Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 Lake Stevens 70.3
Quote | Reply
Is this happening? Inquiring minds.

Quote | Reply
Bueller?

Quote | Reply
hmm - I hope so! Was going to be train towards that one this year (after I broke my arm 1 week before my A-Race this year)

Some Copy and Paste from the races Facebook page (I deleted all the names/dates/etc)

- Is Lake Stevens going to host a 70.3 again in 2016? I have heard grumblings that 2015 was the last year. Can you give us any insights?
- Heard the same thing. Saw an Ironman.com screenshot (since gone) that said it was canceled for 2016.
- Any more word on this? I was just adding it to my calendar for next year. Dates on the website are still TBD.
- I'd like to know also. When you go to the list of all 70.3 races, it's not listed at all.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [Gervs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3tBgQ80rb

Now they switched the description to "Discontinued"

For a while it was TBD, then it was Opening Soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Stevens has been discontinued.
After careful consideration, IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Stevens will not be extended. We appreciate the efforts and support of the city, volunteers, sponsors, and everyone else involved in putting on this triathlon. We would also like to thank all of the athletes who have raced with us here.
We appreciate your dedication and understand your disappointment with not being able to race. Please consider one of the following IRONMAN 70.3 events:

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz3tHPoJLN1
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's surprising. That small town has got to be inexpensive to run a race in, and the transition was full past 3 years 2000 athletes or more.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - sucky news
Now I just need to convince my wife to do a roadtrip with the Kids to California (maybe Vineman or Santa Cruz....)
I dont really have any interest in the Victoria race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot, this was going to be my A race again this year. Guess I'll look into some of the smaller 70.3 races around the NW. I did Black Diamond this year and it was a pretty nice course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
Yeah - sucky news
Now I just need to convince my wife to do a roadtrip with the Kids to California (maybe Vineman or Santa Cruz....)
I dont really have any interest in the Victoria race
We did a road trip to Vineman. Down I-5, spent a night in Eugene (ran on Pre's trail which was cool). Back up 101 and spent a night on the OR coast. It can be done in one day each way, if you are by yourself. But not if you got a family. Make it two days and stop often.

Why not Victoria? It is a better race than Lake Stevens. Better organized, better grassroots feel. I did it back when it was Subaru Western Canada I believe same people still run the show. The swim is cleaner water. Bike is more scenic. Run is way more scenic (trail run around the lake).

There's also a new half in CdA as of next year, new half in Tempe as of this year, and IM bought several races in Cali so there are more halfs down there too. Oh and Calgary. About the same roadtrip distance as Vineman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why I have no interest in the Victoria race......
My original plan was to do the Penticton Half, but that got switched to ITU long Distance.

I kinda wanted a race my wife and 2 young kids could be occupied at (ie.in a bit of a town) - correct me if i'm wrong, but Elk Lake doesnt really have much around it right?? I mean I know Sannich isnt exactly rural, but they probably arent walking to and from a close-by accommodation.

Couer-de-elaine is a possibility, but I could probably sell California to her better than Idaho (no offense Idaho)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just now send this post, great it was on the list. I wonder if some other race company will take it over. I think I this is worth the time and effort to stick my nose around and ask some people some question. Maybe someone else will take over the management of the race

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both victoria and lake stevens, both very good, i enjoyed victoria more though.

Bummed out about lake stevens, it was 2 years ago and I'm much fitter now, wanted to give it another go in 2016!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
That's surprising. That small town has got to be inexpensive to run a race in, and the transition was full past 3 years 2000 athletes or more.

I heard it was because Lake Stevens was not offering enough money to WTC. Which makes sense, it is not like Lake Stevens made any money from the race, no hotels or anything in lake stevens to spend money on. Plus the locals hated the race and cyclists in general.

Now Lake Stevens can return to its true passion, making/selling/using meth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of Victoria you might consider Chelanman. Not a WTC race, & no WTC points, but good race venue, and well run race. 1/2 is one of the toughest I've done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're correct in that Elk Lake really have anything within walking distance for your wife and kids. However, downtown Victoria is a 15-minute drive and is one of the most beautiful places in the country (not to mention heaping with touristy activities and shopping). The nearest hotel would probably take a half hour to walk to the transition, but two minutes to drive. Highly recommended race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Howard Johnson by the indoor pool - it was already full
Also I dont think they let you park at the transition/finish (if I understand the 2015 Athlete Guide correctly). I'm probably not going to make my wife take a 3 year old and a 1 year old on a the shuttle from whatever parking lot they make you go to.

The chelanman looks interesting though - i've been to Chelan before - the state park there is nice.

At the end of the day i'll probably just do Vancouver again (the Olympic) and not bother with a half this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you like the Vancouver race? In Stanley park right? I've never done that one. Looks interesting. Swim is in the Coal Harbor? Oh never mind. September 5th. I have a race on the 18th. :/ Bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay less options on the west coast, just what we needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They got rid of the pro field last year and top AG performances along with lots of local interest in the event declined.... We were all anticipating it would be gone this year(2016).

I live in lake stevens and have helped work or race the event last 4 years. It's very unfortunate.

Mason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Did you like the Vancouver race? In Stanley park right? I've never done that one. Looks interesting. Swim is in the Coal Harbor? Oh never mind. September 5th. I have a race on the 18th. :/ Bummer.

I'm talking about the one at Locarno that Ironman owns now. They have a Sprint and Olympic. Ive done that twice and its pretty good - was just hoping to do a local half this year. The drive from Langley to Everett for Lake Stevens would have been pretty painless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toughman Race Series has a race not far from Seattle, WA about 2 hours away. The race has about 300 racers it is nice lake swim and flat bike course. Nice place to visit or take a nice vacation.
The 9 July 2016

http://www.toughmantri.com/...an-washington-state/

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelan is a great local race. It has a gorgeous swim (supposedly 3rd clearest lake in U.S. after Crater lake and Tahoe), challenging bike, run course is a little boring (out and back on 1 road). It seems to have good community support. There are lots of reasonably priced vacation homes for rent with great views. It's probably not the easiest race to get to, 3+hr drive from Seattle. I'd highly recommend it though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [wprobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did both Toughman WA Ocean Shores and Lake Stevens this last year. Lake Stevens was so much better. Toughman course was pancake flat and soooooo boring. Bike was two out and backs on a flat road that was anything but scenic. The half only drew about 90 and the whole thing was very poorly organized. Hopefully they turn it around but I won't be back. Too bad about Lake Stevens. Guess I'm heading to Chelan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that Dynamic Race Events will run 2 half-distance events next year.
May , in Nanaimo, and at Cultus in Sept.

y_nigel wrote:

Quote:

I'm talking about the one at Locarno that Ironman owns now. They have a Sprint and Olympic. Ive done that twice and its pretty good - was just hoping to do a local half this year. The drive from Langley to Everett for Lake Stevens would have been pretty painless.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Stevens 70.3 [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Chelan is starting to look promising - thanks for the recommendation guys
Ive done the north cascades before and really liked it, time to start planning!
Quote Reply