Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!!
Quote | Reply
I just watched the stage from Tour de Trentino today with the 'Punta Veleno' climb (poisonous sting). 10km long with an average gradient of 14%!!!! Just painful to watch. In 1972 the Giro organisers checked out the climb and rejected it as too 'poisonous' for the Giro. This is the first time pro riders have been over it in a race and they were using 36-28 gearing!! Even so, the 'speed' that the leading pros went up it was incredible.

http://portal.eqentia.com/...12-Giro-del-Trentino

Will
Last edited by: Barlow: Apr 20, 12 0:18
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had the pleasure of a climb that was ~14% but only for 2.5 miles. I could barely turn the pedals over while standing at some points. I couldn't imagine going for 10K and racing someone up there. That would be some bad stuff.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At one point one of the tv motorcycles fell over sideways due to the gradient and slow speed. While watching it my wife said "those bikes look far too big for the riders", I had to explain that the guys at the front are the size of jockeys!!!
Right at the bottom of the climb the lead motorcycle took a wrong turn and the 3/4 lead riders followed for 20-30 meters and then had to do a dead turn back to the climb. Of all the things you don't want at the bottom of a climb like that is to loose all your momentum!!
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved it. Not only the gradients, but also the quirkiness eg the narrow roads. Beautiful - it's what makes cycling such an amazing sport.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a link, would love to see what you're talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have an exact link?

I thought Mallorca was bad.... ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing. A few years ago they debuted Mont Zoncolan. Now this. How many more of these monsters do they have over there?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could open up a Savageman Italy edition. It will sell out fast!!!! Probably the only way I can get the Ottawa guys to fly out to Europe too :-) Hope all is well with you. By the way, how technical is the Savageman run course. I am running regular amounts again, but have to stick to fairly benign terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not technical. There's a 1/4 mile up and back down on a Fire Tower road that is bad in spots. But going up is no problem because you're going slow. Going down you need to watch your step in a few places. Other than that all pavement or good, smooth gravel.

Now back to regular programming. These steeps in the Dolomites are nothing like Mallorca. That's got some sick riding and great climbing, but nothing steep like this stuff. My guess is that the only competition to these climbs will be found in South America.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy could do it on one wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhc9EUGK140
Last edited by: matto: Apr 20, 12 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's one way to cut RR.

Wonder if he's riding 11x53,
11 up front and 53 in back
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, buts its still not scanuppia de besennello is it?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Poisonous sting' climb debut in Pro Tour - 10km at 14% Average gradient!!! [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to steephill.tv, then the Trentino dashboard, then stage 3. Great 1/2 hour there from Eurosport.

Crazy climb, but very impressive ride by Kreuziger (among others) given his size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the Punta Veleno climb several times while staying in Bardolino. It is quite a challenge, especially with 39-25 gearing which I had. I have done some other classics as well such as Mortirolo, Gavia, Stelvio, Fittanze etc. The upper parts of Kitzbuheler Horn are really steep and Mortirolo is long but Punta Veleno is still the worst I have tried. That said, I have never tried the Zoncolan or Angliru.
Quote Reply