Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help......
Quote | Reply
Well, i took ya'lls advice and held off buying a Tri-bike until i knew for sure Triathlon was a good fit for me. After a handful of sprints this year, I can say " I love it" and I want more! So, i've decided to purchase a tri-bike and I've narrowed it down to two bikes. I want to get it soon, so I can put plenty of miles on it before my first race in 07'. Here are the options I've come up with and any little tid bit of advice you can give would be very much appreciated........

1) Cervelo Dual $1900.00 (I'm sure you know the specs)

LBS is a certified F.I.S.T fitter and you get 1 1/2 hours of fitting with the purchase of the bike.

2) QR Tequilo $2299.00

LBS is not F.I.S.T certified

This is the price range i would like to stay in, but if you have a another bike i should look at please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help...

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help...... [RIPTIDE 11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say go with option #1. Both bikes will do what you want them to do, but the FIST fitting is worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help...... [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have a n=1 anecdote on this - and it dates back to 2004 - FWIW: Take a look at the frame sizes those two bikes come in. My LBS at the time had a 55cm QR Caliente on sale and Duals in all sizes available. Dual would have been less cash out but the sizing just wasn't right. The perfect size for me for a Dual would have been an in-between size while the Caliente frame size is just right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word of advice, get fitted first, then get the bike that matches you best.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More is correct. Too many people pick a bike first and then try to get fit. Get your fit from the F.I.S.T. LBS. If you buy there then it is free. If you don't then use the numbers and take them to wherever you do buy. A professional bike fit is always worth the $$$. And a bike that is a few hundred over budget but fits, always beats the great deal!!!

Gary, BS, CSCS, USAT II, USAC III, USATF I
http://www.tothemaxfit.com
http://www.fitnessredefined.com
"Only those that have gone too far, know how far they can go"
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help...... [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate ask a stupid question, but how do you get fitted first without a bike??? Do you have them take all your measurements and then tell you... " you need a 55 Cervelo, 56 QR and so on ????

Quote Reply
Re: 1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help...... [badgnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, i wrote my last reply, before reading yours.... Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good fitter will have a fitting system of some sort (Serotta size-cycle, bikefitting.com etc) and all the tools to measure your inseam, femur, torso, shoulders, arms, etc. They'll take your measurements and somehow (manually, computer program, something) come up with some ballpark numbers of where you should be, then transfer those measurements to the adjustable bike, which you will get on and see how it works. They can fine tune from there. Once that is all done, they can transpose those measurements to frame measurements, and help you match those measurements to a real bike.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: 1st Tri-Bike purchase......Help...... [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome !!! Thanks for all of your help..... :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone's correct about the importance of fit, but I'd like to throw an option out there re: the dual. The price you listed is the DA model; it might not be a bad idea to go for the ultegra model (I know the basebar / aero bar setup is not the same, which sucks) and use the money that you save to put towards a race / disc wheel. Just a thought.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. You should also be prepared for the possibility that neither of the 2 bikes you are currently eyeing would fit you correctly.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply