Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*pshaw*

A reasonable explanation followed by an action and correction. Where
is the fun in that? ;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seven down ... 93 to go. Gotta bank a few extra now, the holidays may be rough.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, 6 down 94 to go.

Again, this year, I'll note how fast the average speed in training of guys that run much slower in racing seems to be.

I might remark that sub 10 hour Ironman studs like Alllan Faulds, Derek Theriault, Barry Dmitruk are all running in the 4:40's per kilometer pace. These guys are also 2:4x/2:5x marathoners.

Not quite calling bullshit on a lot of you guys, but unless you are beating these studs regularly, which I hazard to guess most of you are not, either your pace in your runs is way to fast to get through 100 runs unscathed, or your means of measurement is somewhat off, or like some who can't seem to get their draft zones straight you're applying some lose definitions and giving yourself more lattitude than the reality.....

....just sayin....

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
setttttttttttttttttttle!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first I wasn't going to do this because of illness, but now I'm feeling better and I've decided to join! I start Sunday or Monday depending on a few factors! Yesssss I am ready!!!!!

________________________________________________________________________________
The only one who can tell you "you can't" is you. And you don't have to listen. --Nike
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Tri-love] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to get my butt into gear! Hopefully Frank will let me run during lunch! How many pairs of shoes will I need over the 100 day period?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. I'll probably slow down over the course of the 100, but for now as long as my joints cooperate I might as well go at a good clip. That and my coach won't let me do anything longer than an oly til I get some running speed, so I might as well work on it now. And my distances are probably off by a tenth or 2, the Route mapper is only so good. So I guess I'm guilty :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i feel like i should hold back but at the same time i have so much free time on xmas break right now I also feel compelled to double up 30' runs a day or two a week for some insurance

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am amazed at mileage in the first 4 days here with the hot shots doing 7 or 8 runs pushing 60+ miles already. At that rate, they'll do 200 runs totalling 1800 miles by March 24. I put myself in serious injury jeopardy doing more than two 60+ mile weeks back to back.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to have a column showing you your position within the sorted column, or better still a graph of your position, to see whether, for example, your relative frequency, mileage or pace is holding up against the rest of the field. All for my own motivition of course, I'm not trying to beat anyone.
It would also be nice to have columns for country and perhaps age group.
Whenever you've got time... :)
Last edited by: stapple: Dec 19, 08 1:32
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [stapple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It would be nice to have a column showing you your position within the sorted column, or better still a graph of your position, to see whether, for example, your relative frequency, mileage or pace is holding up against the rest of the field. All for my own motivition of course, I'm not trying to beat anyone.
It would also be nice to have columns for country and perhaps age group.
Whenever you've got time... :)
and in the graph a line showing where is the target to see if you are ahead of your target or falling behind

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev

One thing that will really impact the running speed is where you live. My Wednesday run loop was snow covered and the footing was terrible and it took 51 minutes and then Thursday I started my run with the same loop and it was 48:xx. Today we are supposed to get 10-15cm by the time I head out for my run so it sure won't be 4:30 pace tonight :) Tomorrow I plan to run 10k with my wife at about 6:00/km and then do the rest of my run so her training will make my total time seem a bit off. Maybe I should plan on her getting down to 4:30/km in the next month :)

I'm impressed by some of the people that plan what looks like 80 mile weeks in the first week. I hope that they have really good running backgrounds or the 100 day thing is going to be rough.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy morning to you

My AM:
8.5 mi -- 61:53 --- treadmill @ 1.5% incline
30 min bike to cool down
60 min yoga class.

Run + yoga = my favorite way to start a Friday.

5/5, alright who else has sore legs???

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 19, 08 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking about it a bit more, it would probably be easiest to provide a CSV download for totals up to any specified date. Then people could analyse as much as they wish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, are you making us justify our pace? Since I currently have the fastest pace on the spreadsheet (which is a little surprising to be honest), I'll give you my justification.

My avg. pace so far is 4:13 - this is a little quick for me, but I'm running much shorter each day from what I'm used to, so I may be a little too "jacked up". As a comparison, I've run just over 3,000 km this year, and my avg pace from my garmin 305 for all those ks is 4:18, so I'm not too far off.

I think my overall pace will settle in the 4:20-4:30 range once I start doing my longer runs on the weekend, and the snowy conditions start to eat away at the averages. Happy?

