Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2008 US Paralympian Swimmer, Marin Morrison has passed away..........Inspiring story.
Quote | Reply
Hi Friends,

For all the ways we get so myopically wrapped up in our pursuit of this multi-sport, sometimes at the expense of our partners and children. All too frequently, there comes along a special someone who puts it back in some much needed perspective: Someone young enough to be one of our children, who will never live old enough to to enter college, let alone "age up" to the next division.

Marin came to my area of Washington state 3 years ago to get help from our region's cancer fighting centers. She attended my high school, and trained at my aquatic center in Bellevue, Wa.

As followed by our local ABC-affiliate, Her fight against aggressive brain cancer became an inspiration to many of us in the region. Our 18 year old Olympian passed on yesterday morning, To a place without surgeries, pain and loss. I am sure that she is now free to get back to two-a day sessions(plus weights and Dry-Land, of course!), and to start doing lifetime bests in the nicest aquatic facilities around.

Click here to link onto a small story I posted on the US Masters Swimming forum (picture a wetter, smaller Slowtwitch), to follow her story of the last few seasons, her journey to the Olympics, and her passage to peace and light.

For all the ways we bitch about little stuff, whinge-ing about the effects of middle age and lusting for the next cool bike part.......lets not forget what it is like for someone who is too young to leave, and for whom the highlight of every day was her swim workout......to the end.

And appreciate and enjoy your training tomorrow

Love your family and friends
and do some hard, fast laps for Marin

peace
tom
Last edited by: TomP_imc: Jan 3, 09 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 US Paralympian Swimmer, Marin Morrison has passed away [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I saw her story on NBC late last fall. Very inspirational!!! I am sorry to hear she passed on. Her strength will always live on in others...
Last edited by: McLovin: Jan 3, 09 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 US Paralympian Swimmer, Marin Morrison has passed away [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing Tom. I also saw the NBC coverage of Marin and found it extremely touching.
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 US Paralympian Swimmer, Marin Morrison has passed away..........Inspiring story. [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was an incredible girl. I followed her on the local news as well. Sad that she lost the fight but she got to live her dream which few people get a chance to do. It is a lesson to all of us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 2008 US Paralympian Swimmer, Marin Morrison has passed away..........Inspiring story. [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, thank you for posting a link to Marin's story. I did not know her personally, but before she moved to Washington her family lived just a few miles away from us. She trained at the same facility with the same coaches as my kids do, and one of her high school coaches here in Georgia is a friend of mine. I have been following her family's Caring Bridge journal for over two years. Her story is absolutely heartwrenching, but incredibly inspirational and beautiful.

We should all learn from Marin and her family about what true courage and beauty are.

http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/marin
Last edited by: trigirl125: Jan 4, 09 6:33
Quote Reply