Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

105 vs Ultegra
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get one of the new Cervelo R2's, and up until now, the R2 came with 105 only, but I noticed this morning that they've released a new color scheme and it is now available in Ultegra or 105. My question is...is the difference worth the extra $400?
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this question has been asked several thousand times around the various bike-related forums on the internet.

The usual answer is "not a lot".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonAg wrote:
I'm looking to get one of the new Cervelo R2's, and up until now, the R2 came with 105 only, but I noticed this morning that they've released a new color scheme and it is now available in Ultegra or 105. My question is...is the difference worth the extra $400?

I have a bike with 105 and a bike with Ultegra. Do I notice a difference in how smooth the shifting is? Yes. Is it a significant difference? No. Would I pay an extra $400 for it given an option? Probably not.
Last edited by: noofus: Oct 8, 15 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 105 rear derailleur and it works like a champ (to replace a smashed Ultegra). I replaced the jockey wheels to Dura Ace (there are other options as well) for a few extra bucks. I'd go with a 105 groupo and start upgrading certain parts over time. Upgraded bottom bracket, tires, brake pads, chain come to mind for that.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I would do 105. I wouldnt say that there is a big difference. 11 speed 105 is good stuff.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as it is 11 speed, save your money and go with 105. "If" you are thinking of going the upgrade over time route? Go Ultegra now. Certain parts, especially the brifters are just too pricey to worry about upgrading.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last road bike was 105 10 speed. My new road bike is 9000DA. I have ridden each thousands of miles. The 9000 FD is better. I'm not sure there is a difference in shifting in the rear.

The weight difference is significant.

Since 6800 is basically 9000 but made with alum I can't imagine there is any difference. In fact I just finished up a 6800 build on my TT bike last night and the shifting is incredible. This was my first attempt at a build and I really spent time making sure all the housing and cabling was perfect for no resistance / etc, but it's absolutely amazing shifting performance.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 105 is fine, but Ultegra is better. Smoother, quieter. Functionally, they both work just fine. For me, when spending that much on a bike, I would go Ultegra for the $400. If cost is the driving factor for you, the 105 is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance wide, I think they are very similar except the weight. Of all the Shimano 105/Ultegra/DA offerings, I think the DA FD is the one standing out to be noticeably better in performance, IHO.

However, there seem to be an imaginary line cyclists/triathletes draw where having Ultegra and above signifies that you are serious into it, while having 105 and below, you are still dabbling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonAg wrote:

$400 seems like way to much to upgrade. Just looking at Bike24, the prices are not that far apart.

(http://www.bike24.com/...4317;pgc%5B8%5D=2720)
(http://www.bike24.com/...4317;pgc%5B8%5D=2720)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Oct 8, 15 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Companies including Cervelo often downgrade cranks and brake calipers from the Shimano groupset. Interestingly, the gray R2 with 105 lists FSA Gossamer Pro brakes while the black with 105 for the same price lists 105 5800. I'm guessing both are FSA but I don't know. The Ultegra model lists 6800 brakes. All three models have a 50/34 Gossamer Pro crankset.

Shimano 105 11sp is very good, but I like complete groupsets.

Personally, I would get the 105 and upgrade the brakes to 105 (if FSA) and crankset to a 52/36 mid-compact Rotor or Shimano 105 (new BB or adapter in that case since frame is BBright).
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The black 105 comes with 5800 brakes and the black ultegra comes with 6800 brakes. You are correct though, last years grey comes with the FSA brakes. I'm indifferent as to the cranks since I'll put on a P2M power meter and crank, but all three versions come with the same crank so it's a wash.

I may just jump on a steeply discounted white one with 105-11sp, which was a done deal until I saw the black frames and the Ultegra option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would put the $400 towards a power meter or a turbo trainer, if you don't have either one budgeted.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra [1shogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1shogun wrote:
The 105 is fine, but Ultegra is better. Smoother, quieter. Functionally, they both work just fine. For me, when spending that much on a bike, I would go Ultegra for the $400. If cost is the driving factor for you, the 105 is fine.

+1

Quote | Reply
no
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden both back-to-back and can't feel a difference between 5800 or 6800. So I ended up with 5800 on both of my bikes. It's your money though, if you just want Ultegra, and are OK with the price difference go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Ultegra. If 400 bucks is enou to make you think about it, I'd say stay with the 105. If you have extra cash, I'd say it's worth it.

It's a preference thing. I imagine it's not a big deal to many people where as it's noticeable to others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Ultegra, but find another shop because if you shop smart the difference between the two groupsets is much less than $400.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply