Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts
Quote | Reply
I am considering purchasing a new bike and have been throwing around the Slice as an option. I haven't ridden one, but want something I can be comfortable on for longer races. I have read the Slice has the great adjustability, but isn't the most aerodynamic. I would really like to hear someone's first hand thoughts about the bike. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [alix451] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding a 2016 Slice. It's got 105 components, but it's the ultegra frame color. I have this bike because it's the appropriate frame for my fit. I have very long legs and a short torso, and the slice fits me very well.

I have loved the bike, but that probably has to do more with the fact that I spent the money to get a really good fit. Its been a great bike for me personally and it didn't break the bank paying for it. Besides, it's kinda fun having the only Slice in the midst of all the Shivs on the rack ;)

105 components have been fine, I've put a lot of miles on them already but I also take care of them (my other bikes have ultegra, so I thought I would be disappointed but it's been fine).

I know everyone says it, but get the bike that fits you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy. Got mine in Dec. Previously rode a Cervelo P2C (2008 or 2009). The Slice has been a much better fit for me. When the Cervelo was 1st fitted to me (bought the bike used) I was told I have long femurs for my height. Combined with petite pants fitting my rise but being too short in the leg, I take it I'm like the prev. poster, long legged but short torso. When the Slice was fitted my coach said, that's the most comfortable he's ever seen me look on a bike.

Another thing I like about the Slice is the comfort riding it. My carbon Cervelo was very stiff and felt unforgiving over bumps, reminding me of my early 90's wicked stiff aluminum Cannondale road bike. By comparison, the Slice just glides comfortably over rough patches. Trust me, I want speed, but if it isn't comfortable to ride for 112 miles it doesn't matter to me how aero the frame is.

Another selling point for me was the ease of disassembly / adjustment so I could travel / fly with it. My understanding is that some of the more aero super bikes can be quite difficult to work on, eg adjust brakes. I got my bike into / out of a Ruster Hen House with no issues.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hardly an authority on bikes, but after quite a bit of research this spring, I decided to go with the Slice in May. It's my first tri bike, after riding a touring Bianchi for years. I understand that the stock aerobars aren't regarded too highly, but I think I've been able to get a pretty good position with a bit of adjustment, and I saved at least $1k over the other bikes I was considering (Scott Plasma or Cervelo P2). I got the model with the 105 groupset; I don't really know what the Ultegra feels like. I immediately saw a jump of about 1.5-2mph in my average speed, which has been awesome! Plus, I actually like the way it looks.

Unfortunately, I managed to wreck on a training ride last month, and I broke my elbow pretty soundly. The bike is fine though; just a little scuffed up. I'm counting down the days until I can get back in the saddle--I'm hoping it won't be more than another week or two...

"Test everything, cling to what is good." - St. Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alix451 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a new bike and have been throwing around the Slice as an option. I haven't ridden one, but want something I can be comfortable on for longer races. I have read the Slice has the great adjustability, but isn't the most aerodynamic. I would really like to hear someone's first hand thoughts about the bike. Thank you.
There are several superior options at the same price point. They didnt cut the price on them because they had a winner on their hands. Read into that what you will.

Question for you (or anyone else of a similar opinion): Why is "great adjustability" a value-add for you?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In your opinion what are some of the better options at the same price point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Slice is a well designed, well thought out Time Trial bike. It's starting to age, but still pretty good overall. It also comes in a decent variety of sizes, unlike some other brands. The slender seatpost helps take some sting out of bad roads compared to many other TT bikes, so it's relatively comfortable.

As for aerodynamics, it's UCI legal, so there are other Tri specific bikes that will be a little more slippery if your position is good, but this isn't the only factor to take into account.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [jdarrow86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdarrow86 wrote:
In your opinion what are some of the better options at the same price point?

from his website he stocks scott, orbea, felt boardman and guru, so probably any offering from any of those...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 54cm frameset for sale check out the classified hi mod blAck INC one

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the 2016 Slice with 105 components for about 6 months. Every fit is going to be personal, this is one of the few bikes that fit me (5'2" female), and the price point was right. I've gained about 2mph from my road bike, finished my first Ironman on it in July and my legs felt surprisingly good on the run. I have never ridden a superbike (or any other tri bike for that matter), so I may be happy from an ignorance standpoint, but I am super happy with my purchase. I did switch out to Profile Design clip-on aerobars.
FYI, this is one of the bike reviews that sold me on it (for Di2, but I believe the frame is still the same as the 105): http://aerogeeks.com/...-uitegra-di2-review/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
The Slice is a well designed, well thought out Time Trial bike. It's starting to age, but still pretty good overall. It also comes in a decent variety of sizes, unlike some other brands. The slender seatpost helps take some sting out of bad roads compared to many other TT bikes, so it's relatively comfortable.

