Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Ultraman Hawaii Thread
Quote | Reply
With UM Hawaii on this weekend, might be good to start a thread in here for all of us following the exploits. I'm not on twitter, nor on the fb feeds of most of the athletes but on some of the fb feeds, so I can post updates in here and hopefully some of you can too. My ex Canadian Forces buddies Marty Raymond and Tony O"Keeffe back for another loop of the big island, Mike Coughlin from Sudbury Ontario probably going for the race win (or blow up trying) and Kevin and Katherine Becker out for their 4th Ultraman (if I have the numbers right) from Montreal. If I get anything off their feeds, I'll post in here. Plus Timothy Carlson from ST is on the ground on the big island, do depending on if he has cell coverage I can try to call him to get first hand news.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 28, 15 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I have so far from Tony's son (by the way, last year Tony won the 50-54 age group at IM Tremblant with a 3:08 run split at age 54):

ULTRAMAN [DAY 1 - UPDATE]: Tony O'Keeffe out of the water in 4th place; on to the 145 km bike ride. Overtook Martin Raymond, now currently riding in 3rd place. About 1 minute back from 2nd place rider. Will post updates as they come in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's in the lead?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw on one of the FB feeds that our man Mike Coughlin (posts on ST as mcoughlin) finished day 1 in first place. No details on splits etc yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like the #ultramanlive feed is the most up to date info?

Staci Studer from our Big Island seems to be leading the women! Go Staci!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [808nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some folks who are in Hawaii have posted some pictures on the UMH facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ultraman/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's going on in THIS year's race? :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leader's swims and bike times - https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the image for the top 10. Mike Coughlin really killed the day 1 bike:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 That's so awesome. Mike did UMC the same year I did.

Super nice guy, tremendous athlete and super supportive of everyone.

Longtime forumista and "Mayor of Dumbassville" Khai is crewing for him after crewing for me in 2011. Mike is in good, albeit likely drunk hands :)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People who destroy day 1 are either on track to win the whole thing or are going to implode on day 2. Today is going to be awesome to watch!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
People who destroy day 1 are either on track to win the whole thing or are going to implode on day 2. Today is going to be awesome to watch!

See CaptainCanada's comments about Mike being in good, albeit drunk hands with Khai.

That bike split seems right for Mike relative to someone like Tony. Tony's strength is day 3. Mike is proven too though. He's been second in Kona if I recall correctly and won at Ultraman Canada. Mike will be well fueled up overnight and will be fueling on day 2, to make day 3 solid. I forgot we have Kevin Willis at Hawaii too, also from our hometown of Ottawa and Katherine Becker from nearby Montreal is in 2nd in the womens, but I think Staci who is in the lead is much more accomplished runner, so it is her race to lose. Staci has also done crew for 12x UMH finisher Martin Raymond, so she's followed this from pit lane and probably knows what is ahead. She's not going into this blind:

Results from day 1:

http://ultramanlive.com/.../2015-day-1-results/

There is a big clump of guys between 8:40 and 8:48. I think Kevin Willis will move into the top 5 after today's long ride day. Mike Coughlin's lead will get bigger. He's going to follow his powermeter and knows what power he can hold over an 8 hour day in the saddle and recover for the next day. Tony is going to do his pace and get ready for a fast run tomorrow. He ran 3:08 at IM Tremblant last year and had the fastest run in our age group in the Tremblant 70.3 this year so his running as usual has been on form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is from a reporter from Tremblant express

reporter: How was the swim Tony?
Tony: It was good!
reporter: Did you get bite by a jelly fish?
Tony: Yeah! In the face. It was good. It woke me up.

too funny
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

too funny

There is a reason why LCol O'Keeffe was inducted into the Canadian Armed Forces Sports Hall of Fame !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
marcag wrote:

too funny

There is a reason why LCol O'Keeffe was inducted into the Canadian Armed Forces Sports Hall of Fame !!!

The O'Keefe clan has a lot going on this weekend. Tony will be doing his double marathon while his nephew (sister's son) is playing in the Grey cup for the Ottawa RedBlacks
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
marcag wrote:

too funny

The O'Keefe clan has a lot going on this weekend. Tony will be doing his double marathon while his nephew (sister's son) is playing in the Grey cup for the Ottawa RedBlacks
Yeah, I saw that....they are also both wearing "Red-Black" in their events this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Mike Coughlin from Sudbury Ontario probably going for the race win (or blow up trying)

Looks like Mike is opting for the latter! Should make things exciting today. If Billy Edwards can keep the current gap he should have the upper hand on the run... I'm pretty sure Mike would've had to dig pretty deep to create that big time gap on day 1. I think Adam Fox is a great runner, but the deficit on the bike is most likely too large now (he's almost 2 hours off the lead)

Trying to paste standings below... hopefully renders ok on ST
[edit: it didn't work, image below instead]

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Nov 28, 15 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oldest person in the race - kick ass woman Kim Rouse! 60 years young.

Billy did an interview last night.

https://twitter.com/...s/670457816818311168

I'm picking him for the winner.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wet and cold (well, cold for hawaii about 70F) at the start of day 2. I guess that is normal / expected for Volcanoes.

Currently David Kalinowsi (winner UM OZ) in 1st, Mike Coughlin 2nd, Billy Edwards (winner UM FL) 3rd. Looks like David is making his move, and he is a good runner too.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike is a decently solid ironman runner wih a 3:30 IN Kona. He will be slave to his powermeter and fueling plan today. I think he took it easy on the swim yesterday as he is a 27 min half ironman swimmer. It should be fun watching today shake out. Hey Rob, who is your crew for next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Mike and David are riding neck and neck in the lead from what I saw in the UM Facebook page. Last checkpoint was 2:16 into the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Mike is a decently solid ironman runner wih a 3:30 IN Kona. He will be slave to his powermeter and fueling plan today. I think he took it easy on the swim yesterday as he is a 27 min half ironman swimmer. It should be fun watching today shake out. Hey Rob, who is your crew for next year?

My crew will be different for UM Florida and UM Hawaii. For Florida I have 2 x Califonians and 2 x Iowans. For Hawaii, possibly a select few members of the Dimond gang and 1 x local waterman for the swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christian Isakson is reportedly out due to bike crash. Winds are reported to be 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't this 2015?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Ultraman Hawaii Thread [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Isn't this 2015?

I am so trapped in corporate FY2016 doublespeak that I totally lost track of what year we are in! Well, that and I have been under a lot of stress lately so my attention to small things is really bad at the moment! Or maybe I am starting next year's thread early for Rob Gray to get warmed up. OK fixed.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 28, 15 16:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next