Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Nother Dumb Alcataz Question
Quote | Reply
You folks wear "booties" in the swim? I have a full wetsuit, neoprene cap . . . but what about the feet? I have wimp-ass Florida feet that chill easily. The only booties I have found online are from surf shops, and something doesn't seem quite right about them.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Nother Dumb Alcataz Question [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey RA:

I do wear booties but not for the reason you might suspect. I ranted on this topic here before- I've stepped on more sharp crap entering and exiting openwater events than any unlucky person should (like at Alcatraz '04) suffering nearly debilitating puncture wounds as a result.

Look for the lightest, thinnest booties you can find (like a neoprene sock even) and modify the sole if you have to beef it up (like insert a thin foot bed) or try a cheap pair of reef runner/aqua sock style footies. Most dive or surf booties are pretty clunky, at least they were last I looked.

Even without foot protection, your feet thaw pretty fast on the run over to Crissy Field (transition area) so if you're not worried about cuts, forget the booties altogether.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply