Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedy, I would like to concur with previous statements...you have undertaken a time consuming thing here..and it is much appreciated. Although these last ten pounds really suck to take off, I have the monday morning weigh in facing me saturday mornings as I watch yet another movie on the trainer.

129 this week (*huge sigh*) up one from last week. Put me in cherry red.

two months, nine pounds to go. giddee up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I down to 175 lbs.

Hopefully the trend continues.

Roger/Hosspro
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [manna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noooooo. Say it aint so !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I AM a Large STEER! Lol!

203.6 this am.....ran my keester off and then a 4 am bike trainer session. My goal for this week is getting below 200 lbs.

Push your Passion!
Last edited by: dustytri: Feb 21, 06 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
191 I had the flu last week and am now trying to get my energy levels back so I can work out again.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Hey Kent, on the tracking page your all red. I think someone's messing with your mind. [/reply]

What is this "tracking page"?????

BTW, I slipped under my desired weight over the weekend. 134 now. Good problem to have I guess.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracking page

www.rollingthundercanada.com

Kent asked to be kept in the RED regardless of results

BTW - Check out the new Photo Gallery section & the updated pic of our "Accounts Receivable Dept" in the "About Us" section :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

I don't know how, I don't know why but the 0.5lb / week streak has ended.

0 lbs this week. 236.5 agian. (I weighed in unofficially friday at 234 and followed my plan over the weekend).

Ok, I have started running must be putting on muscle ya ya that sounds like a good excuse. Not changing anything eating wise, I feel good just not losing weight maybe my body has gone into "starvation" mode, well if thats the case then its just going to starve, and the lbs will have to start coming off eventually. I cant cut out much more.

6 am Breakfast. 3/4 cup of bran flakes 90 cal. plus a few ounces of skim milk.40 cal

11:30 Lunch about 3 - 400 cal meal

3:00 mid afternoon snack some days 200 cal or less

6 dinner small salad ? cal (no dressing) ~ 400 - 600 cal meal 16 oz skim milk 160 cal

thats about it so about 1700 cal on the high side, and maybe 1200 on the low side. if i skip the 3:00 snack I feel the Blood sugar drop and then I usually eat more at dinner anyhow. How am i no losing weight. Ok, maybe its time to keep a log, I must be cheating here and there more than I think but even if I add 300 more calories. I would still be inthe 2000 - 1500 range, at 6' 236lb I should be losing shouldn't I?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Have you considered hiring Lauren who helped us a few weeks back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Speedy - I weighed in...182 - in red this week after a rest week. Lots of miles to run this week though - should be dropping.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come parkito old man...we still got time to get into this race..get busy brother...we may be old but we aint dead. Don't make this a sub competition between you and me to see who the better man is..I'd hate to have to show you up.

All in all, I am quite happy with where I am at. I normally don't lose big time until May, June. This year, I am 4 pounds and 2 months ahead of where I was last year, weight-wise. Training-wise, I swam 24,500 yds and ran 24.8 miles last week, and got in my first outdoor ride of the year. My run pace is also a couple of months ahead of last year. If I hit 140 by the end of March, I will be in fabulous shape for the upcoming season.

I also think that all the extra swimming has caused a few body composition changes. My skinny jeans are loose, my wedding ring, which I normally move to my middle finger when swimming, is loose on the middle finger. I feel bulkier up top, but my wife says I look more defined. I am taking a big guess that I may have put on a pound or two of muscle, and that my BF is less than the my traditional estimate of 16% (for this weight). I need a test.

Unless I am riding 200+ miles a week outside, anything over a pound a week weight loss is extraordinary for me.

Now, as for you, I may just have to get medieval on your ass, if for nothing else but to repay the favor you did for me when I started this friendly little challange.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
230, I guess rugby doesn't burn as many calories as shoveling.

At least we won the tournament, and I got a black eye to show off at work :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday weigh in : 175.6 (Hit 174 over the weekend but must have been a bit dehydrated)

I guess it's holding steady. I'm definitely off pace for the 20 by 4/15. I start adding swimming in to the training next week. Hopefully that will help.

Good luck everyone!!!

Bob

What the mind can concieve and believe, it can achieve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weigh-in for Feb 20: 174

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
254, still using the faulty scale though

Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent work, well done

9 lbs in 4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rpombrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't replace the scale, it seems to be giving you the numbers :-)

Two weeks in a row in the Blue !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, inspiring for sure, but unfortunately I think my actual weight is 10-15 pounds above what the home scale says, so how accurate is it? I'm hoping it's just off by the 10-15 and each pount lost on it is a genuine pound loss - going to keep operating on that assumption for awhile since I almost have to buy new belts now.

Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rpombrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all relative. As long as you use the same scale, it's all good. I have one more belt notch to go before I have to get another belt :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap man - I'm up 1 lb on last week. Back up to 204 this week. Ran 21 miles of hills in the mud and snow on Saturday so I was sure that I burned about a gagillion calories. Bummer.

Cheers, Paul

------------
RD: The Tarawera Ultramarathon
http://www.taraweraultra.co.nz
------------
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [trinewbiehank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the guys at HAMMER NUTRITION

Increase Lean Muscle, Lose Fat : 24 Helpful Hints

It's not to late to get started with your New Year's resolutions, especially the one regarding losing that unwanted weight gained over the holidays. Dr. Bill has written a new article that we think you'll find very helpful, especially when you combine his suggestions with Appestat.

Everyone should be thinking now about how to achieve early "fighting weight" before the competitive season arrives. The holidays tend to add 5-9 lbs extra body weight, which tend to slow down ascents and prolonged performance significantly. Every year this extra "padding" seems to grow rather than disappear completely. One of the best nutritional examples of lean fighting weight is Lance Armstrong who consistently defeated great athletes in the Tour de France such as Jan Ullrich, whose off-season weight-gain is considered performance limiting.

A Synopsis Of Principles + Helpful Hints

We scientists are not ignorant that it is difficult to motivate non-scientists to read or attempt to interpret lengthy collected research data that conclude findings, associations, and generalizations. For those of you who want to know what works, what does not work, and how to naturally settle into your "fighting weight", the following Principles and Helpful Hints are listed:

Effective Weight Loss Principles

Total calorie intake is the cause of weight gain. Total calorie expenditures are the cause of weight loss. A calorie-restriction weight loss intervention must include balance menu, safe if dietary supplements are used, and gradual weight loss, followed immediately by a planned commitment to permanent healthy "Lifestyle" change.

The effectual weight management program emphasizes lifestyle-training modifications with each of the following goal PRINCIPLES:
  • Gradual Change to healthful eating patterns characterized by increased intake of whole grains, seeds, nuts, fish, fruits, and vegetables, with a decrease intake of high saturated fat foods, and processed empty-calorie foods.
  • Non-Restrictive Eating is based on internal regulation of hunger pangs, which reduces calorie overdose by increasing frequency of small-portion nutrient-rich, calorie-sparse plant foods.
  • Make Physical Activity Enjoyable emphasizing and gradual well tolerated to achieve a minimum of 30 minutes exercise daily.
  • Set Realistic Goals that focus on healthful eating practices and increased physical activity. Goals include halting weight gain first, stabilizing weight second, and weight loss lastly as a natural outcome of activity's effect generating a small calorie-deficit. The end reward is significant impact effect on health.
  • Eat A Variety Of Foods Choose small portions from whole grains (6-11 servings), vegetables (3-5 servings), and fruits (2-4 servings) including (2-4 servings) from a non-animal protein source (fish, nuts, beans, legumes, sprouts, seeds). Limit amount of food to small portions. Limit foods that lack nutrients or are high in fat and processed sugar.
  • Balance Calorie Intake With Active Calorie Expense Complete a minimum of 30 minutes moderate aerobic physical activity daily.
  • Food Choices: Whole Grains, Vegetables, And Fruits These include high complex carbohydrate whole grain bread, whole grain cereal, whole grain pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, cauliflower, pinto, navy, kidney, and black beans.
  • Food Choices: Choose Low Total Fat, Low Saturated Fat, And Low Cholesterol Foods Some foods and food groups are too high in fat. Fats and oils, and some types of desserts and snack foods that contain fat provide more calories than necessary nutrients. Certain foods should be limited: milk, meat, eggs, poultry, processed grains. These foods elevate homocysteine, saturated fat, and blood sugar resulting in calorie excess. "Limited" implies consuming small portions no more than 1-2 times per week.
  • Food Choices: Foods Low In Simple Sugar And Low Glycemic Index Evidence shows that foods high in simple sugar or with a high glycemic index contribute to weight gain, hyperactivity, and potentially insulin resistance syndrome, or diabetes. The most common type of diabetes occurs in overweight adults. Avoiding sugars or high glycemic foods alone will not correct overweight. Weight loss and weight control depends on total calorie intake and calorie deficits created by the level of physical activity.
  • Food Choices: Choose Low Sodium Foods Sodium plays an essential role in regulation of fluids and blood pressure. Many studies in diverse populations have shown that a high sodium intake is associated with higher blood pressure. Most evidence suggests that people at risk for high blood pressure reduce their chances of developing this condition by consuming less salt or sodium.

Tell Me What To Do & What Not To Do!

