Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Oddly enough, at family gatherings, I just take off my chip, step off the course, drink NA beer or seltzer, and let the youngsters go at it

I just got pulled before I finished the first lap. I had *one* 16oz beer last night, and I swear I woke up with a mild case of the spins.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Ahead of visit to in-laws for T-giving I should do a training camp this week. Then ride the form through holidays.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Nov 13, 23 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale-titude Camp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Oddly enough, at family gatherings, I just take off my chip, step off the course, drink NA beer or seltzer, and let the youngsters go at it

Hmmm... is drinking NA beer at family gatherings the equivalent of doing a group ride on an e-bike?

I keep a decent supply of NA on hand and find that I will eventually switch to that at some point in the evening so I don't get blown off the back of the bunch. I guess that's like skipping turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

I'm guessing you've got the palmares to sit back and just follow wheels. Well earned.

I tried off the couch drinking last year at Thanksgiving and crashed out the kids' table.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Ale-titude Camp

bravo :)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer that one of our favorites, Taco, has been unable to train since Flanders. Concussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I'm guessing you've got the palmares to sit back and just follow wheels. Well earned.

Something like that, yeah; thanks LOL

I drink a lot less beer since I stopped using Untappd, five or six years ago

Chasing every new release available to me, piling up the badges & so on, was getting to be too much [AND expensive]

As triathletes (currently or formerly) we have a predisposition to be obsessively competitive, and express "Got it, Got it, Need it, Got it" behaviors

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Bummer that one of our favorites, Taco, has been unable to train since Flanders. Concussion.

Yes. That's rough.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very rough. For that long, gotta wonder if it’s career threatening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be - I'm thinking chronic vertigo

First-hand experience, with my own concussion history --- I was demonstrating "head-banging" to my kid once; put on Judas Priest for a few seconds/half a minute tops, and I was dizzy for a couple of days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Could be - I'm thinking chronic vertigo

First-hand experience, with my own concussion history --- I was demonstrating "head-banging" to my kid once; put on Judas Priest for a few seconds/half a minute tops, and I was dizzy for a couple of days

Some things are worth it.

GCN Plus is history? No more race feeds? If true that harshes my mellow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I just saw this, WTF? I've been dreaming of the day when GCN+ secures the rights to all the big races and I can cancel my Flobikes subscription; looks like that dream is dead. We've seen new corporate overlords ruin cycling media before, so I guess this can't be too much of a surprise, but damn. The coverage was really well done and IMO was good value for money. I wonder what'll happen to all their documentaries (very few of which I've actually watched, but sometimes you want something a little different while on the trainer).

So... eurosport + VPN I guess is what I'm looking at next year? I assume that allows me to drop Flobikes, so maybe there's a silver lining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ES+ requires a credit card with EU or GB address. Some previously mentioned that a foreign hotel address did the trick, but no idea if that’s still the case.

One alternative for video only is VPN into Belgium, as each of Sporza and RTBF usually carries most races.
Last edited by: echappist: Nov 15, 23 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d just canceled my Flo sub renewal <insert sad emoji>.

But I guess it’d be an opportunity for them to pick up more races, so fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

But I guess it’d be an opportunity for them to pick up more races, so fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'll be holding my fire on entering my credit card number until I see how it all shakes out. I try hard to support "proper" media licensing for the U.S. vs. going VPN. So I'll give FloBikes and Peacock a chance to up their game. But it'll have to be significant, or VPN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yeah, I'll be holding my fire on entering my credit card number until I see how it all shakes out. I try hard to support "proper" media licensing for the U.S. vs. going VPN. So I'll give FloBikes and Peacock a chance to up their game. But it'll have to be significant, or VPN.

It'll be interesting to see how all the coverage shakes out, particularly in our small Canadian market. I don't think Peacock is a thing up here, and I don't really see anyone stepping in to buy the coverage rights for a niche sport in a tiny market. So it'll likely be VPN one way or another for me in order to access US or Euro coverage. Or back to tiz (shudders).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

This may be pedantic (and IANAL), but the only proper I care about is whether the IP usage rights is properly acquired. When one pays for coverage nominally intended for another locale, a properly executed first sale has indeed taken place, as evidenced by the fact that the seller accepting payment (entities like ES could always reject payment, as they have done to many VPN users). U.S. copyright jurisprudence recognizes the first sale as an affirmative defense against allegations of copyright infringement, with the legal precedence established when the Supreme Court decided that someone sued for selling properly-acquired overseas edition books in the U.S. did not in fact commit infringement on the basis of having properly acquired those books overseas.
Last edited by: echappist: Nov 15, 23 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Race Shmace, they are depriving you of Orla. We here for ongoing support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

This may be pedantic (and IANAL), but when one pays for coverage nominally intended for another locale, a properly executed first sale has indeed taken place, as evidenced by the fact that the seller accepting payment. U.S. copyright jurisprudence recognizes the first sale as an affirmative defense against allegations of copyright infringement, with the legal precedence established when the Supreme Court decided that someone sued for selling properly-acquired overseas edition books in the U.S. did not in fact commit infringement on the basis of having acquired those books properly overseas.

Thanks! Though my intent wasn't so much about legal/ethical concerns, but just that I'd like to see "organic" growth of live cycling media in the U.S. vs. piping in the Euro stuff. Of course GCN+ was, sort of, piping in Euro stuff, but they had strong American content as well. Some crit stuff. J-Pow announcing some CX, etc.

I'm excited because the local, podunk crit/circuit race my geezer team puts on is going to try to go bigger-time. We're gonna have 4 drones and a camera at every corner. Hoping to attract some bigger-time pro teams. I'll advertise it shamelessly here as we get closer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I'm excited because the local, podunk crit/circuit race my geezer team puts on is going to try to go bigger-time. We're gonna have 4 drones and a camera at every corner. Hoping to attract some bigger-time pro teams. I'll advertise it shamelessly here as we get closer.

You should advertise it! You and your teammates are doing the hard leg work, after all.

Btw, is this in Las Vegas or Sandy Eggo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:

You should advertise it! You and your teammates are doing the hard leg work, after all.

Btw, is this in Las Vegas or Sandy Eggo?

Just north of San Diego. Will advertise once we finalize the flier. We got $ to work with because KTM (the owner of Felt Bikes) just built a shiny new U.S. $50M HQ near the course. And Kaiser Health jumped in too.

Which makes sense. The funniest Facebook post I've ever seen when was when a buddy went down in a crit. I got an automated Facebook post, "Kaiser Orthopedics is popular with your friends. 12 of them have checked in here!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly shifting gears, good Sagan interview on the Move. Worth a listen.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Race Shmace, they are depriving you of Orla. We here for ongoing support.

Ha. Was I that obvious?

She's a true pro.
Quote Reply

Prev Next