Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I figure. I'm going to do 10.x home from work tonight then same in tomorrow morning and see if I have the energy to follow up with 4 tomorrow afternoon... won't beat myself up if I don't but might make the recovery 5mi on Sat into 7 or 8 instead... it'll all work out at about the right mileage come Sunday evening...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [AdamOJWall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got in the 15 this morning, but was about an hour late to work. Meant that this eve's recovery double was mostly in the dark. I'm glad those can be whatever (preferably slower) pace.

Backed off a little this week to recover from some tough back-to-back trail runs on Catalina Island and what Pfitz has as a mini-taper for a tune-up race - have Carlsbad this weekend. Still not sure if I'm going to race all out or just do it as a part of an MP LR. Will see how the legs feel on Sunday morning.

Then off to Kona for the week! Hoping to get in the everyday doubles as prescribed as it's just 4 weeks from LA. A bit worried about getting derailed out on the Big Island.

Oh, and **Reminder** from the rules:

For a run to be considered a double, it needs to be separated by an hour. Warm-up, workout, cooldown doesn't count as three runs, even if they're 30+ minutes each!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't missed a day yet. It's all low mileage - 4 mile runs, 6 mile long run, and 1 track workout per week - but I'm just trying to stay consistent and not injure myself.

It's been cold the past week in Chicago, but today it was above freezing. So I decided to go a little longer - 9 miles. Seemed super easy to do. Hey... This constancy thing works pretty well!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the Challenge page, why does it state at the top that I am at 21 and behind by 79, yet the list has me at 26 runs? thanks.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that problem last year when I entered an even 30:00 for the time. If you're enter 30:01 it will count at the top of the challenge page. Your actual count is correct though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Habs4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, that is probably it

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice easy run in the rain today. I am now at 35 runs and can't believe we are over a 1/3rd of the way done. Next mark will be the 1/2 way mark which will make it around 250km of running for me. Not bad coming off of years with no running due to back issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't missed a day of the 100/100 season. Raced Frostys Frozen 10 Miler today. Felt great to run hard. 7th over all and 1st M40-44

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Nice easy run in the rain today. I am now at 35 runs and can't believe we are over a 1/3rd of the way done. Next mark will be the 1/2 way mark which will make it around 250km of running for me. Not bad coming off of years with no running due to back issues.

Congrats...that is fantastic. Sorry I almost missed day 33. By now you guys are almost 5 weeks in, so you should have a repeatable routine/process in place. Keep cranking out the miles, but be conservative. If you can make it from 50-60 days in without injury, it's pretty well clear sailing!

Yikes, it means I have 67 days for my goal of doing my first run. I don't feel anywhere remotely close, although I'll probably end up swimming 300K in 100 days at the race I am going which is usually around an entire year's worth swimming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers Dev. Whether or not you achieve your recovery goal by the end of the challenge, it won't be for lack of good spirits or motivation; both of which you emanate on these forums.

I sometimes think that we suffer through training as a luxury, in that life and fortune has afforded us the health, finances, and time to challenge our minds and bodies so that when life's true trials present themselves, our will and determination are hardened and tested, perhaps a bit more prepared. Some of the stories yourself and others have presented here illustrate this well, and I'd just like to share my appreciation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015-2016 100/100 challenge entered its 2nd third.
439 active people signed up in order to be motivated to keep running. In our part of the world (Ottawa Canada), it is very cold. Well you can run on the treadmil.
Checking the spread sheet, it seems that 263 entered 10 tuns or more. So 176 has decided to participate, but some how could not, or would not.
I am trying my best to stay on course and so far so good.
On day 35 I have 35 runs.
This year I allowed myself to run few runs on the treadmil. Last year, when we had one of the worst winter in memory, I was stubborn to run all my runs outside.
Since I moved this year, and I am 500 meter from a gym, I run, very few so far, on the treadmil.
Looking at the spread sheet at other's activities and entering mine, sure motivates me to keep at it.
It is hard to run 7 times a week and to keep your swim and bike activities the way you should.
Well, since this year there is no full Ironman, I let myself slack a bit on the swim/bike. You can tell which of the 3 is my favourite.
So far all is good. Some runs outside in 10-15 cm of snow were 6:30-7:00 minutes per km, but they were hards just as those runs on the treadmill in 5 min/km pace.
Waiting to spring, 65 runs to go.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [caspibe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am at 34 runs...one off pace...long way to go but feeling pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am at 39 runs, ran every day and doubled 4 times.
Lots of 30:01 runs on the TM, smooth and easy. I have no pain, even getting out of bed! Huuuge contrast to the run ramping up I did in Oct-Nov, with only longer runs 3x/wk. That didn't work for me.
Longest run so far is 11 miles outside in -12C, felt great.

I have 3 full IM planned this year and this challenge is the perfect beginning of my journey to Kona. That's right, Kona...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed my first day of the challenge yesterday and again today but that was planned. I ran the Houston marathon on Sunday and ran sub 3 for the first time! I think I've earned a few days off.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [maija] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maija wrote:
I missed my first day of the challenge yesterday and again today but that was planned. I ran the Houston marathon on Sunday and ran sub 3 for the first time! I think I've earned a few days off.

Wow, that is awesome!!! Congrats! Take your time getting back in. The micro damage from sub 3 marathons can linger on for months if you don't respect the recovery!

Here is my story...last time I went sub 3 was in 2002 and I swear there are some days where I can still feel the impact of that day....I went deep into the well for a 2:59.52 in Boston...was on the rivet for the last 8 miles with zero flex in terms of letting up. I don't think I have ever been able to push myself that hard again...whether it is physical or mental, I don't know, and while those 8 seconds were the hardest I ever worked for, to this day I continue question if it was wise to go that hard. Also I think I wore myself down just getting to the start line. I with 4 weeks to go, I basically dropped 7 lbs going from 145 down to 138 lbs by limiting food intake to "lighten up" which was on top of training. It worked, but don't really want to do that stuff again.

In any case, that's my old war story....but please take your time to get back into training....you can double up later in the challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's worrying to hear. I'm shooting for sub-3 in April (London marathon) having got within 6 or 7 minutes a number of times in the last few years. I'm pretty sure that weight is the big thing keeping me back, and even more so hearing that you were at 138 when you achieved it... my 185 current weight (or even my 175 goal) seems a little ridiculous in comparison!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev

Why am I doing this again???

I'm 36 for 36, 281 mi's and 30 hrs into it with no double up days. Lots of 5mi days with a few longer 10-17 miles days. I originally was going to try to go 100 -100 and I thought this would help me get ready for Boston but am now wondering if it's going to just wear me out? As someone who has done 100 days before, can you tell me, am I just at that stage in a long run where I am about to get through it and feel better / stronger or am I going to continue to wear down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
Dev

Why am I doing this again???

I'm 36 for 36, 281 mi's and 30 hrs into it with no double up days. Lots of 5mi days with a few longer 10-17 miles days. I originally was going to try to go 100 -100 and I thought this would help me get ready for Boston but am now wondering if it's going to just wear me out? As someone who has done 100 days before, can you tell me, am I just at that stage in a long run where I am about to get through it and feel better / stronger or am I going to continue to wear down.

I have done 100+ in the challenge a couple times and yes you are likely at the stage where every run seems difficult. Some of that is physical fatigue and for me some of it is mental. You will break through that stage and start feeling really good, then it will cycle back around at least once more.

I would definitely recommend taking a day or even 2 off. Come back next week and do two really easy 30 minute runs and you are still on track. It has been rare that I have run more than 14 days straight during the past challenges.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [AdamOJWall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, I'm doing London this year too.
1/3 down and so far, so good. Need to get the longer miles in but not panicking yet.
A 9 month old is making this years challenge 'interesting'
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Wow that's quite a story!

I am surprised how quickly I am recovering compared to the 3 other marathons I've done. I ran easy today and only have a few tight spots but not a lot of soreness. I still plan to take it very easy for two weeks and then take another week or two to ease into harder training after that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [maija] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my run tonight made only 4 for the challenge.
Been doing a few cycling challenges as well.
I'll be fortunate to get to 30.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonus for us pre dawn runners - see some planets!

http://www.nytimes.com/...ytcore-ipad&_r=0

From NY this morning I saw Venus, Mars and Jupiter. Maybe Saturn too.

Added benefit as we approach 50! More enjoyment to early morning runs.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 21, 16 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was sick over christmas (its a recurring theme) and the hard work of last year is all gone as far as my times/bpm/distances are concerned. I have done 7 incredibly slow runs (to heart rate -- GoGo Maffetone) to date, but my training worked last year so I have faith in it. This challenge is inspiring and I wish everyone the best with their own personal goals. if I can get anywhere near 70 runs I will be very happy, but a target of 50 will still need a bit more mental fortitude on my part xD Thankfully I am very easily motivated and 1 glance at the leaderboard already has me eager.

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Jan 21, 16 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [triphilc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sort of remember those days, I think my sub-conscious must have blocked them out a little... kids are 7, 5 and 3 now, so almost out of the woods...! Certainly we get more sleep than we did when they were very small...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [caspibe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caspibe wrote:
2015-2016 100/100 challenge entered its 2nd third.
439 active people signed up in order to be motivated to keep running. In our part of the world (Ottawa Canada), it is very cold. Well you can run on the treadmil.
Checking the spread sheet, it seems that 263 entered 10 tuns or more. So 176 has decided to participate, but some how could not, or would not.
I am trying my best to stay on course and so far so good.
On day 35 I have 35 runs.
This year I allowed myself to run few runs on the treadmil. Last year, when we had one of the worst winter in memory, I was stubborn to run all my runs outside.
Since I moved this year, and I am 500 meter from a gym, I run, very few so far, on the treadmil.
Looking at the spread sheet at other's activities and entering mine, sure motivates me to keep at it.
It is hard to run 7 times a week and to keep your swim and bike activities the way you should.
Well, since this year there is no full Ironman, I let myself slack a bit on the swim/bike. You can tell which of the 3 is my favourite.
So far all is good. Some runs outside in 10-15 cm of snow were 6:30-7:00 minutes per km, but they were hards just as those runs on the treadmill in 5 min/km pace.
Waiting to spring, 65 runs to go.

i ran up to my day of surgery and then tried about 10 days postop but then had to back off again and let my oncologist decide when i could start again. but as of today, i've got 21 runs in and 12 days in a row right now. or maybe 11. can't remember. anyway, my plan is to run every day ala BarryP and do the DD 200 challenge (but it won't be 200 miles but instead 4 months focused running. maybe every day.). right now plan is 100 days of running. we'll see.

for those of you in the frozen north, here is a pretty sunrise we had the other day (wayyyy tooooo cold to run at that hour other than out to the beach for the picture (wearing a down jacket) and back under my blanket).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply

Prev Next