Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1st 26.2 one week before 70.3?
Quote | Reply
So how stupid is it to race your first marathon about 8 days before your second ever half ironman? Two races that I really want to do unfortunately fall on back to back weekends. This might be good, because I get burned out easily on training, but it's probably more bad due to possible injuries and other reasons I'm not thinking of. I should probably add that I'm not planning to be competitive in either race.
Thoughts?

http://trismashley.blogspot.com
Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing. -Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [trismashley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recovery from a marathon is probably more than 1 week, unless you are a good runner and are used to the mileage. I would pick one race and focus on that. Took me 2-3 weeks to start real running after an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pointer, that sounds like a completely logical reason!

Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing. -Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on if you want to do well at either event. If you go for a good time in a marathon, you probably won't be able to run up to your potential again for 2-3 weeks if you are a high mileage runner (50+ miles per week) and over a month if you are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you run pretty big mileage and run the marathon as an easy training run you should be fine. If you race the marathon it will completely destroy you for well over a week. Probably a minimum of 2 weeks.

I was a pure runner before triathlon and for me running 70mpw and racing a hard marathon I needed at least 2-3 weeks before feeling decent. I cannot imagine racing those 2 events on back to back weekends. I also need about 2 weeks after a 70.3 to start feeling decent.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery from a marathon, if run properly, can be longer than an IM. I've done 5 open marathons, and in every one have hurt more afterwards compared with an IM. I did an Olympic tri a few years ago two weeks after a marathon and it didn't go very well. Doing a 70.3 a week after a marathon sounds like a pretty bad idea.

That being said, some pros will race IM's on back-to-back weekends. A few years ago Matt Russell came in 2nd at IMMT and then won IM Canada a week later. You probably don't have the base that he has, though. It could be done, but it will be ugly!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree proper recovery from a marathon is longer than 1 week, but it is still a quicker recovery than a full IM.

OP, since you've mentioned you really want to do both, then do both! Racing is when you reap all the benefits of your training, so why not try to maximize it. You've mentioned you don't plan to be competitive in either event, so try to hold back the effort level in your marathon a fair bit, and realize that your legs might not feel as fresh as they should during your HIM. Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable, so if you'd take satisfaction from doing both races, then do them. Just hold your performance expectations in check, which sounds like you are.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! This is definitely what I needed. I think I knew the logical answer, deep down, but didn't want to face it! Sounds like it would be a waste of money on both events to barely cross a finish line, as I do not have a strong running background. I had planned on just doing the marathon, but found out the Rocketman Half at Kennedy Space Center (which seems pretty darn cool) is being offered for the last time this year, and it is the weekend after two local marathon choices. Marathons will always be around :)

Last edited by: trismashley: Apr 15, 15 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [applefritterz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your running consistently 50mpw now, then if you cruise the marathon (think just slightly faster than IM pace), then you can recover and have a descent 70.3. Far from optimal training to say the least, but how you manage the weeks prior will be important.

No challenge is impossible, it just take a good plan and compromise on performance goals.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismashley wrote:
So how stupid is it to race your first marathon about 8 days before your second ever half ironman? Two races that I really want to do unfortunately fall on back to back weekends. This might be good, because I get burned out easily on training, but it's probably more bad due to possible injuries and other reasons I'm not thinking of. I should probably add that I'm not planning to be competitive in either race.
Thoughts?

It takes me 8 days after a full marathon before I can even walk correctly again, let alone run...
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [applefritterz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree - don't do it.

Coming out of a marathon you're already in a recovery hole. Adding a 70.3 a week later will just dig you deeper into that hole which will take longer to recover from. Especially since this is your first marathon, you don't know how badly you're going to break down/how much time you'll need to recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did my first 70.3 and then my first pure HM 6 days later. I ended up with peroneal tendinitis and couldn't run for about a month. Not quite the same situation, but I hope it helps you decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty stupid you should just find a different mary or him and do them further apart, I could barely walk for like 5 days after my first mary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HIM isn't going to be your best regardless, coming 7 days after a 26.2 mile run. Given that it's your first marathon and second 70.3, I'm assuming that you don't have a huge base or weekly mileage built yet.

One option is to race the marathon and then go easy on the 70.3, the other is to do both at a mid-level effort. The second option holds a reduced chance of injury.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Apr 15, 15 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO a really bad idea. Recovery from a marathon is longer than a week. I think it's a recipe for injuring yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad idea.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismashley wrote:
Thoughts?

It is pretty stupid no matter how many races you have under your belt and no matter how old you are. Actually goes beyond stupid in my text book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more vote for "bad idea." I remember my first full marathon, I was not prepared to do that distance at race pace, despite ample proper training. Even if you said you wanted to do the marathon at 80% to save yourself for the next weekend, you will end up running it at race pace. That's just how we are all wired.

I've run three marathons & while the recovery times have gotten shorter & better, I remember that after my first, I was an absolutely worthless pile of jelly for 3-4 days afterwards & I did not run again for almost 2 weeks. And wen I did run again, it was like I had reverted back to my fat slow self from years ago.

If you already had several marathons under your belt along with several HIMs, I would say that you know what your body can do & what your recovery times are. But since you have never raced 26.2, my bet is that you would end up a DNF or even a DNS at the HIM the next weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First marathon, second HIM, "do not have a strong running background".

Definitely choose between the two. First marathons can require a long recovery, even with a solid preparation and running history.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
It is pretty stupid no matter how many races you have under your belt and no matter how old you are.

Wow! Judgemental or what?!

Plenty of athletes with a decent base can do these types of turnarounds. It's fine if you know your body and how it recovers.

Sometimes it's a pro chasing a paycheck, sometimes it's a singular opportunity to string together some interesting races abroad knowing you are unlikely to return, sometimes it's just adding another dimension to the race challenge, and for some of us, it's just for the enjoyment that the sport brings.

It could have been any number of those reasons for Yvonne Van Klerken last month; sprint finishes for both 2nd place at IM Melbourne and a win at Challenge Batemans Bay (HIM distance) on consecutive weekends.

Without the "stupidity" of some of my race schedules, my time in the sport wouldn't be anywhere near as fun and rewarding as it has been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a glutton for punishment and I don't even like the idea. If you want to ratchet down your expectations for the marathon and run say 30 seconds per mile slower and take some breaks during it then I think it is more reasonable, but racing it, no way.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the Baltimore marathon 3 weeks before IMFL as my last big workout. Would have been fine except I was in a groove during the marathon and didn't stick to my plan. Ended up BQing and running my second fastest marathon. My point being, it is really easy to get wrapped up in the moment and blow any well laid plans that you may have had for what the workout should be when you put yourself into a race situation!

So I know without a doubt that effort had an effect on my IM performance even 3 weeks later. And the IM was my A race for the year.

My recommendation? If you are trying to do well at either one, you are going to have to sacrifice the other or know without a doubt going into it that one race is going to suck bad.

Last edited by: Daremo: Apr 17, 15 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about racing a 70.3 a week before a open 10k? with avg of about 160miles a week on the bike and 40miles running.since janurary.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be ok for 10k after a 70.3. Recovery for a 70.3 is less than a marathon, usually a week unless you blow yourself up.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st 26.2 one week before 70.3? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And comparing the OP to YVV is a valid comparison. Not.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next