Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1000 Islands Olympic Tri
Quote | Reply
Any ST dudes going ? I'll be there. Look for the poser on a P3SL :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Look for me at.......registration......T-Zone.....Start/Finish Line.....Swim start......awards...... you get the picture. I'll be the one with a crazed look on her face, in abject fear of something going wrong.

I know the guy from Kingston (that had the broken arm) said he was coming, along with a couple of others.

Hope to see some of you. Although, I may have met you already Dev, at one of the other Somersault events. Will also see you at the Canadian.

Tamara

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I registered for it, but not going - illness in immediate family and I can't be away for 3 days. That said, I am going to "do the race" locally :) No sense training for it and just not doing it, right? Good luck and have a great race. Have some extra poutine at the Keystorm Pub for me...

-Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, my last race (and #9 of the season) before The Canadian iron distance 13 days later. 1000 Islands '00 was my first triathlon, back when it was only a sprint with the mid-river start after the boat dropped us out there. I also did it as an oly in '02. I think both David Clinkard and cervloguy have said they will be there. (And Irongirl -- take lots of deep breaths, even though there's nothing to worry about at your end of the deal!)

(I'll be the tall, big-eared, 56-year old poser on the red first-generation P2K.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck at the race Dev. I did Cobourg last weekend so I'm not heading down. You're on a P3SL now .... good thing I got in 4 hours on the bike this morning so I might have a better shot at keeping up with you on that new machine in a few weeks in Ottawa :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan, 2 rides on the P3SL so far. This morning, hard 90K including the timed climb of Fortune Lake Parkway in 4:15. Since June 1, every Wed I've been doing this timed climb at Anaerobic threshold (actually a bit higher) and my times have been between 4:19 and 4:08 every week on three different bikes. So all I can say is that it is not about the bike. Once you get over $1500 for a bike, they are all pretty well the same. The good news is that last year I was 4:19 to 4:35 every week and the year before 4:25 to 4:40, so if nothing else I have been able to improve year to year in training :-).

Irongirl, Steve and others, see you in Brockville. Its one of my favourite races, even though the swim is way too long relative to the short bike and run (at least compared to half Ironman where I can have a disaster swim and still make up ground on the bike-run)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure of the wave starts, but mostly likely look back...way back, I'll be there for the short course posing on my new to me P3, thanks again CCF!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race is on the dark side of the river ;-)
I live on the other side of the river. Clayton area.

Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Last edited by: dirtball!: Aug 17, 05 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you smack talking my swim course??! I'll be bouy placing with a GPS on Saturday. The current can move things around a bit though!

Just so you all know.......

River is great temp - with or without wetsuit, I was fine.

Bike course - no construction or crap on the road - at the time I was on it.

Run course - checked it yesterday, with my GPS and all is good. Wee bit of gravel on Hartley St, due to a water main breaking last week. Not sure if it will be paved or not but it's fine to run on.

Looking forward to seeing the St'ers in person! Hopefully I can hand out some hardware to all of you :)

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irongirl...will the bike course be exactly 40K ? Please say yes. I hate entering Olympic tris and then having none standard distances like 41.5. Any reason why you can't move the turnaround in by 375 meters (two loops so 4x375 = 1500) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there!

cast is off so i'm looking to have a decent swim that wasn't the gongshow of k-town tri

- will be riding a red cervelo soloist (blue race wheels), and either a blue hind or black team canada top - probably with a queens Triathlon visor!

-dave
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Tri2Hover [ In reply to ]
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [mmakbenton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great idea
- i don't know if i'll personally be able to stick around because it depends on my ride home, but if i can swing it i'd be in

-dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beware the three million gallons of liquid manure making its way into Lake Ontario via the Black River...where is the swim???? What are the affects on your already stinky wetsuit?

http://news10now.com/...fault.asp?ArID=47184
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Beware the three million gallons of liquid manure making its way into Lake Ontario via the Black River...where is the swim????

Wondered if that was going to come up. There is no way this is going to influence the swim for this race. Poo river as we have started calling it this past week flows out near Sacketts Harbor which is more around the bend in Lake Ontario. From what I have heard it has had little effects even as far down as Watertown which is still inland from the lake. It was quite a shame but even as close as our village we haven't seen/smelled anything from it. Luckily our water isn't from the river!

Michael

Google pedometer showing how far via water Brockville even is from the spill...and that is if the swim is in the seaway! (115 miles)

http://www.sueandpaul.com/...5Ec%60s@yzaAm%7D%7DA

Another local news page with several stories about it...scroll down:

http://www.wwnytv.net/72k/default.asp

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Last edited by: mmakbenton: Aug 18, 05 5:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev et all,

Well, you are not going to like me......the bike course is currently set for 41.5. I was out on it last night, all is good.

Yes, it's a pain when the course is slightly off the "OLY 40K" standard but we also have to take in safety, numbers and what the City, City police and the OPP have to say. 1.5 is much better then the extra 3.8 course I did elsewhere!

The 10.4K turnaround is set just after a corner. Move in any closer, you are at the corner and safety becomes an even bigger issue. As well as the trees, side roads etc. that hamper where the turn goes.

