Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Unfiltered' swimming movie
Quote | Reply
Unfiltered is a documentary about the rivarly between Michael Phelps and Ian Crocker.
The trailer can be found here http://www.swimwiththestars.com/swts-films.php
It looks pretty cool!
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [McGillTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks kinda heavy on human interest and light on technique/training.

And from the preview you get the distinct sense that Phelps dad is a prick.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His dad definitely comes across as a prick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How so? I didn't see that in any way. What i saw was a dad who is really a typical swim parent who has a kid who is tough as nails and competitive- not a thing wrong with that IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[qoute]His dad definitely comes across as a prick.

[/reply]

Hmm-I didn't get that impression, at least not from the short segment.
My daughter is a HS Varsity swimmer and I'm very commited to her future in the sport. There's a lot of tough love between the 2 of us.....but she understands its a huge endeavour.

Now if you want to see some parents that are total pricks( actually downright felons )....... go to a cheerleading competiton ; )

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
What i saw was a dad who is really a typical swim parent...
IOW, a prick.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There's a lot of tough love between the 2 of us....."

Wow!

I am more than glad that my parents didn't give me any of that tough love when I dabbed into a variety of different sports when I was in highschool/college. They gave me tough love regarding my grades, but never regarding sports.

I would probably have wound up like the majority of those prickish "Ex-collegiate/Ex-highschool "Allstars" one quite frequently encounters in AG Triathlon racing.
Most of them are ex couch potatoes, hated doing sports after college and more often than not all around pricks when they actually decide to pick up sports again.

The most decent "Master athletes" I have come across did not swim, run, ride in college/HS.

Quote | Reply
I thought it was wierd that his father was in the trailer. In the despcription of the film they say that Phelps is from a single parent home, and in interviews in only ever mentions his mother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see a prick either. What I do know is that very often, top athletes exude so much confidence, that others do think that they are a prick. Whether or not they are, they know they are the best and that is what distinguishes them from the rest.

Anyone who has been at the top flight in competition has seen both sides of people - the arrogant prick, and the decent individual.

As for the love between Crocker and Phelps, appartently there wasnt any, but now there is. The time they travelled and raced together, I guess they became bud's....................

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'd not his father in these clips, he's his coach. There's a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are talking about Fred Phelps. He is interviewed at the start of the clip. He is not his coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have that DVD and don't remember getting that sense about his Dad at all. Might have to re-watch it and see what I missed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian Crocker is from Maine! He as a couple of the pool records at my college's fishbowl.
Where's Paulo, see, MAINE IS NOT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY! we have good swimmers :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it worth buying?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got the DVD used on here actually for like $15. So I think it worked about to be cheaper than what we paid to go see "What it Takes" and to me was maybe a little more interesting though I haven't watched it again.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't re-review the movie; watch the preview on the website.

His comment was something along the line of if your in 2nd place, your achievement has no value. That might be a good attitude coming from a drill seargant or a coach, but not a father. As I've seen it from so many other cases where fathers who had that same kind of attitude, it's a wonderful way to boost your kids likelyhood of homosexuality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As I've seen it from so many other cases where fathers who had that same kind of attitude, it's a wonderful way to boost your kids likelyhood of homosexuality.

Just a plain stupid comment!

Ric
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [ttracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh...yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Unfiltered' swimming movie [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IOW, a prick.

Hey you're the expert on pricks.

----------------------------------------------------------