05, 35-39 under 2:06 and all are less than 2 minutes to 18th in the same AG. In 25-29AG 18th was 2:01:08, 25th 2:01:58...so I don't think there are people that are going to embarrass themselves with those times.
Last edited by: Craig P: Jul 30, 14 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: 25 USA Team slots per AG now at USAT Nats? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and I have different definitions of fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That just got me an additional 90 seconds of hope.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next