Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Unicron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unicron wrote:
Hello; i just picked up a 2014 P3 a couple weeks ago.
So far I am loving the bike...but i would be super jealous if the 2015 P3's came in solid black.

White is not my first choice of bike color...but the bike looks great in my opinion. Only thing is that the matte white is not the easiest to clean...heh

never ever put the drive side up against the lounge....
you will never be forgiven if you get a greasy chainring imprint on the fabric.... just not worth the grief.

+ 1 re P3.
have had mine now for 8 weeks and still get excited when riding it. Di2 incl brakes/shifters, Shimano Crank/Stages PM. Reynold Assault wheelset....
can't wait fr the Queen K.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see the sense in what Cervelo has done, but to me, when it was privately owned, there was a love, a connection, a drive to be the best. Now, every so slowly, they seem to be (like the company I work for) a business, that happens to do X.

I suspect Damon will argue the point and he's probably half right, but to me, for any product like bikes, there is a range of markets.

In a tri bike for example, I see at least 3 bikes that can be built (per geometry). Entry level, mid market and super bike. While the P2/2K/1 had room for improvement, I think it grew well from leading edge when it was introduced, to the entry bike at the end. The original P3 by comparison was a great superbike at the time. I mean, everyone at the pointy end of races I did or watched, had a P3! Different groupsets covered the spectrum well and the geometry spectrum as well.

Now, with the P2 being a P3 with fork change, I don't really see the spread. I haven't checked the geometry difference, but the P5, as desirable as it is, doesn't really flesh out the price or geometry continuum well enough.

Cervelo has two ranges of road bikes, certainly they need 2 types of tri bikes, like they used to?

I'm no businessman but for tri I'd see two frames, covering long or tall geometry and in each range, out of the same mould, a budget carbon version, cheap fork and say 105 on it. Then the same budget carbon but killer aero fork, and maybe mechanical DA or electronic Ultegra, then for the superbike version, unobtanium carbon, killer fork, electronic DA and sweet as bars etc.

Any bike has to have a groupset so that's easy to tweak. Any mould can have different carbon an layup, so mix and match to suit at least 3 price points per mould. Easy as.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found the finish line bike wash to be the best for cleaning the bike thus far. Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/...=finish+line+cleaner

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very beautiful bicycle, i will share it on my facebook
https://www.facebook.com/...le?ref_type=bookmark
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Deej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but anything else (other than wild speculation and wishful thinking)?

I was told by a retailer, that there is a new partnership between Hed and Cervelo. Dealers are rejoicing since they were often left with low-end, take-off wheelsets they couldn't sell.

But, I can only imagine this will creep the price up.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Considering the P2 and P3 were just updated...there is no way this happens for at least a couple of years

I was not talking about timing, I was just saying that the P5 will not be replaced by a P6, but maybe a new P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The S5 is now long in the tooth and it's clear that the Garmin Sharp riders almost always pick the S3 over the S5. Therefore I think the most likely new model is one that brings the innovations of the S3 (larger headtube bearings, wider and stiffer downtube, reshaped seatstays) to the S5 level bike, whether as model modification or replacement. This or a lighter version of the S3. One of these is at least what I'm holding out for.... In contrast the R5 was already new this model year so no changes should be expected there.
Last edited by: duncan: Jul 25, 14 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you seeing sale prices due to expected change or time of year?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago wrote:
never ever put the drive side up against the lounge....
you will never be forgiven if you get a greasy chainring imprint on the fabric.... just not worth the grief.

thanks for the advice!
you must be married as well and understand the consequences....as my wife can go from zero to critical meltdown fairly quickly...heh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for everyone complaining how ugly the color schemes are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Considering the P2 and P3 were just updated...there is no way this happens for at least a couple of years

You really think they're just going to stand pat for "at least a couple of years"?

No one can afford to do that.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never understood why Cervelo never followed through with a CX frame. There was a one-off prototype many years ago...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Cervelo is going to have to start bringing their superbike to the masses. First Trek started with the SC 7.5. It's the same bike as the 9-series with a lesser grade carbon which makes it a little heavier. It's also about half the cost of a 9.9. It looks like Felt is doing it with their new bikes announced this week.

I think the next frontier is integration simplicity. Again, Trek simplified the integrated front end with the new SC, making it easier to make small adjustments. People love superbikes but hate working on them, so I'd suspect (and hope) that trend continues.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed 100% with you

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think cervelo agrees with you. The p5-3 and p3/2 essentially do what you're talking about. Simple forks, brakes, and almost as fast as the p5-6
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but the p5-3 and p3/2 don't have integrated front ends. The Speed Concept 7.5 does, and they made changes with the new speed concept to make it easier to work on the bike. (For the record, I'm referring to the SC not to imply that it's a superior bike, but because I own one and it's what I know.)

Also, from a marketing perspective, the lower versions of the Cervelo p-series don't have the "wow factor" that a bike that looked like the p5-6, but with lower quality carbon, mechanical brakes, etc. You could put a SC 9.9 next to a 7.5 and unless you knew the paint schemes apart from each other, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. That's where I think tri bikes are going in the next few years. Only a small handful of people can afford a $10,000 superbike, but a much, much larger number can afford a $3000-$5000 bike (not that that's cheap, but it's certainly cheaper that $10k). There's a risk of brand dilution by mimicking a ultra high-end bike with your middle of the road models, and it's something that the auto industry learned the hard way, but I don't think SC 9.9 owners feel that their product has been "cheapened" by the introduction of a fully integrated 7.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but what kind of bike do you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, that's the great thing though, they made a fast bike without an integrated front end. I think many people in the market don't see a front end as a big selling point.

I think we may just have to agree to disagree. I think cervelo has proven to have one of the fastest bikes on the p5-3 at a competitive price, that's easy to work on. And as best as we can tell, the p3 is barely slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw way more nP3's than total speed concepts of any kind at the tremblant half this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
See, that's the great thing though, they made a fast bike without an integrated front end. I think many people in the market don't see a front end as a big selling point.

I think we may just have to agree to disagree. I think cervelo has proven to have one of the fastest bikes on the p5-3 at a competitive price, that's easy to work on. And as best as we can tell, the p3 is barely slower.

It's a large part of the reason I have an NP3. Slap a Magura or Omega on the nose and you're fine. Way less hassle, and it'll be a long, long time before I feel the bike is limiting me!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
The next step is eliminating the drive train.

But kind of seriously:

I would love to see a disc with an internal Shimano Alfine Di2 hub (so no RD and no cassette) with a belt drivetrain and a single chainring up front (no FD). Would be pretty sweet. Would clean up the drive-side drag profile a bit perhaps.

And add an exponentially higher drivetrain friction which resultant losses would prevent any aero benefit from being utilized unless you were coasting down a steep hill.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anando wrote:
Yeah, but the p5-3 and p3/2 don't have integrated front ends. The Speed Concept 7.5 does, and they made changes with the new speed concept to make it easier to work on the bike. (For the record, I'm referring to the SC not to imply that it's a superior bike, but because I own one and it's what I know.)

Also, from a marketing perspective, the lower versions of the Cervelo p-series don't have the "wow factor" that a bike that looked like the p5-6, but with lower quality carbon, mechanical brakes, etc. You could put a SC 9.9 next to a 7.5 and unless you knew the paint schemes apart from each other, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. That's where I think tri bikes are going in the next few years. Only a small handful of people can afford a $10,000 superbike, but a much, much larger number can afford a $3000-$5000 bike (not that that's cheap, but it's certainly cheaper that $10k). There's a risk of brand dilution by mimicking a ultra high-end bike with your middle of the road models, and it's something that the auto industry learned the hard way, but I don't think SC 9.9 owners feel that their product has been "cheapened" by the introduction of a fully integrated 7.5.

agree with this. Im coming from a P2 and when looking at a new bike, how can you go past the cleaner lines of the SC? Integrated, hidden cables etc, it just *looks* like a superbike. And for slightly cheaper than the p3 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Cervelo line-up [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that's true. Cervelo had over twice as many bikes at Kona than Trek did (Source: Lava Magazine)
For the record, I love Cervelos (both tri and road bikes). I think they're beautiful and I'm sure they have amazing performance. I actually did a double take the other day as I was walking by a multisport store that had a p3 in the window. I just happen to own a Trek. It fit well, I got a good price and I had/have a really great relationship with my Trek dealer which is half a block from my apartment.

Cervelo's been an immensely popular brand amongst triathletes for a long time. In order to stay as arguably the most popular bike brand in the sport, companies need to keep innovating to fend off competition. That's why I think Cervelo should trickle down more of their technology from the p5-6 to their lower models. I'd bet that the p5-3 stays largely unchanged in its next iteration because it's basically the UCI-legal sister of the p5-6; not an inferior version of the p5-6.

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but it appears that this is a trend in the industry. First trek introduced the 2014 SC 7.5 and then more recently Felt announced the new, cheaper IAs. We'll see if Cervelo continues that trend, or starts a new trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some point, I could see Cervelo update the S3's cable routing. Damon said they kept down tube cable routing for the 2014 model because it was less costly. Enough people asked about it, so we might see a change there.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Jul 25, 14 20:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that Cervelo was eliminating the "model year" structure for new product launches?

http://www.bike-eu.com/...r-Strategy-1266895W/
Quote Reply

Prev Next