Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if if the Leadman Tri is a "for sure" thing for 2015? It has been saying date To Be Determined for a while now.

Thanks,
Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [lynxcanadensis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, and it breaks my heart.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you know this?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [lynxcanadensis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know for sure, but based on level of participation this past year I can't see it happening again.

Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atgnat wrote:
No, and it breaks my heart.

+1. had that on my list for this year!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be on your list. It was an amazing race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So disappointing. That race had so many special amazing aspects to it. I finally moved down here from Seattle to make this my "home" race. :(
Last edited by: lifejustice: Jan 17, 15 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really disappointed to hear that. I was looking forward to doing the race again and going back to Bend, which is a pretty cool city.

I might be wrong, but I think there are very few non WTC races in the Pacific Northwest. It would be nice to find something similar to Leadman. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement in the PNW?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it twice, including its first year and last year, one of the best bike courses and that lake is amazing. Each year the support/swag/experience got a little bit worse... less $$ being put into it... lots of talk about WTC taking it over but haven't seen confirmation yet. If it ran again this next year, I'd consider doing it again and I don't really do tris anymore.... you could try emailing the RD/contact from the website. Doubt you'll get any more info but you might.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really was one of my favorites I have ever competed in. Sad to see it go.

Quote | Reply
It appears that Lifetime fitness racing, which put on both the OR and AZ Leadman has killed off both of those races as well as the Soma half in Tempe.

My speculation is it has something to do with their tie in with WTC. WTC remains the LC racing arm, LTF is the SC racing arm.

After seeing how bad WTC fucked up the 5150 series and neutered many of the great classic races that made up that series, at least for SC racing this could be a good thing.

Sad to see both Leadman's and Soma gone though, even less choice for LC racers.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a serious bummer. I was just telling a friend this morning how I had hoped to go back and try for that belt buckle again in 2016... I will never forget that Lake Cultus swim. By far, my favorite race I've done, even though I really sucked that day. Fell in love with Bend.

There is Toughman Washington State on July 11, although, obviously, that's quite a way away and a different time of year, different climate, etc.
https://endurancecui.active.com/...elect-race?e=9671351

We need Toughman Oregon...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Announced today, LifeTime is taking over Boulder Peak and Sprint and Ironman is taking over Soma and Leadman Bend.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
This is a serious bummer. I was just telling a friend this morning how I had hoped to go back and try for that belt buckle again in 2016... I will never forget that Lake Cultus swim. By far, my favorite race I've done, even though I really sucked that day. Fell in love with Bend.

There is Toughman Washington State on July 11, although, obviously, that's quite a way away and a different time of year, different climate, etc.
https://endurancecui.active.com/...elect-race?e=9671351

We need Toughman Oregon...

I was at last year's race, not to race, but there, driving the Cascade Lakes Highway on a family trip. Barely any bikes on course, and the support/aid test were sparse at best. Toughman WA looks to be a great race that I'm doing this year. Not a difficult drive from either PDX or Seattle. Toughman Oregon would be pretty cool, and I suggest this race as your Leadman Bend replacement. http://www.bestinthewesttriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lynxcanadensis wrote:
I am really disappointed to hear that. I was looking forward to doing the race again and going back to Bend, which is a pretty cool city.

I might be wrong, but I think there are very few non WTC races in the Pacific Northwest. It would be nice to find something similar to Leadman. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement in the PNW?

Toughman WA State is a great alternative as stated above. There's Challenge Penticton. Best of the West Triathlon, as I posted above, might be your closest like for like to the Bend race. Close to PDX, depending on your location.
Last edited by: WaitWhat: Jan 26, 15 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the announcement?

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toughman and Best of the West look like good fun races. Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for something closer to a full iron distance but maybe a half will do. Just need to balance my racing schedule and how either of these races might fit.

I know it's not a tri but Bend has a 50k trail run in mid September. They also have a 100 mile mtn bike in July. Both of these look like fun, too!

Decisions, decisions...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget about the Pacific Crest Tri. They offer a great 1/2 IM distance right outside of Bend in Sunriver, Or. Very fun well run race.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. It looks like a good course and partially overlaps with the Ledaman course. Unfortunately is conflicts with my current plans but still one to remember.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [mdub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must have been announced at the TBI conference, as it was tweeted by a couple of folks at the conference.

This should be good for all races involved, with WTC taking over the longer distances and Lifetime taking over the shorter.

Even if you don't like WTC or how they do things/ make money, they are good at building races and putting on a good experience. I think that Leadman race in Bend could become very popular with the correct marketing and emphasis.

On the other side of this, Lifetime has the short course racing nailed for the most part, which should help the shorter races.

This Lifetime/ WTC partnership could do some good things for a sport that has been relatively flat for the last couple of years.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do Pacific Crest each year, and it is great. The ride has some loooooong road vista's that can be intimidating, but the scenery is amazing. I was kinda bummed they made the swim a double lap for the half. Sunriver is great. We are back this year, but I have to arrive late and only do the Oly.

I did Leadman two years ago. As a swimmer, i loved the swim. I only wish that it was actually 5k,and not a little 'short'. The bike was freezing that day, and that is my issue with the venue. Bend is hard. Even in the middle of August I have froze my butt off during an early morning ride - only to be baked for afternoon activities. The temperature range is so severe. When Leadman happened in Oct, it was very chilly in the morning, and we had probably a not unusual chilly rest of the day. It rained/sleeted for about 90 miles of the 138 mile ride... Much hypothermia going on. You can't ride 138 miles while freezing... I am not surprise attendance dropped. While i like riding around Mt Bachelor, and love the descents into both Sunriver and Bend, I just can't figure in my mind what time of year would be good for Leadman. I would LOVE to do a 'Leadman' distance event somewhere else.

Quote | Reply
I DID forget about PCT weekend! Remembered while I was out of the office and came back to correct my mistake. Alas, you beat me to it. If I have it correct (and, no, I didn't look it up), the swim is in another lake, the bike is almost identical to the Leadman course (follows the Cascade Lake Highway), and the run is in Sunriver.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wickiup lake (PCT) is OK.

Cultus Lake (Leadman) is AMAZING.

People raved about the venue... It was only after I swam it that I understood. (It is crystal clear.)

PCT Loops the Mtn Once. Leadman twice. The second loop took the PPP route down to Bend. As someone stated. I have NEVER been so lonely on a road than to ride 138 miles around Mt Bachelor. :-)

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Jan 26, 15 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Leadman Tri in Bend...is it happening? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they don't change the Soma bike course from the 4 loop crit course, there will be a need for many more ambulances. Every race for the last 3-4 years 1-2 people have been packaged up from crashing on that course.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next