Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're still only on DAY 2 right?

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somehow I am no longer in the challenge.... can I just join back up and all my runs since monday will still be there?

Edit: fixed I am back in.

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Last edited by: _EH_: Dec 16, 08 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [chadwick2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 2 for 2. Hoping to lose about 12 lbs to get down to 135 (5-9). At the end of marathon season this fall I felt great at 140.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When I run to work with my laptop, clothes and lunch it is 15 extra pounds....add 8 layers of winter run clothes and shoes and that is 20 extra lbs...that puts me up to a whopping 140+20=160.....I really don't know how you big guys haul all that bulk around and go so fast!

You must be getting old Dev. I remember from last year you said you were carrying an extra 15lbs and it wasn't slowing you down at all. It really pissed me off too Now I feel better :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been 160 since grade 11. I am carrying an extra 50 lbs... maybe that is why a good run for me is a 6:20/km pace.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 for 2 so far. I'm hoping to drop my run time down and go sub 90 min on the run at vineman half in a couple months.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to drop my run time down and go sub 90 min on the run at vineman half in a couple months.

Isn't that in the middle of summer? How much time do you have to drop?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in and 2-2 so far. I was planning to do a run focus this winter with ~5 runs each week, but this challenge will motivate me to get out the door for an easy 30 minutes on my non-running days. 14 weeks of adding 1 or 2 of those runs a week should be a nice bump in my mileage.

At some point in this challenge I am going to head over to the track and run that 400 I owe you from the Geb challenge. I am headed home next Tuesday for Christmas and there is a track about 1 mile from my folks house. On the way home on one of my easy runs over vacation I plan to jog by the local high school and do that 400 I owe you. I'll report back sometime next week or the week after. Thanks for setting this up.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do less than 30 minute runs need to be seperated by an hour to add to 30 minutes? I am hoping to do 2 15minute runs AT the gym but my gym workout is likely on 30-40 minutes long today.

Thanks,
Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone asked the obligatory, "What is the conversion rate for intensive snow-shoveling to running?" question. I know we just got a half-foot of snow and shoveling it will likely eat into a bunch of the time that I have budgeted for running.

Bernie

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The conversion rate is zero. We give no credit for dead lifts either. Suck it up and shovel your snow and then go for you run. There are countless guys including myself doing the same....last year I did >1000K of running plus shovelling 14 feet of snow off my driveway. The shovelling will make you stronger. The moment they make you stop at aid station number 23 to shovel snow in Kona, then we will give you credit for snow shovelling in this challenge.

As I said earlier, no wonder Jimmy has such a hard time explainging the difference between 2 bike lengths back and 5 to triathletes....heck, half of you guys can't even figure out what running is, how are you going to every figure out what drafting is.

I think I will need to invite Jimmy as head referee for this challenge. That should get rid of all the dumb questions around here!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

In my defense, I knew the answer prior to typing. It seems every year somebody has to ask the question, this year, why not me?

I have no idea how far I will take the 100/100 this year. Last year I didn't even try it. But I figured I could try to make a go of it. Last year I ended up running about 60 times in the period that you guys ran 100, so it really wouldn't be that much more of a commitment to go a little more. I am sure I won't make 100/100, but 85-90 is a possibility. I find that I need a break from time to time. Also, there will be days when I am at work for 48-72 hours...and our treadmill is on the fritz.

So I'll figure I 'll sign up and keep track and see where it all shakes out.

Bernie

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I saw the pink and I know you were kidding, but I figure it was an opening for me to do my hourly/daily/weekly rant :-) :-). I agree about taking days off which is why there is the option of doubling up for those that want to still hit 100. The entire 100 thing is somewhat arbitrary...it just works out to over three months of getting running volume in by being consistent. It is just a virtual carrot to get us out the door on days when we would rather not.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't really fair that only the Canadians got snow to play in for the first two days. Now it's our turn in the Northeast to strap on the screw shoes and go.

Wind was 15-25 mph, so the dense little snowflakes were turning into anti-eyeball missiles.

I'm considering bailing on run #2 for this morning, and replacing it with snow shoveling (yes, I know, no credit for this) and a second cup of coffee.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word of caution to fellow early morning runners: Don't assume that driver sees you even if you are already in the cross walk and waving your arms to get their attention. I literally was missed from being hit while in the cross-walk by no more than 1". The dude blew straight through the Stop sign and nearly took me out.

I might have to start strategically placing some flashing lights on me. I guess my Neon Yellow Pullover with reflective pin stripping isn't "easy" enough to see...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find doing 50 yard build repeats up and down my driveway in yak trax pushing my ultra wide snow shovel a great way to warm up before a run. Technicaly it could be considered running as my feet are both in the air at the same time for a portion of the stride, expecially when the shovel hits a unseen block of ice ;)

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's when its nice to have something throwable.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a treadmill bunny...

We've got 6" of snow here. Nice powder. I bet trukweaz is doing cartwheels

This morning: 10 mi in 74 min... the middle 8 in 58:16. Because I am just that fast.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
that's when its nice to have something throwable.

Throw a shoe! I hear it's going to be the big thing in 2009.

Ken;-)

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember in 2007 when we did the "Run everyday in January" Challenge. I went 31/31 then. That was a lot of running for me. One of the things I learned about myself during that was that I need a day off every now and then. It is rare for me to even run everyday in a week. I usually go 5 or 6 depending on the schedule.

During that challenge, the standard was 20 minutes of continuous running to be counted. I remember one thing you said was that if you can't figure out a way to get 20 minutes in then running isn't a priority. I think that is mostly true. Since then, I have really evaluated certain things in my life. Performance-based training isn't a priorty in my life, and I'm cool with that. But family, work, school, fitness, athletics, health and fun are priorities. So that is where I am at.

I am glad that I gave you the opening to get your daily rant out of the way!;^)

Bernie

Quote | Reply
JaretJ v slowbern smackdown has to be fairly high up on the priorities list!

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JaretJ v slowbern smackdown has to be fairly high up on the priorities list!

Mais bien sur! Of course, a guy can only take so much smackdown before he learns his lesson. jaretj is a machine. I am going on raw talent.

Bernie

Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply

I might have to start strategically placing some flashing lights on me. I guess my Neon Yellow Pullover with reflective pin stripping isn't "easy" enough to see...[/reply]
I run with 2 very bright blinking red lights, one in front and one in back. Cars stay away much more than they do in daylight. Roadrunner sells them in 3 packs pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm a treadmill bunny...

We've got 6" of snow here. Nice powder. I bet trukweaz is doing cartwheels

This morning: 10 mi in 74 min... the middle 8 in 58:16. Because I am just that fast.
Boo... try 24 inches in the Sierras... It's beautiful running in the snow! Everything is so quiet early in the morning... Although I'll give it to you that your mileage and pace is killing mine :-).

Jason in Truckee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but want to verify. My Tri club is doing a Ride and Tie this weekend which involves 2 people swapping out trail running and mtn biking. Total distance is 11 miles. I'm planning to do the race and then pull out the run time and distance (most likely 5-6 miles in around 45-50 minutes) from the Garmin and post this as a run in my log. No time or distance while on the bike will be counted. I will likely do another longer run later in the day which would count as a separate run since there would be about a 4 or 5 hour delay between them.

Please let me know if that thinking falls within the rules of the contest.

http://www.kickballracing.com
I have many hobbies...make that too many.
Quote Reply

Prev Next