Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Twitch this bike fit, please!
Quote | Reply
Quick backstory: Moderate mileage marathon runner got beersuaded into signing up for his first triathlon. Bought this 56cm bike (from a friend who was moving overseas) and has maybe 6 rides on it of ~24 to 50+ moderately hilly miles. Half is next week.

Original fit (left) was done at the local big box national chain shop and position is a pretty fair representation of how he looked out on the road though the toe pointing out on the road falls naturally somewhere between what you see in the two pics. Knees tracking very wide and outside the hips, always choking up on the extensions, some shoulder fatigue, and the crown jewels were complaining.

Throwing caution to the wind, we decided to do a quick and dirty fit adjustment without making any equipment changes, including 1) seat moved forward to the limit and brought ~level (from it's original upward tilt), 2) seat raised a bit (didn't measure but left tape at the original height, 3) front end dropped below 3 spacers, 4) extensions tilted down a bit

I think there's plenty more to do here but not on a tight timeline to his first race and without equipment changes. A few more tweaks (partial reversing of some of what we did) and he's off to the race next weekend.

Looking for fit/position opinions on going forward after the race as it's a sure bet he'll be hooked on the sport by Saturday at ~3pm or so. Give us your best, please...including all the ST no-nos you see here as it's better coming from you all than from me.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: 'Twitch this bike fit, please! [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That chirping sound...is it the bottom bracket or the dreaded Slowtwitch crickets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal preference perhaps, but I like my upper arms 90 degrees to the torso. You could stand to move the armpads/extensions closer to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good for a aero fit on a road bike. I agree that your arms could come back but if its comfy, reaching can be more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Twitch this bike fit, please! [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems we alleviated the impending danger to his continuing lineage with the saddle adjustments, no hips rocking, knee tracking improved, just a bit of tension in the triceps as could be expected. That was while on the trainer and doing a rather relaxed spin for a couple minutes. He knocked out a 50+ miler the next day at a pretty good effort level and reported back that it went well, legs felt good and ready to run when he finished. I'm thinking a shorter stem would help and maybe drop the seat back down just a touch, but I'm hesitant to make another last minute change to what seems to have worked, at least for one ride.
Quote Reply