Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been on this schedule for about 3 years now, so I am somewhat used to it by now. It is nice to be about the only one out and about at that time in the morning, basically me and a few drunk college students who closed the bars ( and a skunk or two )

Having said all of that, I am out cold by about 9:30 at night, and really need my AM caffeine shot.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not specifically to TriBeer, just clicking on the last message. I'm throwing this out to the ST experts in this thread instead of opening a new one since this is linked to one of my goals of this challenge.

One of my goals this off-season and through this challenge is to get from approx 195ish down into the 180s. W/o going through the whole story - when I graduated from college back in 1992 I weighed over 250 lbs (at 5'11"). In 1993 I started training for a triathlon with a new roommate who was training for one and ended up losing over 65lbs. I have managed to keep the weight off over the years primarily through training - rarely through dieting. The last time I was consistently in the 180s was for my first Olympic tri in the Fall of 2010 (and everyone asked me if I was sick).

Since then I've hovered in the 192-198 range depending on the season. Last year I trained more than ever for my HIM in September and still never got below 190 for more than a day or two and did the race mid-190s. I am currently at the exact weight I was at in December when the challenge started. Have not lost one pound (or gained). I thought my diet was ok - not great - and knew that was probably the reason for staying at the same weight so I started tracking my calories in/out via myfitnesspal for the last two weeks. It was pretty clear right away where the extra calories were coming from and what I needed to cut - my portions were wayyyyy off from what they needed to be for my meals and on anything that was snack related (like nuts for example and a non-snack item - fat free flavored creamer in my coffee).

Since I eliminated all of the excess I have consistently been way below calorie goals per day for each day of the 2 weeks. So much so that I adjusted down the goal or total for the day and have been giving myself less credit for exercise calories than the app does. I'm not seeing much in the way of results (I gained a pound).

I'm looking to lose this weight because I think that it would be better for my running/Tris if I'm in the 180s - less stress on my body and hopefully I'll be faster and I also think it will be better for my overall health. So my question is - assuming that I'm close on the meals/calories because I know that the first answer will be I'm not entering correctly - what could be a possible reason why I'm not losing weight? I'm not obsessing about this or worried - I'll continue to run and eventually add back in biking and swimming and tweek my diet where needed but I'm curious what others think. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheKoz wrote:
. So my question is - assuming that I'm close on the meals/calories because I know that the first answer will be I'm not entering correctly - what could be a possible reason why I'm not losing weight? I'm not obsessing about this or worried - I'll continue to run and eventually add back in biking and swimming and tweek my diet where needed but I'm curious what others think. Any ideas?

I recommend against obsessing too much on immediate results. There are all kinds of things that can cause a pound or two of fluctuation. Even your change in diet may have caused a change in water retention. Just stay consistent and over time you should see results.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing here. Been steadily losing since August, but once I started the challenge and running substantially more my weight loss flatlined. However, my body composition has gotten way better, so i've been tacking it up to lean mass gains, especially in my legs, and water retention.

And anecdotally, I think those calorie counters overestimate for people who are in better than average cardiovascular shape - I would assume that lower resting HR would mean lower metabolic activity and would thus translate into fewer calories burned during the course of the day, contrary to the 'more muscle burns more calories' line that you hear from most fitness experts. but i have no evidence to support that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've inspired me. I have a free membership to the local gym for the week and they open at 5 am. If you can get up at 3:30 am to run outside, I'm going to this gym before work tomorrow and take advantage of the free membership. I can do this! I can do this! I can do this!

Be safe out there at 3:30 am. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
You've inspired me. I have a free membership to the local gym for the week and they open at 5 am. If you can get up at 3:30 am to run outside, I'm going to this gym before work tomorrow and take advantage of the free membership.
I can do this! I can do this! I can do this!

Be safe out there at 3:30 am. :)

Thanks, I think my biggest danger comes from the wildlife, just about got skunked the other day. Neither the skunk or I were all that happy to see each other so early in the morning.

It sucks to get up some ( most ) mornings, but it is nice to have the run/ride done for the day and I am pretty much guaranteed that the 3:30a to 5:30a timeslot is free from conflicts.

As a side note one of the reasons I am out that early is that my wife hits the gym at 5:30 for empty treadmills and choice of TV. The kids are up at 6:00, so its not a like there is a ton of opportunity to sleep in the blwmhv household.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Managed to overcome the pain in my leg and get in 4mi on monday and 6.2mi yesterday. Leg has still been pretty sore in the morning, but by afternoon/evening is feels like it has loosened up and am able to run on it. Today was the first day that the soreness didn't cause my travel time from train station to Uni class to be longer than normal. So if all goes well on todays run. I am hoping to get those doubles going soon.

I am pretty sure it was the change in shoe style I made last week. After switching back to my normal pair, there is no pain while running or discomfort for that matter. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will not be changing my shoes anytime soon.

It is always nice flipping through this thread and reading the struggles people are having and how they get through them. We are a motivating bunch.

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
I'd be dragging too if I got up at 3:30 am to run in the dark.

If I got up that early to run 9 miles, I'd drag butt all day. How ya feeling now?

You deserve extra points.

x2! I feel like I beat the world if I'm running before 8am. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, Jen, last year I was in teh challenge for a few weeks and then had to drop out (injury) but I'm so glad you're sticking with us. If you can afford RT to Cancun and back, I can offer you some free sun here.

Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like a winner today and I wasn’t competitive!

Yesterday, I took a vacation day on a warm, beautiful day in Virginia, so I grabbed my old, worn Mizuno shoes, leashed Bumpass and ran outside for six miles around the lake with no fuel or HR monitor: Just me and Bumpass. I actually felt the runner’s high again. After running, I walked one time around the lake for a cool down and went home. Grabbed a large cup of water with a hint of Gatorade and biked 19.5 miles indoors for one hour on my 18 year old Lifecycle, best piece of equipment I’ve ever purchased. Jumped off the bike and grabbed my bathing suit and drove to the pool for a one-mile swim. Hadn’t swum in 4 months, but it felt great. After my swim, I took a break in the gym’s Jacuzzi. While relaxing in the Jacuzzi, a gentleman asked me if I was the lady in the far swim lane. I said, “Yes.” He responded with, “You made everyone look bad here!”

Yep! I feel like a winner. I don’t need no stinkin podium spot or PR to feel like a winner. I just do, because I did: S/B/R for fun & good health!

Today, I ran an extra 30 minutes indoors. Oh! What I do/done for this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super WOW!! Color me impressed. I keep telling myself, "it is a TRIathlon, not a DUathlon." Gotta get back in the water...

Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go get your feet wet, young lady!

I thought I'd feel bad in the water having been away for so long, but it felt good. My arms don't hurt at all today either.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I'm not posting daily because I've had a minor meltdown and am so far off the 100/100 there isn't any point. But, in the spirit of the camp, here is what I've been up to.

I was out for 5 days with a nasty cold. Some people are able to train thru them but not me. I felt like shit. I ran again for 2 days then had another meltdown. The winter gloom has really gotten to me and I'm fighting some depression. I managed to get on the treadmill last night for mile repeats but I don't mentally feel much better. I've started Vitamin D3 regimen that I'm hoping will help. My trip to San Diego for the half marathon was originally planned to give me some sun during the worst time of the winter and it rained the whole time I was there. While that sounds funny to some people, it almost killed me. I spent a lot of money for a winter lift and I didn't get it. It brought me to tears while I was there. I don't have the vacation time or budget to try again so I'm stuck for several months. Hopefully my trip to Xantusia in April will bring some sun.

I can hear the advice: Running will help! Well, running in the rain doesn't help but I'm trying to get restarted this week.

This happened to me during the beginning January. Was on vacation from work. Had my lil bro down during his break from school. Got sick. Tried to train through. That didn't work. Basically had to take a whole week off. Meanwhile I had a half marathon in two and a half weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [kwolansky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone who jumped in after my call for more posts/stories/motivation. That's exactly what I hoped for. If we were a college track team, we'd share these type of stories during warmups. The idea of a virtual camp is to create that effect electronically. I think we all go through ups and downs on a weekly basis. Both the ups and downs are worth sharing. The "ups" get others hyped up. The "downs" are also nice to share, because we can sympathize with one another.

To Jen and other on the sickness front, do what you need to do to get healthy first and then worry about running.

