Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete"
Quote | Reply
So I get this from faster runners ..... so the question is, what are we doing wrong and how can we fix it? is it lack of kick?
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I can tell by his comment he is a douchebag."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dead legs, no bounce. Slower recovery.

Over training leads to straighter legs and therefore a lack of bounce.

Plus the runners is wearing 5 different pieces of clothing with different Ironman race locations.

And always start his running conversation with " I haven't done an open marathon but based off my 4:45 Ironman marathon were I had to walk for 1:20 I should be able to run a 3 hr fresh.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's the M-dot calf tat and shaved legs?

In all seriousness, it's probably more of a question of build, muscularity vs stride/efficiency, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

Plus the runners is wearing 5 different pieces of clothing with different Ironman race locations.

And always start his running conversation with " I haven't done an open marathon but based off my 4:45 Ironman marathon were I had to walk for 1:20 I should be able to run a 3 hr fresh.

FTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
So I get this from faster runners ..... so the question is, what are we doing wrong and how can we fix it? is it lack of kick?

I believe it's referred to as 'ass in a bucket' running. Very upright and under utilization of the glutes as they are weak/tired/not firing from all the riding. Fix depends on the person, but usually leaning slightly forward and getting your ass behind you and not underneath you.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many triathletes look like speed walkers when they run. With heel to toe and lots of hip action. If you have run at a high level there are certain strides that immediately stand out as not normal. The triathlete shuffle is one of them.

Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must have been the compression sleeves and the fuel belt that gave him away while pose running in the latest running shoe trend
Last edited by: mike s: Jan 29, 17 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly the trucker cap.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
It must have been the compression sleeves and the fuel belt that gave him away while pose running in the latest running shoe trend

The tri shorts didn't help.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FOP AG triathletes vs FOP masters runners: 1) Triathletes are slower- especially over short distances (less than 5k) and long (more than 13 miles). 2) Triathlete are usually heavier (15 lbs)- bigger buts, calfs, tri-ceps, shoulders 3) Triathlete have shorter less bouncy strides 4) Triathletes often have really bad form but are sometimes passably fast anyway. There are no FOP runners with bad form. 5) Triathletes are more anal - measuring heart beat, stride rate, not training "too hard" or "too slow." etc. Runners are much more spontaneous.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fyi, i have no silly tattoo, dont shave my legs, and dont wear tri t shirts. i have seen bounce mentioned multiple times here.. as in vertical oscillation? i thought that was a bad thing as it wastes potential forward momentum ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they mean there's no "spring in your step." Meaning, running laboured, heavy, not much pickup, minimal movement, shuffling.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The typical runner looks like they are one missed meal away from starvation and probably couldnt do a pull up to save his life.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you can tell a triathlete from a runner more by equipment/clothing than stride.

You can often tell the stride difference between an adult-onset-runner and those who ran competitively in high school/college....same as with cycling or swimming; the years of muscle memory show.

I'm not sure there's much difference between the stride of an adult-onset-athlete who focuses on HIM's vs. 1/2 marys.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
FOP AG triathletes vs FOP masters runners: 1) Triathletes are slower- especially over short distances (less than 5k) and long (more than 13 miles). 2) Triathlete are usually heavier (15 lbs)- bigger buts, calfs, tri-ceps, shoulders 3) Triathlete have shorter less bouncy strides 4) Triathletes often have really bad form but are sometimes passably fast anyway. There are no FOP runners with bad form. 5) Triathletes are more anal - measuring heart beat, stride rate, not training "too hard" or "too slow." etc. Runners are much more spontaneous.

I think the biggest giveaway at the pool or at the track is the guy doing the sport with a personal computer on the wrist and constantly pressing all the buttons is the triathlete.

Aside from that, everything else on this thread, but the personal computer on the wrist is the biggest giveaway. Just ask coach Sutto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not directed at you but just in general.

Why do runners and cyclists even make comments like this? Yeah I know triathletes do some silly things but so do a lot of people in just about every other sport.

I just don't get the "oh he/she's a triathlete" attitude. It's cool if you aren't interested in the sport, but some people are. At least they are out there doing something they love to do and improving their health.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jan 30, 17 1:34
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get a group of people all doing the same thing they're going to end up with the same funny habits that are easily observable to outsiders. Like how motorcyclists only ride to starbucks, or women in yoga pants are never going to yoga, or people with a baby-on-board placard in their mini-vans drive like lunatics.

I know the guy in the lane next to me wearing jammers and a 920xt with the really ineffective kick is a triathlete because I look just like him. The same way I know the guy on the opposite side in the speedo who can dolphin halfway down the lane and passes me while doing kick sets and I'm doing front crawl is a "real swimmer".

We understand on a cerebral level that these observations aren't rules, but they're still amusing to see because you see them so often.

If people see me working out and can tag me as a triathlete that okay. Certainly a lot better tan being confused with a competitive eater.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
....Why do runners and cyclists even make comments like this? Yeah I know triathletes do some silly things but so do a lot of people in just about every other sport....
...Because people love to denigrate anyone who's not the same as them. It goes for ethnicity, religion and nationality. It goes for education, occupation and wealth. And it goes for hobbies, interests and sporting pursuits.
Cyclists mock runners, single discipline athletes mock triathletes. Motorists resent cyclists, cyclists label all motorists the same.......

That's people for you.

There may be some truth to some of the claims, but the motivation is almost always just denigration of others to feel better about oneself. And the elements of truth are turned into mean stereotypes.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do runners and cyclists even make comments like this? Yeah I know triathletes do some silly things but so do a lot of people in just about every other sport.

Because people love to denigrate anyone who's not the same as them.

I don't agree this is the primary reason experienced single-sport athletes/coaches make these comments. Though, I'd agree that tempting as it may be, voicing the observations may be of no particular benefit.

I'd say the motivation is partly surprise and a little naivety, because at the top of a sport one might casually expect a triathlete to look like a single-sport elite in each discipline. Somewhat like an Olympic IMer can have a beautiful stroke in all four. To carry that analogy along a little further, beyond the supreme top, many national level IMers will have at least one wonky stroke.

So, it's really a shortfall on perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
...Because people love to denigrate anyone who's not the same as them.

or in the strange case of triathletes, love to denigrate each other. There is a whole lot of judgmental douchebaggery in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I believe it's referred to as 'ass in a bucket' running. Very upright and under utilization of the glutes as they are weak/tired/not firing from all the riding. Fix depends on the person, but usually leaning slightly forward and getting your ass behind you and not underneath you.

I 100% agree this is real. Kind of a shuffle thing going on. Not pretty, but understandable.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
There is a whole lot of judgmental douchebaggery in this thread.

Or there is a lot of sarcasm on this thread........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

...Because people love to denigrate anyone who's not the same as them.

or in the strange case of triathletes, love to denigrate each other. There is a whole lot of judgmental douchebaggery in this thread.

Well, it is January and this place does get a little ornery in the middle of winter. (pink-ish)

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"what are we doing wrong and how can we fix it?"

Higher cadence and longer stride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next