As for aerodynamics, it's UCI legal, so there are other Tri specific bikes that will be a little more slippery if your position is good, but this isn't the only factor to take into account.

Current slice is neither UCI legal nor fast.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak the speed of it, but I think the seat stays are what make it non-UCI legal. However, will that change with the 3:1 rule going out the window?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Can't speak the speed of it, but I think the seat stays are what make it non-UCI legal. However, will that change with the 3:1 rule going out the window?

Nope, the slice is not legal because the seat stays are thinner than the UCI minimum (by 2mm I believe), not because it violates the 3:1 ratio. It is a very confusing bike, why if they were going UCI illegal did they not make the down tube and the rest of the frame faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they make a different UCI legal bike for their pro team?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:

Yes, the Slice RS which debuted a year before the current slice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
ironcode wrote:

Yes, the Slice RS which debuted a year before the current slice.

wrong sir, the slice rs was introduced in 2011 (first ridden by Weiss in Kona); the "new" slice in 2014 (first ridden by Vesterby in Roth)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The options that you consider superior to the Slice, what is it in your mind that makes them superior? Not interested in the bike per se, just why you consider them superior.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
The options that you consider superior to the Slice, what is it in your mind that makes them superior? Not interested in the bike per se, just why you consider them superior.
Aerodynamics, mostly.

The Slice sppears to be short for this world, even though it just came out. Cannondale didn't slash the prices because they are altruistic.

Cannondale built a bike with characteristics that were borrowed from the road side but, in my opinion, missed the mark because those weren't features triathletes were clamoring for.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
alix451 wrote:
There are several superior options at the same price point. They didnt cut the price on them because they had a winner on their hands. Read into that what you will.

Question for you (or anyone else of a similar opinion): Why is "great adjustability" a value-add for you?

I am sure that the shop you work for has nothing to do with your opinion of Cannondale :)

It is an exceptional TT bike in my opinion. You can get a really good position for a wide variety or riders, including pure roadies like myself. It is very easy to work on with no proprietary parts and it handles very well. State TT record was set this year on that bike, clearly its all about the engine, but that bike is just fine. In fact the price point with ultegra di2 around 2800-3000 is incredible.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Sep 22, 16 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my Cannondale Slice Ultegra Build. I have a set of Flo 60/90s on it and it performs great. It fit me well. I am a long leg, short torso. It is comfortable and my lower back doesn't bother me on long rides. Is it the most aero. No. Does it hold me back. Not enough to matter for me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [Skolbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from the fit, which works for me (also short torso'd), I like having a unique-ish bike. My P2 was anything but.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

The Slice RS is both - for a UCI legal frame. As I only do 2-3 tris a year but several stage races, this is something I need to keep in mind. I also have little problem keeping up with people with "faster" equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I am sure that the shop you work for has nothing to do with your opinion of Cannondale :)

It is an exceptional TT bike in my opinion. You can get a really good position for a wide variety or riders, including pure roadies like myself. It is very easy to work on with no proprietary parts and it handles very well. State TT record was set this year on that bike, clearly its all about the engine, but that bike is just fine. In fact the price point with ultegra di2 around 2800-3000 is incredible.
Respectfully, you have it backwards: my shop doesn't carry Cannondale partially because of my opinions of the Slice. I don't dislike Cannondale and believe there are quality bikes in their lineup. I am simply unconvinced the Slice is among them.

And it is not "all about the engine". Certainly, an exceptional engine can overcome equipment handicaps. But few are blessed with truly exceptional engines, and those who are will still be at a disadvantage competing against similarly gifted athletes on superior equipment.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Cannondale Slice Thoughts [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
chaparral wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

The Slice RS is both - for a UCI legal frame. As I only do 2-3 tris a year but several stage races, this is something I need to keep in mind. I also have little problem keeping up with people with "faster" equipment.

Well the RS is fast, but the question was about the Slice, not the RS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next