Most people will naturally migrate to their natural-healthy body weight by regular daily exercise following the DO's and DO NOTS' of this weight management lifestyle:

1. DO reduce carbohydrate calorie intake by 30-50%.
2. DO increase plant foods, vegetable and fruit intake by 25-33%.
3. DO replace fluid losses starting with 1-1.3 fluid ounces per kilogram (or 0.5-0.7 fluid ounces liquid per pound) body weight per day.
4. DO limit calorie intake later in the day; consume last meal 3 hours prior to bedtime. (This does not imply that calorie timing neglects total daily calorie intake.) 5. DO reduce excess fat calories from meat, dairy, or dairy byproducts.
6. DO prolong aerobic exercise or frequent short anaerobic exercise to increases the rate of weight loss daily.
7. DO restrict calorie weight-loss periods to 3 weeks length resulting in small gradual weight loss, then include a reward of 3-7 days "Vacation" options to a menu plan that includes both no calorie-restriction and no calorie-excess controls.
8. DO limit weight loss rate to 0.5-1.0 pound weight loss each week.
9. DO consume a minimum 1,500 (+/- 300) calories per day during calorie restriction periods only.
10. DO limit fatty meats and processed food calories.
11. DO consume a variety of nutritionally balanced foods in calorie-restriction protocols.
12. DO set realistic weight loss goals that result in slow, moderate body mass change (avoid setting immediate unrealistic goals).
13. DO NOT adopt temporary dietary protocol apart from a permanent "Lifestyle" change.
14. DO NOT impose hunger severity initiating stages of starvation.
15. DO NOT allow rapid weight loss, which has been implicated in the fast weight regain in the off-season.
16. DO NOT take stimulants, steroids, or diuretics.
17. DO NOT diet with excess protein above 1.6 grams protein per kilogram ( > .75 grams/lb) body weight.
18. DO NOT diet with an excess intake of foods rich in saturated fat from dairy, animal, or poultry byproducts.
19. DO NOT consume excess amounts of packaged or fast foods
. 20. DO NOT attempt a weight management lifestyle without required regular daily exercise.
21. DO NOT eat foods with processed Trans Fatty Acids (TFA) also called partially or completely hydrogenated vegetable fats; found in many packaged foods and processed baked goods.
22. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL Alcoholic beverages supply high calories but few nutrients. The effects of alcohol alter judgment and can lead to dependency and a great many other serious health problems. Experimental evidence from several metabolic studies showed a suppression of lipid oxidation by alcohol and thus the enhancement of a positive fat balance. The non-oxidized fat is preferentially deposited in the abdominal area. The experimental metabolic evidence suggests that the consumption of moderate amounts of alcohol has to be accounted for in the energy-balance equation and may represent a risk factor for the development of a positive energy balance and thus weight gain.
23. DO NOT eat excess calories above calorie expenditures more than 1 meal per week.
24. DO NOT eat high amounts of carbohydrates except after intense workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything this article said....

However, please note that I DO find that most people (even athletes, except elite ones) looking to lose weight cannot apply these principles (very easy to understand, all of them) into THEIR own lives.

There seems to be a disconnect between these 'wise principles' and each person able to identify (or change) themselves.

For example, I was told by a client, "I've heard that a person can eat whatever he/she wants if it's a carb because endurance athletes need carbs". The second part is true (endurance athletes need carbs) but it doesn't mean that 'everything carb' is good for an active athlete. And there are healthier carbs than empty carbs!

My voice is hoarse from trying to state the obvious:

1) athletes need the most nutrition-dense foods, so lay off the chocolate-covered sugar-bombs although they ARE carbs
2) stop trying to argue for your non-beneficial food addictions, like diet sodas
3) why drink alcohol to excess if it isn't helping you
4) if you starve yourself you will be harming your fitness-progress

The biggest thing I want to tell people (especially those on this challenge) is to be aware of what things you tell yourself, like "My x-number of Diet Cokes per day are fine".

Rule of thumb: if your food isn't helping you, it might be hurting you somehow: it's my "beneficial eating" point of view.

Please, everyone, have great fat loss and a wonderful season, but don't continue to fool yourself that those "harmless habits" are that harmless.... bet if you dropped the habits you'd do wonderfully well.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [manna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up a pound, 1st time in the RED :-(

One amazing week of business, one terrible week of training (zero). I'm a Cub Leader & I spent the weekend winter camping (-12C) eating food that's great for growing, energetic boys. Not so great for old fat guys.

Next week will be a 2 pounder !!!

www.rollingthundercanada.com
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday weigh in...181.5...we'll go glass half full and say 181 this week.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll see you at 180 next week

Site's been updated

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply

Prev Next