Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 140 cranks - not bad at all [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sojourner wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:
Please let us/me know if it hinders your out-of-the-saddle climbing. That's what makes me hesitate going below 167.5.

N=1
5'10"
"Smooth" out of saddle to begin with
Out of saddle sensation to make power at VO2max and above as follows - 180>175>172.5>170>167.5>165>148

WOW, we must be twins! kinda. about the same height, (a hair under 5' 11"), I went from 175 to 165 on race bike and 154 on trainer in 2012 out of saddle climbs not as good. Every thing else about the same. Tried 149's and couldn't get "into" them - at all (maybe OK for flats). I live right next to the Sierras so, gotta climb. This year on 170 race bike and 165 on trainer. Climbs are better already, but, not as good w/175.

In fantasy land. I'd have 175's for out of saddle climbs (maybe 180's) then they'd change to 165's for everything else. Maybe I should make an invention!

my 2 pennies

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: 140 cranks - not bad at all [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nice.
Can someone please correct me, but I think that bike is UCI illegal as the bars are lower than the top of the front tire.....cool!

@Andrew69: I'm using a standard -17deg 90mm stem, and yes the bottom of the bars are a bit lower than the top of the front tire. This frame has a shorter head tube than many. I believe female pro's raced on this R3-SL, though ... so if really UCI illegal maybe the rules have changed since then ... some of the females would have needed this size frame, if none of the males.

@Damon: Do you remember if Longo raced on this frame? I believe she rode Cervelo's for a while and would likely need the size 48.
Oh and I think your suggestion of a 48-53 fork coupled with 145-150 cranks would be best - but darn those forks are expensive, and this bike is 4+ years old. I still love this bike even with funky cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: 140 cranks - out of saddle climbing [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 140 cranks - not bad at all [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi caf0,

Pretty sure Longo rode Cervelos in TTs, but a different brand for road.

However, Emma Pooley rode size 48 Cervelos in 2009 and 2010. Not sure if she even rode an R series, she really loved her S-series bikes (same geometry). They worked great for her trademark long solo breakaways. Which reminds me, someday I should get write the story of her amazing victory in the Montreal World Cup, in which she attacked 400 meters after the start and held of the field solo the rest of the way for victory!!

There wasn't yet enough short crank momentum to convince her to switch from her 170s, but she was on 165s on the TT bike. We requested shorter cranks from Rotor, who had been recommending 165s to Carlos Sastre even in his CSC days, and now we see Rotor offers the broadest selection of short-length, high-end cranks of any company.

Yep, those forks ain't cheap. Glad you like your Cervelo, 140mm cranks and all!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Feb 24, 13 7:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next