Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 Elite Qualifying Races
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Just curious if we could possibly get a thread going with races we know will have at least $20,000 USD for elites in 2017. I know the list is small. The only ones I can think of are:

St. Anthony's Triathlon
New York City Triathlon

Any more?

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [UOTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering this, too. I'm pretty sure all the Ironman and 70.3 races in the US (that is, the ones that have elite fields at all) have at least $20,000 in prize money. Also, the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. I'm sure there are a few others?

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [gingersnaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should say Im looking for non Ironman and 70.3 races. Escape is too good call... but also ludicrously expensive now...

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
Hi all. Just curious if we could possibly get a thread going with races we know will have at least $20,000 USD for elites in 2017. I know the list is small. The only ones I can think of are:

St. Anthony's Triathlon
New York City Triathlon

Any more?

Maybe some of the Major League Triathlon races if it is around? Maybe Des Moines again? Maybe Quassy? My suggestion would just be to do 70.3. This is where triathlon and prize money is anyhow.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas. I think you are 100% correct. 70.3 is really where its at but I'm just curious. No more payouts at LifeTime and no more Toyota series really killed the non draft short course racing off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the MLT races will qualify considering the race has to be "over the same distance".

One thing that was added for 2016 which is interesting is "CRITERIA G: Achieve a gender-graded Race Score of 103.57 or higher at two events with 500 or more total (male and female) participants...."
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/Membership-Services/Elite-Membership/Qualification

"Easiest" way to get it is through Criteria F in my opinion.

Take a look at this list from 2016 and check back for it once updated in 2017. https://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_Triathlon/PDF/Elite-International/2016-Elite-Prize-Purse-Calendar-Final.pdf?la=en

For IM Events, look here: http://eu.ironman.com/...n.aspx#axzz4KtG5v1Wj
(Gerlach FYI, races are up through June)

Found the link here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/Elite

Off topic, but interesting to find that USAT now is tracking prize money on their site, although it does not include Challenge, well at least it didn't include Challenge Iceland, so not sure how they are selecting races as I see Roth was included...........https://www.teamusa.org/.../Prize-Money-Leaders

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Des Moinea has been a PQ for a couple years now. Not sure how the MLT races will fall in their either. Only other I can think of is Alcatraz and AGNC.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they have $20,000 purse still at Des Moines?

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, option G is curious. Though tricky as the rankings can be funky sometimes with how races are scored. I blasted past the course record out here at a somewhat larger than normal Olympic course this summer by around 2 minutes over the hilly course and only got a 99. Whereas at some dinky sprint race I was 106.5. Interesting.

Looks like really the "easy" way is like what you say, option F. Looks like a fair bit of 70.3 are qualifiers. Thats probably the best route nowadays.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
Yeah, option G is curious. Though tricky as the rankings can be funky sometimes with how races are scored. I blasted past the course record out here at a somewhat larger than normal Olympic course this summer by around 2 minutes over the hilly course and only got a 99. Whereas at some dinky sprint race I was 106.5. Interesting.

Looks like really the "easy" way is like what you say, option F. Looks like a fair bit of 70.3 are qualifiers. Thats probably the best route nowadays.

If you go fast in good conditions, so does everyone else. If you do very well in poor conditions, you get a high score. Long transitions, difficult swims, windy bike, hot humid run do the trick. Longer distance races also give a greater opportunity to outperform the average athlete. Championship races score well and a lot of athlete overcook the race and have really slow times. Kona always scores really high if you have a good day because the conditions are so challenging (NWS, windy/hilly bike, really hot run and everyone is pushing it hard)

Option G looks like the simplest route that reduces variability the best. to meet "G" criteria, I'm probably beating 1/3 of the existing pro field at most races anyway. I almost made the cut at Kona last year, it was a sub 9:40. The top 150 of so males made that standard. It would be a nice goal for next year, not that I'd start racing pro, but just a fun challenge.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Sep 24, 16 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to do it at 2 events, not sure if you caught that part. And from my data points, it is not "easier" under Criteria G, so maybe we are just at two different spectrum's of the data.

FWIW, as 1 data point. I have never scored 106.5 (not even as a pro, although I have only done 2 races in NA). 2013 I qualified under Criteria F at 2 races (overall amateur at Vineman 70.3 & SouthBeach, and for point reference 2013 included a 9:03 at Kona & 8:58 at IMFL). 2014 qualified at one race, Challenge New Albany as OA amateur.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just replying to you to bump this.
any updates or where to find?
i'm just looking for some good races.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
UOTriathlete wrote:

St. Anthony's Triathlon
New York City Triathlon

Any more?

Maybe some of the Major League Triathlon races if it is around? Maybe Des Moines again? Maybe Quassy? My suggestion would just be to do 70.3. This is where triathlon and prize money is anyhow.

As I understand it the NA Rev3 races switch pro men/women on a yearly basis, so Quassy should be a pro womens race in 2017. Does this mean only AG women can qualify for a pro card, assuming the purse is over the $20k threshold? The purses at these races also depend on the number of registrations; so it will be hard to know for sure if they will meet that $20k amount beforehand. Quassy had a boatload of pro men this year, where as Maine only had 5 pro women. Will be interesting to see how many pro men venture up to Maine come August.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I would update the thread. Guess you can add the new img/premier escape series events to the list.....philly,...nations....des moines....lake geneva....new orleans.
Last edited by: gphin305: Feb 15, 17 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Criteria G also bumped up a tiny bit for 2017 as well. For those who are interested / curious:

CRITERIA G: Achieve a gender-graded Race Score of 103.64283 or higher at two events with 500 or more total (male and female) participants.

Now how many athletes that qualify through Criteria G and actually take their pro license is an entirely different question....

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hoping someone can answer this question for me:

It looks like Sarasota World Cup will also have a Draft Legal Sprint... So, assuming there are 200 participants, will the qualifying for this race fall under Criteria A, F or both?

CRITERIA A: Finish within 8% of the winning elite time on the same course as the elites (distance and format) in three USAT sanctioned events that offered a prize purse of $5,000 or greater. All three results must be from the same calendar year.

CRITERIA F: Finish top-3 overall in the amateur field at an Elite Qualifying Race.
2017 Elite Qualifying Races:
All triathlons sanctioned by an ITU recognized National Federation or the ITU with 200 or more participating athletes and a corresponding elite race in the same distance with $20,000 or more in elite prize money shall be Elite Qualifying Races. Please confirm prize purse amounts directly with race organizers.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to check but I dont think Sarasota will qualify criteria A because it's not the same race. You will be racing in a race without any elites. I think races such as an IM where you are racing at the same time only count. But that's just my take on it, because the elite race and the AG DL race will be raced as completely different races. In every IM or 70.3 or Philly Tri you are scored directly no matter whether pro/AG and doesnt matter when you start. But because you aren't actually racing the same event, but just on same course, you may not qualify criteria A. Atleast that's what I've been told.

I'd also think that AG DL race will be capped at likely 75 male/75 female and thus wont get the 200 participants. Is this Sarasota race an actual EDR or just an AG race?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an age group event but I believe will can have more than 75 athletes as last year there was 2 "waves" by age group under a certain age then over. So pretty much separate races all together.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That race will not be an elite card eligible race.. But it will be AG Worlds sprint qualifier.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:

St. Anthony's Triathlon
New York City Triathlon

Any more?

Going to add the Boulder Peak Tri to this one. It has a 20k purse again. So hard to find short races with money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
UOTriathlete wrote:

St. Anthony's Triathlon
New York City Triathlon

Any more?

Going to add the Boulder Peak Tri to this one. It has a 20k purse again. So hard to find short races with money.

The new OLY distance Escape Series....Philly, Lake Geneva, Des Moines, Nations, and New Orleans all qualify with $20k prize money..
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 20, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Elite Qualifying Races [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up on this, new orleans is now cancelled and Escape told me there will be "new and exciting" options added in 2018. wonder what that means

Quote Reply