Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did a rant become "noble"....

....I need to get training from the Seinfeld Soup Nazi to up my rant game!!!! OK, gotta go run now.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I might remark that sub 10 hour Ironman studs like Alllan Faulds, Derek Theriault, Barry Dmitruk are all running in the 4:40's per kilometer pace. These guys are also 2:4x/2:5x marathoners.

Not quite calling bullshit on a lot of you guys, but unless you are beating these studs regularly, which I hazard to guess most of you are not, either your pace in your runs is way to fast to get through 100 runs unscathed, or your means of measurement is somewhat off, or like some who can't seem to get their draft zones straight you're applying some lose definitions and giving yourself more lattitude than the reality.....

....just sayin....

Dev

Dev,

I don't see any issue with my average speed so far... based on my recent Half-Marathon result (1:18:59) and using the mcmilliam running calculator. I'm even a little slower, but that's easy to explain with road cover with snow and ice.

My Easy runs pace base on mcmilliam is between 4:16 to 4:35 (6:52 to 7:22), yesterday runs was exactly 4:35 pace (icy roads). For sure I'm not a Sub 10hr IM finisher and I don't beat Allan, Barry neither Derek but I think I can run at a good pace in a Marathon or Half.

I wouldn't be surprise if by the end of the challenge my average pace would be in the range of 4:10-4:30, temperature dependent.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treadmill has kept me honest...

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I just got back from a really COLD run. That NE windy was insane. I did a 4:30 pace run, and it felt nice and easy - I could get used to this. I will heed your advice Dev for the slower pace, as my experience for challenge is zero.

Anyone else in Ottawa feel that wind on their run today?

I am in Ottawa,well Manotick :-) and yeah the wind was pretty strong, I did an out and back run. The out was super easy(with the wind) the back not so much!

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 9K at lunch down Riverside towards Baseline. After 10 minutes, my running buddy got frostbite on the tip of his nose. Spent the rest of the run with one hand covering his face.

I'm doing my long run on Sunday in Osgoode. Should be fun with the snowstorm they predict.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [andy_l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tell your buddy about balaclavas ;-). Every runner in Canada should have one.
Although they are harder to breath through (if you cover your mouth) but hey maybe I should just chalk it up as resistance training for my lungs :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"mmm what if I don't have any recent race results?"

Didn't you do a 5K about a month ago?

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I hear you. I was running with a balaclava, my nose was fine. It's kinda hard to laugh at someone whose nose is about to fall off though. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap the wind today at lunch was cold...I guess minus 15C and howling wind will do it...I popped in the local suburb beside the office park I am in and basically kept loopinig around a variety of city blocks, going hard into the wind to generate body heat and cruising with the tailwind....65 min 14.5K....nothing is happening at work this afternoon, so I spent the next 20 min warming up and doing dumbell weights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked weathernetwork.com and wind gust up to 35km/h and -28 with the wind chill!
I have to run home from work today, so this will be the first big test of challenge: it is friday, it is the last day of work before my holidays, it is -28 with the wind chill. The short run home is 3km (not enough to count as a run, I know I can count it towards the last runs total but it doesn't seem right) or ... I can go the long way home and be over 30mins.
I am pretty sure I know what way I am going ;-)

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah but I don't think that'd be accurate to use as it was a XC race (mudmudmudmudmud) and a slow race for me...

No run for me tomorrow. My legs feel quite miserable. It is not the running but having taught a bunch of spin classes in the past 3 days, I think. Spinning is different from riding on the trainer and it's making my legs all tired! They quite honestly feel awful. Yes, tomorrow will be just a lovely swim day :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the long way...................................DO IT for the spreadsheet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As time goes on, there are more likely to be entry mistakes, perhaps some constraints should be imposed? I'm sure ironotter can run 3.5km in under 16 hours. As absolutes, perhaps it should be necessary to confirm above world record pace, below 3 year old walking pace and +/- 50% of your current average pace?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, it's 50F outside :) first time it's been that warm in awhile. Time to go run before it gets colder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished a 6.5k run that took 33 minutes in crazy winds and blowing snow (funny how spreadsheets and a somewhat obsessive compulsive personality will make you do silly things) and that was all I could muster today. My eyelashes were freezing together and I couldn't see anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, when it is really cold, if you can find a small "block" and go run loops. You can make it into a track workout of sorts, and time the "straightaways" or the entire loop, or multiple loops.

