Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x Aero Chainrings
Quote | Reply
Looking at going to 1x on my Tri bike with Sram Red AXS. Planning to run a 54T chainring that would mate to a AXS PM Spider (4 bolt 107bcd).

From what I can tell my options are:

- Aerocoach ARC/Aten
- Drag2Zero
- Alugear

Any others?

Anyone have any experience with the aero coach ARC/Aten non circular design? Is there really a benefit there?

Any other experience with the others on shifting and chain drops?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m running a 56t Aerocoach Arc.

TBH I bought it because I wanted to go 1x, and I got a great deal on it - the Arc shape had little to do with the decision.

I do not notice the non-circular shape at all. No positives but no negatives either.

I’ve dropped the chain twice on training rides, but have plenty of miles on the rings now - probably 2 dropped chains in 2000 miles or so. No idea the cause of the dropped chains - but I’m also running 11 speed di2 which has no chain retention in the RD - so with sram (which I thought does have some kind of clutch), you should be golden.

Quote | Reply
I ride a Stone 54t aero chain ring. In addition to it being aero, it also weighs less than my previous 1x SRAM chain ring I replaced it with. Been toying with going with a 56t or having one on hand for flatter races.

They make AXS and non AXS SRAM bolt on rings. Stone also makes oval variations if that's what you like.

Can be sourced from E-bay but I just bought 'direct' from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/...=a2g0o.cart.search.0

Quest also makes a similar ring but haven't seen an oval if you really want one of those... both are in the 3mm offset range AFAIK that gives a nice chain line for 1x.

I've dropped my chain maybe 2-3 times in several years of riding 1x. One of those was in a race so I bought the Drag2Zero chain catcher for added security. That was also in my eTap days, so the rear derailleur didn't have the clutch of the AXS... zero drops with AXS but still running the chain catcher.
Last edited by: xeon: Apr 2, 24 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyramid Cycle Design in the UK makes super high quality rings for a number of unique applications. I have also used the Stone rings as a budget alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
…
Any other experience with the others on shifting and chain drops?

Can’t comment on the 107bcd rings, as I’m running AXS 1x direct mount PM chainrings on my bikes, but - chaindrop. Yes, it can, and at some point it will happen!
Even with the narrow/wide tooth profile on the chainring, proper chain length, and -tension.
I rode 1x for a LOT of training miles without any issues, then entered my first race with the 1x setup, hit a bump at the apex of a pretty sharp turn, and the chain fell off to the inside. Was a sprint tri, needless to say, stopping, getting the chain back on, and getting back into it, cost me a spot on the podium.
I since then mounted the Wolf tooth LoneWolf, and never dropped a chain since.
I highly recommend it, even if it’s just for peace of mind.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Apr 2, 24 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve,

I'm doing the same on my new build with a 1x setup with SRAM Red AXS.

I'm looking at going with Digirit. Custom carbon cut. I'd get a 52t and a 56t and pair with 10-33 and swap the two big rings depending on the course profile. A 54t might be best of both worlds but I'm not excited to climb in the 54t-33 small gear for a hilly full Ironman (Lake Placid)

It's a carbon chainring that Magnus Ditlev and Trevor Foley are both using. If Magnus is using it, that's enough info for me...

They can make direct mount from scratch but I'm going to pair it with the Rotor Aldhu carbon crankarms (155mm) and Aero Mas spider.

https://www.digirit.com/...page/road-tt-46t-54t

I haven't pulled the trigger on it, following this thread also... what do you think of this?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [TriSki20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Justin - first I have heard about digirit. Seems kinda expensive tbh for just a chain ring though. I don't see any weight listed but I'm assuming they are carbon and relatively lightweight?

I really don't think there is a wrong answer here. All these companies appear to be making pretty much the same product (minus aerocoach with the non circular design).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyramid looks promising and it seems a lot of people like them on the UK Time Trialing facebook group. But they don't appear to have sram axs 4 bolt 107bcd.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garbaruk, great rings.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Garbaruk, great rings.

Jeroen

I second Garbaruk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second for Garbaruk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running a 1x Garbaruk 48t aero chainring on a 110 bcd 5 bolt spider, on the 2023 version SRAM Force AXS crank arms/derailleur. No chain drop yet, but also have a Wolf Tooth Lone Wolf chain catcher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
related but not answering the question exactly:

I'm looking forward to the new Wattshop crank. It's heavy, but it'll be darn aero
https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/...ong-origin-crankarms

It's made to work with the SRM Origin powermeter and I assume Wattshop's own Cratus 1x chainrings (currently sold out).

