Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours
Quote | Reply
Summary: 350k, 3,800 meters of climbing in 9.5 hours. 243 Weighted Avg and 7,500 KJs. https://www.strava.com/activities/337957399. Countless bottles of Skratch, UnTapped, rice cakes, GF zucchini bread my wife made, and assorted bars consumed.

"There's talk of a July 2 200 on 100. You've been warned," was the text from Ted King about two weeks ago. That's ample time to prepare for a 200(+) mile ride with guys who get paid to race, right? Luckily I had some endurance from a 100-mile late May gravel race and prep for last week's elite nats road race #fail, but I knew this would be a different animal entirely.

Along with Ted and Tim Johnson, the current Canadian pro national road race champ, a brute from U.S. U23 national team and a couple other guys--some of whom jumped in along the way--were aboard.

We started at Canadian border just past 6am with a ridiculous pace that let up 9.5 hours later at the Mass state line. It was tough to get accustomed to; not just the power required but speed for that long, which meant never drifting. We had hours of cross or headwind at sustained 250+ just to sit on. The big boy's power for that duration is something to behold.

Everyone cracked at one point or another--most of us more than once. A reoccurring leg cramp I've been fighting flared up around mile 125 and the gullet went on strike at 8 hours. It became akin to an IM in shutting off mental chatter and willing your body to get it done. I've been in the box plenty bike racing, but hadn't visited that place you go to on such a lengthy effort, in quite a while. Good times.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 3, 15 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
herculean effort!

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, your GF made zucchini bread, and your wife made bars?
How'd that all work out? ;-)

EPIC ride. Thx for sharing!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this one required a lot of prep while I put my feet up.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 3, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of trophies!!!

At least you can enjoy your 4th weekend guilt free now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow Ted on Strava and was so blown away when I saw that monster hit my activity feed I had to tell my wife about it...after having to explain what Strava was and why she should care...just so I could tell someone. A huge congrats for hanging in with that crew. To do that distance alone is ridiculous, but the elevation is just nuts. I'm going to go have a beer in your honor now and tell my legs they've failed me.
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [Jimbo77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only hanging in but contributing to the cause is mandatory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You Sir, are a "dumptruck full of awesome"!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good god almighty. RAD.

Did you guys have a support crew? Or just really big pockets?

Thx for sharing!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted & Tim organized a full support crew including two follow cars and mechanic. Some of their personal sponsors like Skratch & UnTapped provided provisions. We also made A LOT of rice cakes.

Couple guys were also shooting a vid, which I'll post a link to when done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some great videos out there of some very strong amateur racers who did this ride with Teddy and others a few years ago.

One of the guys babbles incoherently into the camera near the end of the video after he bonked/shattered towards the end of the ride.

Glad you enjoyed the ride and VT during a pretty classic New England summer day.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice...

I was following along on Ted's twitter feed, where it was pointed out at about mile 125 that things must have been getting sucktastic since all media alerts ceased...

Looks like your max speed (58.6 mph) was well above the rest of those wusses...
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I follow Ted on Strava and also Chris Lyman, but don't always open up their rides to look at the details. When I saw the two of them along with others I opened up the ride and was shocked when I saw the data. To hang in that ride with that group is beyond epic, IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://vimeo.com/27367910

Ted: "I usually get my second wind after about 8.5 hours..."
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 on 100...not to be confused with 200 "NOT" on 100...

https://vimeo.com/67230920
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
https://vimeo.com/27367910

Ted: "I usually get my second wind after about 8.5 hours..."

"I'll take 'Things I'll Never Know', for $1000, Alex."

Actually, I did ride for 8.5 hrs once - ONCE - and I had whatever the exact opposite of a second wind is.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Ted & Tim organized a full support crew including two follow cars and mechanic. Some of their personal sponsors like Skratch & UnTapped provided provisions. We also made A LOT of rice cakes.

Couple guys were also shooting a vid, which I'll post a link to when done.

Wow. Pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds about right. There were numerous narrow, fast sections with loads of potholes that were white knucklers. Ted's and Tims's ability to play with phones at high speed is impressive but even they kept both hands on bars.

One of the support guys asked me how I was feeling 4 hours in. I said I'd know at 150, which Ted concurred with. Around that point we were slogging up a false flag headwind and you could tell from bike language that everyone was feeling it.

Ryan Kelly, who is the dude who fell apart on first one, was there. He started sounding incoherent around 5 hours in but caught a good second wind.
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [Jimbo77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbo77 wrote:
I follow Ted on Strava and was so blown away when I saw that monster hit my activity feed I had to tell my wife about it...after having to explain what Strava was and why she should care...just so I could tell someone. A huge congrats for hanging in with that crew. To do that distance alone is ridiculous, but the elevation is just nuts. I'm going to go have a beer in your honor now and tell my legs they've failed me.

Not to diminish anything from the ride, but 3800m over that distance is actually pretty regular. Not Florida flat, but quite a few IM courses have the same amount of elevation-per-total-distance ratio - it's just over 1000m per 100km. It only takes a few rolling hills sprinkled over the ride to get that much climbing over such enormous distances.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Added to the list of things I have to do one day. Slightly slower, I hope, but a fast-paced long ride is an unmatched experience. Last time I spent 8 hours on the bike was one of my most memorable rides.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dumb question. what does "200 on 100" mean? I get the 200 is 200 miles I think, what is on 100?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
dumb question. what does "200 on 100" mean? I get the 200 is 200 miles I think, what is on 100?

Route 100 in VT. It's the road they rode on.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Jimbo77 wrote:

Not to diminish anything from the ride, but
I'm going to go right ahead and diminish it anyway.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 200 on 100 ride report - 350K in 9.5 hours [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding 220 miles with 12.5k feet of climbing is a long day but not something impossible. Probably like an IM--becomes an exercise in will power more than anything else. But the difference is speed at which the big boys ride. Even sitting on it's like a race pace, which takes a certain amount of recalibration. So it's like doing an IM with someone else dictating tempo.

Aside from that, we started a 10k climb around 270K. It was tough, pitchy and windy, so even though the climbing profile wasn't insane, it was the culmination of everything that made it harder than it looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mind blowing...

You guys are so strong it is RIDICULOUS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next