The 2nd loop turn around is at the top of KING/FORD. You do have to watch for sprint cyclists as they go down the hill while you will go out again. We used to have you come down the hill, doing the SHARP RIGHT TURN and turning again, coming straight back up the hill. That was a little brutal for all!

For anyone coming that has not done it......the start of the bike race is ~500m flat then a short, STEEP hill with a right hand turn.

You come back down the same street, it's a very sharp RIGHT turn. If you miss it, you are in the river! So, PLEASE, listen to the marshalls. Or pay attention to what you are doing!

Police and Bike Course Marshalls are at that area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael,

Yep, you and your lovely family are at the FINISH LINE.

Getting athletes chips, the girls can be our water girls!

I will be at the START/FINISH line at 7:30am, with Volunteer shirts and "job duties" so just find me there. IF you arrive early, I'll be at the registration tent.

THANKS SO MUCH for coming over and helping!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is NO effect of the manure spill where our swim course is.

We swim right in the St. Lawrence at Blockhouse Island, a little far away from the spill to have any issues with us. Whew!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right across from the Race site is Buds On The Bay....good food/drinks and outdoor patios.

Couple other nice resteraunts up on King Street......Keystorm Pub and Brockberry both have outdoor patios.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...Irongirl, at least you could make the run a firm 10K, simply by putting the run turnaround cone 200 m in closer at the 5K point and still leave the 2.5 and 7.5 K turnaround at the same place....please please please I'd really like run one legit 10K course this year. As you know the times on this run are always "suspect slow".

Here are the top 10 from last year, and only 3 guys sub 40 min (including several sub 2:48 marathoners):

1 2:02:01 COLLARD , Rick 91 Ottawa ON 1/93 1/14 Men 40-44 1 20:06 1:21 1 1:01:59 39.9 4 39:57 4:00
2 2:02:27 WILSON , DAVID 481 BROCKVILLE ON 2/93 1/11 Men 30-34 4 22:35 1:31 2 1:03:05 39.2 1 36:47 3:41
3 2:06:23 Takala , Scott 407 Harrowsmith ON 3/93 1/4 Men 18-19 2 20:12 1:21 4 1:03:38 38.9 12 42:34 4:16
4 2:10:58 Paul , Devashish 321 Kanata ON 4/93 1/18 Men 35-39 14 24:38 1:39 6 1:06:15 37.3 5 40:06 4:01
5 2:12:28 ADAMCRYCK , Michael 1 Kingston ON 5/93 2/18 Men 35-39 13 24:23 1:38 18 1:09:07 35.8 3 38:59 3:54
6 2:12:37 Maynard , Julien 273 Gatineau QC 6/93 1/11 Men 20-24 8 24:03 1:37 13 1:07:27 36.7 7 41:08 4:07
7 2:13:01 ADAMS , Rob 4 Brockville ON 7/93 2/11 Men 30-34 12 24:18 1:38 16 1:08:10 36.3 6 40:33 4:04
8 2:13:57 Roediger , Jurgen 362 Newmarket ON 8/93 1/7 MClyde 40+ 3 20:44 1:23 15 1:08:01 36.4 17 45:13 4:32
9 2:14:14 McNeely , Pat 285 Bishopsmills ON 9/93 3/11 Men 30-34 27 26:17 1:46 7 1:06:19 37.3 10 41:39 4:10
10 2:14:51 Rhoads , Nick 352 Madison WI 10/93 2/11 Men 20-24 58 29:30 1:58 11 1:07:20 36.7 2 38:02 3:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess what........the run is 10K.

How do I know this? Me and my trusty Garmin Forerunner have run the course 3x this week! I'll be running it again on Saturday.

I'm not sure why you guys think this run is longer. IT'S NOT! Perhaps the sloping Hartley St. and the 2 hills in St. Lawrence park throw you for a loop?

Last edited by: Irongirl: Aug 18, 05 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, fair, we are all slow :-). I thought you said it was 10.4K ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing the Duathlon, still not too confident in my swim yet, although I'lll probably attempt the Olympic next year. Keep a lookout for me I'll be in my Team Javelin colors.

Two Words: Litespeed Blade :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I survived the contentious swim in the Hudson River for the NYC Tri, and I regularly swim at Woodlands in the St.L. despite the sign that warns of elevated e-coli levels, so I think I'm ready for any nastiness that might float its way to Brockville. Mystery flotsam and jetsam - oh, yum!!

As one person posted elsewhere on a different thread, before the days of E.P.A. and "strict" water-quality testing she regularly swam in Lake Michigan when the area usually smelled fishy and dead fish, in fact, were abundant on the beaches. I would think that after the past few millenia, humans are well-adapted to skanky water conditions. Yes?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Islands Olympic Tri [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As one person posted elsewhere on a different thread, before the days of E.P.A. and "strict" water-quality testing she regularly swam in Lake Michigan when the area usually smelled fishy and dead fish, in fact, were abundant on the beaches. I would think that after the past few millenia, humans are well-adapted to skanky water conditions. Yes?[/reply]

Nope, not even close. It is amazing what one tiny infinitesimal organism will do to a person. Our bodies are quite fragile on the inside. One thing I don't mess with is water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next