To those trying to shave off a few pounds, I think the best option is just focus on the training and try to eat well and then use the belt buckle test to know where the trend is going. Actual weigh ins can fluctuate dramatically. Typically my weight on Monday is 3-5 lbs heavier than it is on Wednesday as my body is retaining water from either racing or massive volume and intensity. Once my muscles are no longer swollen and my kidney's process all that water out of the system, the weight drops....but the belt buckle stays in the same spot (well, I want it to go down for race season, but this is not race season).
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't think this belonged on page 2 so

Day 61 I had in 67 runs and 337 miles. When this challenge started I had just come off of a couple of months of some pretty inconsistent training. I don't think I've ever ran over 35 miles per week, the last few weeks I've been over 40. My main goal has been to be able to run tomorrow, so a lot of really slow stuff at low HR. I think just with that my slow pace has improved by a minute or so since the challenge. This month I've been able to get in a little more swimming and hope to up the biking a bit. My plan is to stay between 40 & 50 miles per week and work in the other sports as well. Did my first speed session last week and it went a little better than I thought it would.

1/2 Mary in a couple of weeks.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likewise, my weight has flatlined but I can tell in the mirror I'm not quite as blobby. Here's hoping to lean mass!
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [bob_nohope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did some tempo work for the first time in a few weeks. After 3 straight days of doubles it, surprisingly felt quite good to pick up the pace.

70 miles last week and 75+ for the next 2 weeks should put me on a pretty good track to meet my goals for the challenge this year, which when I posted on Dec 14th I thought might be too ambitious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of pictures today. Today one of my daughters participated in 1 million a pie (not sure that that equivalates to in English but it was a dance to bring awareness to the violence against women). It was off the beach so I thought I'd bring some sun to you great white nawtherners.

walking back to the car, it is very normal to see men left their shirts to expose their enormous bellies when it is hot, but this is the first time I've seen a female do it.

some of the moms who participated

kids dancing. see if you can spot the dance-challenged gringa (who keeps at it, diety-love her)

little more beach and kids

yessir, that's my baby...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you're referring to "One Billion Rising"

It really translates to "1 million a pie" in Spanish?

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
sorry mixed spanish and english. it was un billion de pie (which is a billion standing). Sorry about that. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must pinch yourself everyday: What a beautiful place to live. Looks like paradise to me. This morning I woke up to icy roads.

Thank you for the pics. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*sigh*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhhh pie......this amount of running makes me hungry enough, and you slap up that pic! The beach shots and the nice looking weather aint bad either...........it probably says something that the pic of the pie got my response though.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100/100 Days Challenge Tip Of the Week.

Aer you have progressed through a 4-6 week base training and begin to enter the fundamental stage of training Threshold Training is added. Threshold training a key part of every successful training plan. You have been gradually increasing to moderate tempo is your long runs(roughly a marathon pace) through the finishing stages of the base training. Threshold training should be challenging but not exhausting. Threshold pace is usually half marathon pace. As you progress the initial training will allow you for more challenging work. I like half marathon pace as it allows for a bit more work without requiring massive amounts of recovery time. I also like the use of a heart rate monitor and let the monitor control the workout rather than pace over time you will see the length increase and the heart rate lower. The Threshold training builds your aerobic support and when added with race specific workouts allos you to maintain faster paces for longer durations.

http://futrmultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2012-13 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Thread - Feb 2 day 50 - ends Mar 24 [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Didn't think this belonged on page 2 so

Day 61 I had in 67 runs and 337 miles. When this challenge started I had just come off of a couple of months of some pretty inconsistent training. I don't think I've ever ran over 35 miles per week, the last few weeks I've been over 40. My main goal has been to be able to run tomorrow, so a lot of really slow stuff at low HR. I think just with that my slow pace has improved by a minute or so since the challenge. This month I've been able to get in a little more swimming and hope to up the biking a bit. My plan is to stay between 40 & 50 miles per week and work in the other sports as well. Did my first speed session last week and it went a little better than I thought it would.

1/2 Mary in a couple of weeks.

Just catching up with this thread today. Need to log my last 2 runs.

The part of your post in bold is one of the most important lessons not just for this challenge, but as an age group triathlete in general. I always tell the guys in my training group here that you want to end every run feeling like you could run 5 more k if your life depended on it. That means you are not burying yourself in terms of recovery. Keep in mind we need energy for the rest of our lives and we actually need to recover for tomorrow's training while we conduct our family, work and other responsibilities.
Quote Reply

Prev Next