Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a problem that someone would learn in chemistry when you do "factor labeling" or "cancellation of units" --- or in trig (which is junior or senior year for an average student).

I'm getting a masters in teaching math - and if an adult isn't in a math/sci career and hasn't done math in awhile, it doesn't mean he didn't know it or he's dumb. It means he hasn't done math in awhile and under different circumstances, maybe could've figured out the problem. Sometimes it's hard to see where to start.

So stop being mean to bmanners :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
They teach trig in 8th and 9th grade now??

When I was in HS, the normal progression was 9th (alg), 10th (geometry), 11th (adv. alg), 12th (trig). If you were accelerated all that simply moved up 1 year and you ended with calculus as a senior.

NYS kind of "bastardizes" the math progression that I (and apparently you) went though in the 70's (and I went to HS in Indiana). Back then the progression was just as you listed. Now there isn't a Geometry (proofs, etc) and Trig (Triangle Math) by themselves. You take Algebra in 9th (and it includes basic Trig), then Geometry (with more Trig), then Pre-Calc (which is what we learned as algebra), and then Calc (which is really basic, and optional). If you are in an honors program then everything accelerates a year and as a senior take real calc (which includes basic Diffy-Q).

My education degree is not at the level that a real teacher with a BS would have, so I am a little weak on why it is done that way now. I believe the idea is that all of the math courses are tied together, so one builds on the other (or teaches what is needed from a previous course but was left out). I hope that makes sense. I'm not really the right person to explain it. I know that everything requires writing, and all teachers are expected to grade and correct grammar and spelling in all classes, which is a change from my HS days.

I teach a course call "Manufacturing Mathematics" at BOCES, which is a Trig class for machinist. A very strange course to a normal math teacher, since you start with long division and fraction reduction and end with calculating chamfer angles and manually indexing a BCD on a plate, without really going into the why, just the how.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
I quite enjoyed this thread.

I agree. This is one of the most entertaining threads yet.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when the treadmill says 10% grade and 3 miles, we are assuming those numbers are 100% accurate??! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [bloomers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloomers wrote:
Ok, can't remember how to the do the whole sin/cosin thing or even if it is much more simple than that. Perhaps (5280x3)x.10? Little help here.

10% incline on a treadmill for 3 miles is how many vertical feet?

Convert it to kilometres (3 miles = 4.8km), 4.8km at 10% is 480m (so much easier this metric stuff), 480m =1,575ft

Much simpler than maths (note the British s on the end here)!

Disclaimer: The 3m conversion to 4.8km is an estimate not an exact figure but close enough to get your answer within 10ft
Last edited by: ZingUK: Jan 8, 11 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always just simplify it to 50 feet per mile per %. So 3 miles at 10 percent is 50x3x10=1500 feet. Close enough and easy math.

I'm probably 5% off the real answer, but I doubt most treadmills are close to that accurace on the grade.
Quote Reply

Prev Next