Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10 Mile TT Number Check (6'0. 155, 290w) now with Videos
Quote | Reply
Stats: 29 years old, 155lb, 6'0, FTP 292 last time 20 min test

Bike: Giant Trinity Advanced SL0, HED Jet 9 front, Jet Disc Rear, Attack/Force clincher tire combo, latex tubes
Apparel: Pearl Izumi Octane Short Sleeve Skinsuit, Bontrager Ballista Helmet, Velotoze Shoe Cover

I've done this local TT 3 times now, 10 mile out and back , dead flat and a few turns.

Trial 1, 289 Watt Avg, 25.4 mph avg

Trial 2, 279 Watt Avg, 25.2 mph avg

Trial 3, (Today), No Power or HR, 25.5 mph avg

Do these numbers look okay or is it possible that I am leaving a lot of time on the table for my weight/power ratio due to position or something else?
Working on a position pic.....

Course:

Bike:

Position Videos Front, Side:

https://youtu.be/ZI-t8jEERfA
Last edited by: kppolich: Dec 27, 17 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to be faster with thos stats. Its difficult to say. We dont know wind or road surface, etc. Honestly except for equip critique for very marginal gains, we have to see your position and the more accurate you can be with video angle side and front would be most helpful in anyones advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeroness aside, if your FTP is 292 I would expect that you would be producing power above this for a TT effort lasting under 24 minutes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's awfully hard to compare different people on different courses. When I'm in shape (which ain't this year), on a course twice a 20.9 mile course with a 261 ft of elevation gain, on 281w, I average just under 25.5. I'm a little over an inch taller, but I outweigh you by 25lbs - again, when I'm in shape. I'm 61. I don't know how good/bad my position is.

Bike:
Shiv Tri, Reynolds RZR92s with carbon cover, Vittoria EVO CX tubulars, TriRig base bar and brakes. Spec TT2 helmet (which seems faster on me than my old LG Rocket)

I think you have some work to do. Latex tubes? Your extensions look tall and long to me. But that's a wild assed guess. Did you ditch the behind the seat bottles and cage to the short TT? But all of this seems fairly minimal - maybe 10-20 seconds.

Using the old "a pound costs 4s in a flat 40k at a 1hr pace" rule, you should be 40s faster on our weight difference alone.

Unless I've really goofed, that leaves position...
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Aug 8, 17 21:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a time trial this past weekend of roughly the same distance. The slowtwitcher known as blue stack did it as well he is roughly the same size and weight as you averaged around the same watts and did roughly the same speed give or take. So it sounds in line to me but maybe he will chime in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a local TT last week, ~23 km. I'm about 5 kg lighter and 3 cm shorter than you, but about the same power (<290 W). Average speed was 45.8 km/h.

Your equipment looks about the same level as mine, so I'm guessing you could gain significant speed by working on your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look at the "post your times from your last race" thread and look through people who have posted TT efforts. That will give you an idea of what other people can post time wise for X number of watts.

The absolute best bet would be for you to look up the "platypus" thread and learn how to analyze your data yourself. and then you can start working to improve it. This means during your TT's you'd need to collect some more information.

Short of the two suggestions above, then post a picture of you on your bike and ST will take a guess and tell you your seat is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5' 10
177lbs
FTP on the tri bike with P2M meter is 280.

I ride a old specialized transition with a brick front end, Boyd 90 wheels, GP4 tires with latex tubes.

Did a little training TT a few Saturdays ago. Smooth roads, low traffic, good conditions 8-10kmh winds most cross.

I averaged 43.7kmh (27.17mph) on 296 watts (the meter reads low, this would be closer to 315-20 with my powertaps).

I am planning clothing and helmet change and some VE aero testing and plan to get this speed on these watts somewhere closer to 45kmh.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107135338
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those corners will slow to down big time, especially doing them out and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your FTP overestimated? That was my first thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) [bllx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have any recent pictures of your setup and position. You are getting close to or already are weapons grade aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on rough guessing of other parameters, your CdA is about 0.28. lots of work to do

just plugged numbers in to gribble online calc, crr 0.004 and density at 1.19 and assumed no wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am your same height and weight. My Olympic race this last weekend was AP206@24mph. I don't have any 10 mile TT to compare but maybe you have an Olympic distance bike around 206 watts to compare to me? I had 10 traffic circles to go through so that probably sounds like your ride with turns.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Is your FTP overestimated? That was my first thought.

7 mile road bike time trial a month ago #'s

320w Avg power, 330w NP, 24.9 mph, 16:18 for 6.78 flat out and back TT with no turns and 66ft of elevation gain.
Last edited by: kppolich: Aug 9, 17 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your ftp is 29x, you should be able to produce more power for a sub 25min TT. generally in 10mi TTs i have done (no turns, flat) i have been able to produce anywhere from 300-320ish for the 20min effort (FTP of ~300ish) depending on level of fatigue. generally that has resulted in ~28-29mph. your course isn't as fast, but it definitely sounds like you're leaving some mph on the table. i am the same height and weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll lose some time on the turns and the turnaround. What does your speed profile look like through those areas? For the longer straights, what's your power and speed? How was the wind that day? Temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure? But 25.5 at that power does kind of suck. Knitted out I'm doing around that speed on 30-40 watts less, and I'm an inch shorter and a few pounds heavier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good news is you have the potential for lots of improvement. I weight at least 10 lbs more and put out about 10 watts less, but i am generally in the 29-30 mph range. The only major difference is that I live at 5000 ft, so air density is lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things I haven't seen here (apologies if I just missed them)

What the elevation profile like? Hills do slow you down.
How was your pacing? Was NP close to average power for instance.

Wind, road surface, tyre pressure and of course your position would all make a difference.

As mentioned above, the platypus thread can be your friend.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
A few things I haven't seen here (apologies if I just missed them)

What the elevation profile like? Hills do slow you down.
How was your pacing? Was NP close to average power for instance.

Wind, road surface, tyre pressure and of course your position would all make a difference.

As mentioned above, the platypus thread can be your friend.

Elevatoion profile: see 1st post, flat
Roads: older chip seal, with 2 spots about a quarter mile long with fresh chip seal and loose gravel.

Air density: 1.182

Tyre pressure
Front: 100psi
Rear: 105psi

Pacing- went out too fast, no power due to dead battery.

Wind- 3-4 mph tail out and head back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if those are jet + rim wheels, that is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much pressure, even for previous generation at your weight and road types you list it is too much

you can(or rather I can ) lose 1mph easily on chip seal with pressure that is too high, not to mention I lose power as well from the vibrations
Last edited by: jeffp: Aug 9, 17 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree that it'd help to see a video or pictures from the side and front. I do suspect that your 292w 20 min test has you over-estimated for your FTP-assuming that you did go "al-out" for the 10-mile TTs. Even with the turns, you should be able to push more than 292 for the races.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are the C2 width, not the + width, any recommendations on tire pressure!?
Last edited by: kppolich: Aug 9, 17 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At your weight? Single digits.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) now with Videos [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Position Videos Front, Side:

Last edited by: kppolich: Aug 10, 17 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: 10 Mile TT Number Check (5'11. 155, 290w) now with Videos [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd ride a bit steeper, i'd increase the armpad reach a tad, and i'd experiment with taking most of those pad spacers out. and i'd work on your head position, and probably change the helmet too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next