Crank comes out in April. Joe Skipper plans to be riding this crank and I'll see if he's already on it for Oceanside. I do love the ease with which crank length can be changed on this crank (and SRM's own crankset that uses the Look trilobe).

I do think Magnus's choice to be on the 3T Torno ultralight and ultra aero crankset with powermeter pedals and a Digirit chainring is the best call when aero is everything.

The two powermeter pedals I'd consider are the SRM X-Power road pedals and the Look Keo Blade pedals. Both forego the pods, which as we saw with that aero shoe test that has since been pulled down (where the experimental design consisted of one rider testing one shoe), when the rider's shoe rubs the pod, all power measurement accuracy is out the window. I still don't desire charging my pedals vs the ease of using a coin cell battery. But, when aero is everything, I do think separating crank from powermeter like Magnus has done is the path forward.

For calculating gear choices, my favorite tool is this one: http://yojimg.net/...b_tools/gearcalc.php

Enter the crank length and tire size and use the Sheldon Brown Gain ratio output for comparisons.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the Aten at 24 hour world tt champs. 500+ miles in 24 hours no issues. Shimano. Also a few big training rides approaching 300 miles. No issues. Also no affiliation with Aerocoach.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Garbaruk, great rings.

Jeroen

How many UK companies are making chainrings and other bike parts?!?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, appears the crank and SRM PM are on his bike already. See his latest YT vid.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
related but not answering the question exactly:

I'm looking forward to the new Wattshop crank. It's heavy, but it'll be darn aero
https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/...ong-origin-crankarms

It's made to work with the SRM Origin powermeter and I assume Wattshop's own Cratus 1x chainrings (currently sold out).

Crank comes out in April. Joe Skipper plans to be riding this crank and I'll see if he's already on it for Oceanside. I do love the ease with which crank length can be changed on this crank (and SRM's own crankset that uses the Look trilobe).

I do think Magnus's choice to be on the 3T Torno ultralight and ultra aero crankset with powermeter pedals and a Digirit chainring is the best call when aero is everything.

The two powermeter pedals I'd consider are the SRM X-Power road pedals and the Look Keo Blade pedals. Both forego the pods, which as we saw with that aero shoe test that has since been pulled down (where the experimental design consisted of one rider testing one shoe), when the rider's shoe rubs the pod, all power measurement accuracy is out the window. I still don't desire charging my pedals vs the ease of using a coin cell battery. But, when aero is everything, I do think separating crank from powermeter like Magnus has done is the path forward.

For calculating gear choices, my favorite tool is this one: http://yojimg.net/...b_tools/gearcalc.php

Enter the crank length and tire size and use the Sheldon Brown Gain ratio output for comparisons.

A SRM Origin Track PM with 144bcd 58 Kappstein Chainring (or heavier Pyramid ones) and the Wattshop Crank arms looks slippery too and has low q-factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
Garbaruk, great rings.

Jeroen

How many UK companies are making chainrings and other bike parts?!?

Garbaruk is Polish afaik, same for Alugear

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Looking at going to 1x on my Tri bike with Sram Red AXS. Planning to run a 54T chainring that would mate to a AXS PM Spider (4 bolt 107bcd).

- Aerocoach ARC/Aten
- Drag2Zero
- Alugear

Do we know if the above options offer sram specific chainring tooth spec (I mean for the larger rollers on the flattop chain)

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had Garbaruk, Drag2zero and just about to fit a set of Alugear rings.

They have all been find. The Garbaruk was a the noisiest, I think this was from the length of the teeth, never dropped a chain though.
Drag2zero was heavy but very stiff. The Alugear are so light I am actually concerned about the stiffness of them, not going to worry till they are fitted though.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
stevej wrote:

- Aerocoach ARC/Aten
- Drag2Zero
- Alugear

Do we know if the above options offer sram specific chainring tooth spec (I mean for the larger rollers on the flattop chain)

Yes, our Aten 107bcd 4 bolt rings are specifically designed around the slightly different roller dimensions on the SRAM flat top chain (it took us ages!)

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Yes, our Aten 107bcd 4 bolt rings are specifically designed around the slightly different roller dimensions on the SRAM flat top chain (it took us ages!)

That makes the choice a little easier then :) Thank you for the info.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pass Quest chainrings https://pq-bike.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
thetrickster wrote:
stevej wrote:

- Aerocoach ARC/Aten
- Drag2Zero
- Alugear

What is the chance that the Aten rings will be available for additional bolt patters? I would love to get a 2X set for my Power2Max NGEco crank, which is a 5 bolt 110bcd
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Aero Chainrings [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't plan to do 110bcd 5 bolt for the Aten rings I'm afraid, the amount of units we'd have to make to make it economically viable for the customer is just too high for that configuration :(

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply