Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Cervelo the leader by a mile.
Ventum and Dimond well represented tho.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimond as lost 1/3 of there bike from 2016 to 2017 so definitely a significant drop.

Canyon is the big mover with a 300% growth and now at 100+ bikes. And this number will only go up if canyon can figure out a proper distribution to canada and usa.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon reminds me of the Cervelo of 15 years ago. New kid on the block getting a few bikes in the count, then marching up each year while knocking off huge bike companies along the way. Cervelo had to take down Trek, the behemoth in the bike industry and they have not looked back since taking that top spot.

Only question is does Cervelo continue to innovate and hold all those athletes, seems so to me. Trek was an easy take down along with Cannondale and a few of the others, just too big with too many levels to me nimble enough to make those quick changes and adaptations. Cervelo is now a very big company too, but did they retain that nimbleness? Time will tell, but I predict in two years that Canyon takes over 2nd place from Trek..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why Canyon is so popular. I am sure they are nice bikes and the price is Ok, but not stellar. Decent aero, but still behind Cervelo and Trek and probably whatever the new Shiv will be). A lot of money to spend on a bike you can't even test ride and have no direct access to spare parts.

I am also a bit surprised that Felt doesn't do a bit better.

The wheel count is interesting with Zipp have about 5-6 times as many wheels as ENVE in 2nd place. That is pretty much the definition of dominant.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I don’t find the Canyon bikes attractive. I also don’t understand why Felt hasn’t grown to 3rd place. They are consistently 4th. The new draft box and calpac should make the IA sell more

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Javelin 1, Griffen 1 oh my
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of Dan's Premier bikes.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time that Cervelo number has fallen, maybe 25% is saturation level for a bike brand.

Aerobar count shows that last year was a bit of an error where a lot of Profile bars got counted as 'other'

Zipp (wheels), ISM (saddles) and Shimano (groupsets) totally dominating their categories as usual
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been wondering how Shimano has such high numbers compared to SRAM. Are they offering bike companies large discounts to spec their group sets?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're speccing a bike that you want to be easy to sell you put Shimano on it. Can get away with SRAM on CX and Gravel, but apart from Etap it's a risky proposition to spec SRAM. And obviously Etap is only for your highest price model.
It's been a while since I've done any bike spec, but last I was - SRAM had much shorter lead times and good pricing. It's just that the market for road going bikes wants Shimano. Shimano doesn't need to give any favours.
And Ultegra Di2 is the cheapest electronic groupset, would be interesting to have a further breakdown of the Shimano numbers to see how big that set is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano is pretty well entrenched. Also remeber that ETap stuff wasn't readily available 12 months ago. They seemed to be supply constrained until about Feb/March
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of those Tacticsls was in 1st place for 90 of the 112 miles. 55-59. Ended 4th

He had me ship the bike to Kona- built and fitted him yesterday - great result.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Javelin 1, Griffen 1 oh my

I have a Javelin bike (no kidding) best ever :P

But Argon is up there, no fan-fare just good bikes I guess?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was a bit of an anomaly as there wasn't any product experts there to count bars. But this year, myself and Thorsten from PD were the counters and you can see that the numbers do seem to match historical numbers much better.
FWIW, we try to identify the clip/cup assembly to count. If we can't identify it (which is rare), we go to the basebar and then to the extensions. Ideally, we would have more counter to count extension only as those seem to be what most athletes will change in the AM.

Quote | Reply
 Those Cannondale numbers. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The annual Kona bike count is always something interesting to look at and talk about.

It is and is not something definitive on what is going on in the market. You can link up some cause and effect in one place, and then that means nothing else where.

What it is is really a snap-shot in time of the bikes being used in Kona. The key thing is to look at the trends and who is moving, in what direction and what is the influence.

Canyon clearly has been the big mover from last year to this year. Why is that? It could be a combination of things - the sales model they are using, the quality/performance of the product, the success of their marquee athletes - Jan Frodeno, and less so Patrick Lange. Whatever the case, they are on the move, and my guess is that Canyon number will grow next year, at other brands expense.

That Cervelo is the dominant brand is no surprise - what is surprising is that no one has come even close to them in years now, and the trend looks to continue for at least a few more years. For Cervelo, the success is really rooted in the original innovation and performance of the product and some momentum that has built up over 10 - 15 years.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's got to sting for Diamondback that three years and two bikes into their push, they only had 7 bikes in the race at Kona.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
It's got to sting for Diamondback that three years and two bikes into their push, they only had 7 bikes in the race at Kona.

They have overpriced bikes that aren't visually appealing to the masses.

I am really shocked Felt IA didnt up the game for felt...or even Fuji..they got some well priced bike, maybe not super aero but well priced for the specs.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diamondback is not Carried by a lot of LBS. felt is ridiculously expensive (when compared to others). How long until canyon overtakes cervelo that’s the question
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Diamondback went with the direct-sales strategy early. They were selling the Serios this way two years ago! They may have been ahead of their time. Canyon, will create a greater acceptance of selling bikes, directly online, and I am sure the other players will benefit from this.

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long until canyon overtakes cervelo that’s the question

It will be a while. I don't know how many years, but it's going to be a number of years until anyone knocks Cervelo off of that #1 spot.

It took Cervelo a long time to get there, and since then, they have been doing a number of things right, to stay there. Although, clearly we are into some changing and transitional times in the triathlon business/market, and this is often where you do see, some changes.

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Lava Mag Kona Bike Count [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought surely with the IA Felt would climb higher. With the new draft box and updated calpac, these should sell better than a P2/P3? They have been 4th for a while now in the count.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought surely with the IA Felt would climb higher.

What this is starting to show, as the dominance carries on, at least in the Kona Count, is the strong momentum that Cervelo has, as a brand. They really have become THE brand in the triathlon bike market. A mid summer poll here on Slowtwitch confirmed that the popularity of the Cervelo brand goes a lot further than the pier in Kona.

What does this mean? It means they are the first brand that people think about when they thing about triathlon bikes. They are the brand most recommended by others when people ask what to buy. I'm sure they are the most asked-for brand in triathlon and bike shops around North America - even in non-Cervelo dealers!

To take Cervelo on - you'll have to somehow try and move the needle on those three points in the previous paragraph. It won't be easy!

Quote Reply

Prev Next