Find yourself a variety of these loops and you now have "tracks" all over the place and you can tune in your pace. On Wed Nite, I did 5x3.5 minutes hard (half marathon race intensity/perceived exertion).....turns out my times were all 3:25 - 3:30 and the footing was pretty iffy, but amazing how on each "repeat" the times were so close....there is no need to run continuously into a minus 28C wind unless of course you are commuting, and even then I'll do 3 minutes forward, then 1 min back, then another 5 min forward and another minute backward just to avoid the risk of frostbite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, thanks for looking out for us. My pace should be dropping a few seconds per mile in 3 weeks. I am in a down period and once I start layering tempos and intervals the pace will pick up slightly. My reccovery runs on the flip side will slow down. I just calculated my yearly average and it has been 6:53 for 2600 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU? I Got your HTFU right Here ;-)

4.0 miles in about 35 min (I knew my treadmill speed was messed up)

Blew out a Yak Trak at the halfway point, but it held together enough to get me home.

Proof that I was actually running

Ahh the sweet tast of Victory

BTW I felt a bit like Ruby Sue today -"Yesterday shovel 3" of snow back goes crossed, today shovel 10" of snow back goes straight, I don't know..."

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
JaretJ v slowbern smackdown has to be fairly high up on the priorities list!

Mais bien sur! Of course, a guy can only take so much smackdown before he learns his lesson. jaretj is a machine. I am going on raw talent.

Bernie

Ya you to keep talking it up... After this 100 / 100 I will be actually make it to T2 by the time you finish :)

5 / 5

To I get a prize if I go Platinum and have the slowest pace/ highest heart rate?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

That was awesome - your best rant in the 100 challenge by far!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To I get a prize if I go Platinum and have the slowest pace/ highest heart rate?

I am sure that today's endeavor narrowed the gap between our respective heart rates. I did 2 hours of shoveling and then went out for an obligatory 30 minute run. THe roads weren't plowed yet so I ran about 5K highstepping it through 12 inches of powder. That is an amazing workout.

I'm 5/5 as of today. It will be interesting to see where my breaking point is.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Wow Dev well done......

I think Im gunning for a week 3 blow out. But I'm thinking more knees or shin... but could be an achilles. Now Oct '07 I did run every day, no injuries. So maybe I'll be alright.

Slow down, I move much slower I'll be going backward.

a day off, WHAT I'm trying to build consistency. 1 day off, leads to 2 leads to well you get the point.

Oh and your right I can't handle the truth.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing a month without a day off is one thing, doing 3.5 months is a bit different.

WRT to the pace calculators, one thing that most triathletes might note is that these are made for pure runners...they don't have additional training load from swim-bike-run...so it is not such a bad thing for us tri geeks to be running at the slow end of the various ranges on account of the intensity and volume we get from the other sports, usually doubling or tripling our weekly hours beyond just pure running hours that the calculators are likely assuming.

I think it is OK to start with a little burst this week, but don't hope to sustain it for weeks on end. Might be good to ratchet back next week with less mileage and if you are into "accounting" and don't want to lose "runs" to count for the challenge, just do some minimum distance runs (which might work well anyway with holiday obligations), and then go back to a bigger week after that...go through 3 cycles (6 weeks) and that will provide both physical and mental breaks without "leaving you out of the hope for 100 total". I can pretty well guarantee that if you can make it through 6 weeks, you'll make it to the end. Plan to feel strong through weeks 3-4-5.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was gonna go out and run tonight but it is still miserable out and it seems a bit excessive, will run in the am before skiing. Next day off will be xmas. Xmas and mothers day are the 2 on which excessive exercise is not permitted.
Quote Reply

Prev Next