Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double.
Quote | Reply
Did a quick search on "Froome" and "Vuelta" and didn't see anything, and not sure how this hasn't made it to the forum if my search ability doesn't suck.

Froome is in for the Vuelta.

Froome’s imminent arrival is welcomed by the Vuelta organizers, but that enthusiasm is not shared among his GC rivals.
With Contador skipping his Vuelta defense after racing three consecutive grand tours dating back to the 2014 Vuelta, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) was hoping for a clear shot at the red leader’s jersey. Quintana is also coming to the Vuelta, but the general plan was to ride for Valverde in the GC, with Quintana playing a low-pressure role as the joker. Froome’s presence could foil those plans, and perhaps put more pressure on Quintana to try to take on Froome yet again.
Others, such as Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha), Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing), and even riders like Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r La Mondiale) and Frank Schleck (Trek Factory Racing), will see their podium ambitions complicated by Froome.

Last year's Vuelta was fucking amazing even with Quintana crashing out early. Are we in for another epic GT? Does anyone care since it's not the TdF?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Vuelta should be quite exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, should be fun, but I reckon Froome will be like Contador or Niabli at the tour - not fully firing on all cylinders.

Should be Valverde's to lose.

And WTF is Schleck doing in the list of possible podium contenders? I thought he'd shot his bolt a few years ago. Maybe he's been seeing Horner's nutritional advisor.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Yeah, should be fun, but I reckon Froome will be like Contador or Niabli at the tour - not fully firing on all cylinders.

Should be Valverde's to lose.

And WTF is Schleck doing in the list of possible podium contenders? I thought he'd shot his bolt a few years ago. Maybe he's been seeing Horner's nutritional advisor.

While I agree that it's tougher for Froome to extend his season into September (since he was tuning up earlier than Valverde in races like the Dauphine), I think it brings Froome to more of a level playing field with Valverde. There is one flat 39k TT were Froome should be able to put a chunk of time on Valverde, so he doesn't have to beat him in the mountains.

Tejay becomes an X factor, and of course there is always potential for more drama between Quintana and Valverde as there was last year. Throw in J-Rod and Nibali into the mix and any given stage could be awesome. Sky also looks to be bringing in a pretty strong team as Thomas is on the squad again too.

Last year the top 5 was within 5 minutes of each other, and the podium was within 2 minutes. Hoping for something similar this year as there are a ton of mountain stages, and even the stages not classified as a mountain stage have some uphill finishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is not the double. That is the afterthought. If Froome wanted to attempt the double then he would have lined up with Contador at the Giro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Did a quick search on "Froome" and "Vuelta" and didn't see anything, and not sure how this hasn't made it to the forum if my search ability doesn't suck.

Froome’s imminent arrival is welcomed by the Vuelta organizers, but that enthusiasm is not shared among his GC rivals.

With Contador skipping his Vuelta defense after racing three consecutive grand tours dating back to the 2014 Vuelta, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) was hoping for a clear shot at the red leader’s jersey. Quintana is also coming to the Vuelta, but the general plan was to ride for Valverde in the GC, with Quintana playing a low-pressure role as the joker. Froome’s presence could foil those plans, and perhaps put more pressure on Quintana to try to take on Froome yet again.
Others, such as Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha), Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing), and even riders like Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r La Mondiale) and Frank Schleck (Trek Factory Racing), will see their podium ambitions complicated by Froome.

Last year's Vuelta was fucking amazing even with Quintana crashing out early. Are we in for another epic GT? Does anyone care since it's not the TdF?

I thoroughly enjoyed last years Vuelta, both Contador and Froome had withdrawn from Le Tour and were not sure if they'd be fit for a Grand Tour, it was close.
This year I'm predicting Froome will do the double, he has a strong team supporting him and was untouchable in the TdF

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vuelta is consistently underrated - I think it brings some of the most exciting racing of the year, much more so than the Tour due to the number of uncertainties and variability in preparation. This year looks to be a good one. Astana is bringing a major hit squad.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
Jason N wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed last years Vuelta, both Contador and Froome had withdrawn from Le Tour and were not sure if they'd be fit for a Grand Tour, it was close.
This year I'm predicting Froome will do the double, he has a strong team supporting him and was untouchable in the TdF

He was looking fairly touchable in the last week wouldn't you say? One more MTF and Quintana would have punked his alien ass. Plus he's been doing post tour crits for the last 2 weeks if the media is any indication. Valverde to win, Rodriguez another painful second, Froome a distant third.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Tejay has a legit shot here. Froome will have to crack one day, but Tejay could be the freshest of contenders after missing the bruising final TdF stages.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought maybe Tejay would be more likely to take a more relaxed stage-hunting approach after his high strung tour experience...

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, the vuelta is underrated because historically it was a boring, underfunded, afterthought of a tour, and nowadays is too close to the worlds. It'll never have the prestige of the tour or the giro.

My favourite stage was the Tony Martin breakway in 2013 edition. That was strangely hypnotic and incredible drama at the end.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting if Froomey wins the Vuelta. Then I guess he'll have to give it a shot at next years Giro to hold all the GT at once.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [Knudsen88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be interesting. Especially since he's never done the giro (has he?).

If you thought Roche and Hinault got a rough ride from the tifosi, imagine what Froome would have to cope with...

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The number of Americans is triple the number from the Tour De France.

Best Grand tour and plenty to cheer for!!

Andrew Talansky
Tejay van Garderen
Joe Dombrowski
Lawson Craddock
Joseph Rosskopf
Larry Warbasse
Alex Howes
Ben King
Ian Boswell-? Froome may ruin his chances being picked
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I wonder if Tejay has a legit shot here. Froome will have to crack one day, but Tejay could be the freshest of contenders after missing the bruising final TdF stages.

My cynical self says that with Astana full bore, and the Vuelta being a lot like the Giro from a controls perspective, there will be a clear split between clean and not clean. And I think Tejay and Joe will be among the best of "the rest".

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this setting up well for the American GC types.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where to watch TV / streaming?

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Universal Sports will be covering it again this year as far as network television.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
Does anyone know where to watch TV / streaming?

In Canada, Sportsnet.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh legs will win it. CF and TJVG will be battle to see who will stay in race longest before dropping out.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Fresh legs will win it. CF and TJVG will be battle to see who will stay in race longest before dropping out.

Astana will come out in force, I think Aru would be a smart each-way bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:

I kind of want to see Schleck kill it and watch the boards go nuts over it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for the glorious betterment of the principality of Luxembourg? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Sooo Froome, Nibali, Rodriguez, Valverde, Quintana all won't win it then? If we're talking about lack of fresh legs? Who does this leave? Aru?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
H- wrote:

Sooo Froome, Nibali, Rodriguez, Valverde, Quintana all won't win it then? If we're talking about lack of fresh legs? Who does this leave? Aru?

Sagan
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Vuelta...Froome goes for the double. [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
H- wrote:

Sagan

hahaha, if cycling stage races were scored like sailing regattas maybe he'd have a chance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next