I refuse to accept that as your rant for the day. It was a little soft. I expect better from you dev.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade, I'm not picking on you in particular...but I might note that our half marathon race pace is 6 seconds per K different and so far we are >30 seconds per K different on this sheet :-).

Seriously though, there are experienced runners who know what they are doing (you are one of them) and other guys who are asking for a blow up in week three either by running too far, too often, or too fast.

People, don't come back whining when body parts fall off in week 3....last year I got a whole whack of guys who either quietly dissappeared, or worse yet said something like, "I tried running every day and I did for 25 days and then my achilles blew up.....this program does not work"

RANT FOR THE DAY, "I'LL TELL YOU WHAT....YOUR FRIGGIN BRAINS DON'T WORK IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN TO BACK OFF, WHEN TO TAKE A REST DAY, WHEN TO GO SLOWER AND FRANKLY WHAT VOLUME INTENSITY COMBINATION YOUR BODY CAN HANDLE"

As Col Jessop told Lt Caffey....."

You can't handle the truth! Son, we play in a sport that requires base, and that base has to be created with hard work. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that your rest day, while tragic, probably saved a blown achilles. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, reins you back and pushes you when you need to!

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at Ironman parties, you want this lame 100/100 challenge! You need my lame challenge! We use words like Honor, Code, Loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline!

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a bunch of posers who run under the blanket of the very challenge that that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick a rest day, cut back the pace or distance, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!"

OK rant mode off....do what your body can do....not what some 1:13 half marathon stud like Rocklinwoody is pulling off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you're not talking specifically to me - it's just slow at the office today so I thought I'd post something.

Thanks for the pace reminder though. Maybe YOU should run faster - have you considered that? Just kidding - we all run what is comfortable.

Let me give you one more disclaimer. My average weekly hours, prior to my wife and I having a baby 9 weeks ago was around 12 hours. For the last 9 weeks, my average hours have been 4/week!! Let's just say I'm always feeling rested these days. This doesn't mean I'm still not going too fast though.

Normally I would be xc skiing right now, but I haven't even got out this year - and forget about the trainer. How's that for a good whining session!!

People might want to put a recent race result into McMillan calculator, and imo your weekly avg shouldn't be much faster than the slower end of the "Easy" run pace. If you are doing a sound program, some days will be faster, some slower, most right around that pace. Doing all of your runs a bit faster than that pace is not the best path for avoiding injury or improving. YRMV.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/...unningcalculator.htm
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I put in 1:22 half marathon time from one I did this summer and I got:

Endurance Workouts Pace/Mile Pace/K Recovery Jogs 8:06 to 8:36 5:02 to 5:21 Long Runs 7:06 to 8:06 4:25 to 5:02 Easy Runs 7:06 to 7:36 4:25 to 4:44

My 100/100 pace to date is in the 4:40's...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmm what if I don't have any recent race results?

I ran really wicked easy on Monday :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. 10 miler time of 59:xx leads to a McMillan range of 6:53 to 7:23. My avg. pace so far is 7:19.

That's going to drop some when I do my long run this weekend, and long runs on a whole will bring my average down. But that's one of my goals with this challenge, increasing frequency and therefore mileage to hopefully be able to maintain my pace better during long runs...and races.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Once again a noble attempt to save people from themselves. Not that anyone is going to listen ;-)

Not sure where you got those numbers from but they seem a bit on the slow side for daniels numbers. My vdot is certainly lower than yours and I have an easy/long pace right now of 8:06/mi IIRC. Yours should be faster than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually running slower than the calculator recommends - but then again, the race I'm plugging into it wasn't run in the snow, and I didn't stop to take any pictures, either.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hear hear! (or is it here here?)

I took a rest day yesterday, and will probably shoot for Bronze at best. It's out of my control now though, I just hired a coach, who seems to understand my need to ramp up slowly. I'll predict 70-80 for myself, which will be a vast improvement over the past.

I've blown up the old achilles before. Try following Molnar's Lydiard shedule, which is a 10 week build to 100 miles in a week. Do that with college indoor track workouts twice a week. Make it to the 84 mile week and then blow up your achilles for 6 months. DO NOT WANT!

Jason in Truckee
Quote Reply

Prev Next