Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 Ironman Rule Changes
Quote | Reply
Saw the following and figured a few people would be interested in the 2017 rule changes. Pretty minor but I like to see the 1-minute yellow card penalty. It at least will provide some consistency in the yellow cards. I was hoping to see a *unintentional drafting* penalty implemented where drafting cards can be given for minor drafting infractions, maybe next year.

http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2017/02/know-the-rules-for-2017.aspx#axzz4ZtgJKK2B

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification. For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.
App-based live tracking.
Remote live coaching (e.g. via Connect IQ app.)
Last edited by: uucee: Feb 27, 17 23:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
Quote:
With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification. For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.
App-based live tracking.

If I read this correctly, seems it is a subjective rule, which if so, many not be a good rule.

The was this is written now says I can have a cell phone one me like for tracking, or taking video, as long as I do not touch it or look at it?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
uucee wrote:
Quote:
App-based live tracking.

If I read this correctly, seems it is a subjective rule, which if so, many not be a good rule.

The was this is written now says I can have a cell phone one me like for tracking, or taking video, as long as I do not touch it or look at it?

Yeah, that rule is too subjective.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In an effort to better define the rule prohibiting bare torsos during the bike and run, and to align with the global standard, uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum). If not remedied promptly, athletes will be issued a disqualification."

This one doesn't seem minor. DQ for a zipper down?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
"In an effort to better define the rule prohibiting bare torsos during the bike and run, and to align with the global standard, uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum). If not remedied promptly, athletes will be issued a disqualification."

That's better than the open interpretation from before. I received a penalty at Augusta for having my suit unzipped.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._WTC_races_P6090152/

This at least provides a black and white rule (more or less) compared to the vague rule from before which didn't address a zippered tri suit at all.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:

Sounds to me like you will be given a verbal warning to zip it up. As usual it is written too subjectively, and refs will handle it differently. Why not write: "Athletes who are repeatedly seen on the course with their zipper below the sternum; and/or who refuse to pull it up when requested by a referee will be issued a disqualification."
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Athletes who are repeatedly seen on the course with their zipper below the sternum; and/or who refuse to pull it up when requested by a referee will be issued a disqualification."

-------

I *think* because there is now not going to be options for you to repeatedly be on the course with zipper down. It's pretty simple:

You are running with your zipper down....Refs spot that and the following occurs:

Ref- tells you to rectify it now

You have 2 options- promptly zipp it up or be DQ'd. You don't get to think about it, you either do as the ref says when prompted to or you don't continue.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the reasoning for that rule? Provided my number is displayed, why do they care if I want to unzip my top all the way, or even take it off? Also, what about back zip tri suits? Does it matter how far you unzip those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32C0eKRQVt8

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How promptly is promptly? Is it instantaneously or are you allowed 5-10 seconds to process the command while you are in the fog of the IM marathon? The point is that while the intent is clear, the rule itself is not, and is subjective enough where one ref would DQ and another would not. Note further that there are full zip tri kits that if the zipper is at the point of the sternum, and depending on the stretch across the chest, they will start unzipping themselves.

IMHO this is a stupid rule that didn't need to change. Why not just go to rear zippers like ITU if a visible torso is so horribly offensive? Finally, do you think this rule helps attract customers to triathlon at a time of declining participation? Let them have at it at IM70.3 St Croix, Cozumel, Florida, Miami, Puerto Rico, etc. ... enforce it hard and see if that helps registration numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
What is the reasoning for that rule? Provided my number is displayed, why do they care if I want to unzip my top all the way, or even take it off? Also, what about back zip tri suits? Does it matter how far you unzip those?

They are trying to keep rules standardized for all IMs around the world. In the US nobody is going to care about a slightly bare torso, but in the middle east that can be offensive. The rule exists to avoid issues in locations where showing too much skin is considered inappropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's subjective if you want it to be subjective?

How quickly do you think prompt is? Like if an official tells you to do something, you simply do it. You don't argue, you don't complain, you do it. So do I think you get some time, of course you do. But arguing this rule is now subjective, give me a break.

Do we really need every rule to have exact details? Are you really arguing over the definition of "prompt"???? Seriously?

ETA: Like I said I already told you how the process will occur.....you get prompted by the official to zip up your jersey. If you do not choose to then yes you will be DQ'd. It's not that hard is it? That's how I read the rule. You obviously read it differently. Fair enough.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 28, 17 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it will go down as you say the majority of the time. I am also certain that there will be some refs that just DQ people without a warning because they got up on the wrong side of bed. Just wait. And I think this is just one more negative rule that harms participation. If USAT tried to adopt this rule in South Florida, they could single handedly decimate casual participation. I would say the majority of men race shirtless in the summer here and the women are in sports bras. ITU officials would be shocked, shocked!! Eff 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And when that oddity actually happens like that, then fair game to call out the rule. Until then, simply do as your told by an official when told to. End of story and you won't have an issue.

I think this is not even an issue, why because people aren't even going to know this is a rule, until they get called out for it during the race. Maybe they hear about it in the *mandatory* race meetings, but it still won't even register to them until they have an official saying "Hey Huff, zip up your zipper".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TJ56 wrote:

That's better than the open interpretation from before. I received a penalty at Augusta for having my suit unzipped.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._WTC_races_P6090152/

This at least provides a black and white rule (more or less) compared to the vague rule from before which didn't address a zippered tri suit at all.

does this rule apply equally to men AND women ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I think it will go down as you say the majority of the time. I am also certain that there will be some refs that just DQ people without a warning because they got up on the wrong side of bed. Just wait. And I think this is just one more negative rule that harms participation. If USAT tried to adopt this rule in South Florida, they could single handedly decimate casual participation. I would say the majority of men race shirtless in the summer here and the women are in sports bras. ITU officials would be shocked, shocked!! Eff 'em.

It never ceases to amaze me how low the threshold for outrage has gotten in the internet age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same in Texas. Most local races you see a lot of shirtless guys. But this rule is just brand-specific to Ironman, not USAT. USAT gives the RD's a lot of discretion for how they run their races so I don't think you'll see this be an issue outside of Ironman. Personally it doesn't bother me for a brand to have regulations like this that are uniform, pardon the pun.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how low the threshold for outrage has gotten in the internet age.

Where is the outrage? This merely rises to the level of 'eye rolling' at bureaucratic nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:

So... the ref can be trusted to know where my sternum is? Precisely? Or will he execute a quick grope to get it right?

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Where is the outrage? This merely rises to the level of 'eye rolling' at bureaucratic nonsense.

I guess I was confused by the multiple exclamation points and the, "Eff 'em"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

They are trying to keep rules standardized for all IMs around the world. In the US nobody is going to care about a slightly bare torso, but in the middle east that can be offensive. The rule exists to avoid issues in locations where showing too much skin is considered inappropriate.

This rule is BS and that rationale is infuriating if true. So should women cover up their faces as well? Is IM attire supposed to be more modest than a public beach or swimming pool? I don't see any benefit at all. But I guess Wanda can do as they like.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just need to look at Kona and the number of people in photos that would get warnings. As for women here not sure how it applies as a sports bra covers sternum.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...un_images__6070.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the loophole! I'm going to keep the zipper in place and pull it up to my sternum.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
noofus wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

This rule is BS and that rationale is infuriating if true. So should women cover up their faces as well? Is IM attire supposed to be more modest than a public beach or swimming pool? I don't see any benefit at all. But I guess Wanda can do as they like.

Really... my first response to the "inappropriate" comment was an intellectual "wait.. what???" I'd love to hear Jimmy back that one up, as I can't believe this is the reason. It's a stupid rule at any rate when talking about a zippered suit. Completely topless is a little silly yes but OK, I'd give them that one (I wouldn't race topless anyway).

There's lots of time on the run at Cozumel the zipper was below the sternum. It's cooler that way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next