Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 'the catch' [scorner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent!

Here's another 'the catch':

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! What about Doug Flutie at BC to what's his name on that last minute 'Hail Mary' in the last game of his senior season.

How is one to get down to 1:10 without a good catch (as well as good position, hip rotation, etc.)?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
BTW, 1:20 is very fast, near the first outta the water any any event. You sure you want that strict of a standard?
Not really...especially in a wetsuit. Its a decent pace for IM, but not fast.
Wow, maybe this just shows how much of a non-swimmer I am, but 1:20 per 100 yds would equal a 56:xx IM swim split. That's really fast to almost any AG triathlete. Of course, going that fast in training might not mean that would be your average pace in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we never got taught the catch. it just came to us. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was Emerson Walls. Perhaps Too Tall was breathing down Montana's neck...
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
BTW, 1:20 is very fast, near the first outta the water any any event. You sure you want that strict of a standard?
Not really...especially in a wetsuit. Its a decent pace for IM, but not fast.
Wow, maybe this just shows how much of a non-swimmer I am, but 1:20 per 100 yds would equal a 56:xx IM swim split. That's really fast to almost any AG triathlete. Of course, going that fast in training might not mean that would be your average pace in a race.
Yeah, exactly. Top 5% or better at almost any event, any distance. Hey, I know what I know about swimming, even if I suck.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
no not entirely, i had this discussion with mark avan like an hour ago.
People need to learn how to swim properly first before they start working on advanced techniques, without proper guidance, training, and development, people trying to learn how to swim properly will experience more problems and complications in the end.
Basics first, drills and muscle toning next, proper techniques, advanced techniques.
Like i also said, I was making a very bold statement, and yes as a coach you may have some doubts about the statement i made, but it's not as if you're going to teach someone fairly new to swimming the catch are you?

Wait, why not? Is it not one of the most basic things? Am I missing something here, in that it's a much more advanced thing than I thought? To me, the appropriate progression would be:
  • Body position
  • Kicking
  • Rotation
  • Proper breathing (i.e., no lifting the head)
  • Hand entry/recovery (mostly to prevent injury from bad form)
  • Catch (i.e., bent elbow)
  • The rest of the pull
  • Fitness (crank up the yards)
  • Advanced stuff like pitches of the hand, patterns, etc., and other crap that won't make any diff to me yet)

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [Number5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to see what you are doing to make any constructive comments.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with swimming..you just gotta experiment. ive gone back to a more upright head position and i feel much stronger in the water already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok this is where theres the mis-conception of the catch. catch is not bent elbow. bent elbow falls under proper stroke technique, the catch has to do with the position of the hand corresponding to the position of the arm, and having the most powerful stroke you most possibly could.
It's not like im pulling this out of my buttocks here.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Yeah, it was Emerson Walls. Perhaps Too Tall was breathing down Montana's neck...[/reply]

Everson, not Emerson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody reading this thread would be very confused about swimming.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ok this is where theres the mis-conception of the catch. catch is not bent elbow. bent elbow falls under proper stroke technique, the catch has to do with the position of the hand corresponding to the position of the arm, and having the most powerful stroke you most possibly could.
It's not like im pulling this out of my buttocks here.
Fair enough, as I was sloppy above.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no im not trying to make an attack in any way, i really hope you didnt get that impression at all, i was just trying to give people some insightful information. thats all :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but they'd be learning a great deal about football.

The Immaculate reception was the most important catch BTW.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The slow ones never did 'catch' on ;-)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 'the catch' [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well is the 'catch' just another way or saying 'feel' for the water? this is a very intuitive thing when it comes to swimming
Quote Reply

Prev Next