Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you making a montage video to Eminem's Lose Yourself of your accomplishments? You know the one that starts with the alarm clock going off at the butt-crack of dawn.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyday I wake up to a montage of my own running pictures (all shirtless of course) set to Lose Yourself, then I put baby oil on my abs and run through the colleges as the young ladies head to class. Upon returning home I eat 2 egg whites, a whole wheat english muffin with reduced sugar jam, drink a glass of almond milk (after my shot of pickle juice) and watch highlights of Meb pulling away at the 2014 Boston Marathon.

I then head to work and debate people on slowtwitch. I do that until 10pm at which point I go to bed and repeat ad infinitum.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Last edited by: justarunner: Feb 1, 17 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that's funny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could have used the pink font, or not. I'm going to see about changing my username to RunnerSupremo which will make me an official runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

2) Username on online forums is not "TriTramp"

I know I'm a little late with this, but that right there is gold!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
justarunner wrote:

2) TriTamp - umm..I'm on a triathlon form and it gives where I'm located (or at least I used to be) in case others notice and ask about it. also, it's justausername

Again, the name is "TriTamp"

"TriTramp" was the chick in the T3 Thread

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 1, 17 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
justarunner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
justarunner wrote:

2) TriTamp - umm..I'm on a triathlon form and it gives where I'm located (or at least I used to be) in case others notice and ask about it. also, it's justausername

I'm bringing you on board as my personal spellchecker. You're totally on top of it.

Alas, I am putting down my work certifying a 5k course to go take lunch, which I will use to get in another 5 miles through the colleges so I can run by any other young ladies who perhaps didn't see me on my first stroll this morning.

Good-day!

Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alot of triathletes "sit" in their stride due to tight hip flexors and too much slow running. Think about it looking like they are trying to run with their bum stuck in a toilet seat. It is very noticeable to a seasoned runner.

Even at the elite level in long course racing this is very evident.

It is less noticeable in elite Olympic distance triathletes.

IMO Chris Mc Cormack is a good example of the effects of long training and slow (for him) having this effect. Photos of him racing short course when he was younger had him on top of his stride alot more. Then you compare it with photos of him racing IM at his peak and he sagged in his stride alot (comparitively). When he went back to short course to try and qualify for the Olympics again his running form of old started to come back, but never completely. The two styles from one runner look very different. Although I don't think his form ever got back to what it was. I'm not sure if more time training short and fast would have undone all the damage & learned form of IM training would have been able to be completely undone.

I believe this is due to an over emphasis on distance than form and speed in many long course athletes. Many have large improvements from shorter sessions and faster to build economy through better form.

How to overcome this.

Run VERY fast for short periods. EG 6-10 x 400 or 4x 800 or 4x1000 at 10kpace -5-10secs/km (maximum 4000m meters at pace). If this becomes too easy do it faster rather than add volume.
session should be no more than 45mins.
Long runs should only be made longer as you can hold good form.
strecth stretch stretch - Hammies, glutes and importantly hip flexors. This will help with good form allowing good stride length.

One thing that annoys me is the general/sweeping remarks single sporters make in regards to triathletes. many of them are not even A grade in their single sport. I remember sitting at the start to an A grade crit listening to this clown that raced C grade talking down about triathletes. He soon quietened downed when I pointed out I was one could drop him any day of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Allan wrote:
The original post said that the moron stated that he could tell the triathlete by his "stride" so M-dot tats, gps, 1 piece tri suits etc should not factor into the identification process ...

As someone who began competitive running at age 11 and ran varsity track and xc through university before becoming a triathlete 27 years ago (also a high school track/xc coach for 24 years), I will call BS and here is my 2 cents on this silly statement ....

Go to any 10k or marathon and look at the FOP runners vs. middle or BOP and you will see a huge difference in body types and stride lengths and techniques. However, you also see that among the FOP runners too. Look at Brownlee up on his toes vs any FOP guy in your local 10k ...... there are a lot of variations for fast running form. Look up a video of Gabrselassie and see a guy who runs like a machine but over pronates in a big way (the stride experts wouldn't like that but it sure worked well for him!). Last weekend I was watching a track meet streaming from Boston University and the variety of stride differences that I saw in 12 heats of the women's mile and 4 of the women's 3k was huge. These were all pretty fast ladies and I know that at least one of them is also a triathlete ..... I wonder if the guy who made the original statement could have identified her :) I have seen a lot of people at road races who are big and muscular and are not triathletes and they don't always have the smoothest form but run all the time. A guy who lives up the road from me and is his late 60s runs by my house regularly and has a very short, choppy stride .... has more to do with age and flexibility than whether he is a triathlete. My stride changes throughout the year due to footing in slippery winter days and how often I am hitting the track for quality speed sessions so maybe I would really confuse this observer.

One thing I've noticed with coaching swimmers who become track runners is that they tend to rotate their bodies too much when they run and carry their arms tucked up in front of them to facilitate this so maybe that is one sign ..... on a related note, a lot of runners turned triathlete-swimmers like me get told that we swim too "flat" and need to rotate much much more .... it is tough to change what comes naturally based on your athletic background!

OK, OK....which one of these guys is a real runner. No GPS no Mdot tat, no on the spot jogging at the crosswalk. The runner on the right appears to have the longest stride length and does not look like he's about to get a sunburn where his heart rate monitor strap is either

which one of these guys is a real runner

The third guy on the right?

From what i see the one on the right is not shaved down nor does he have a neon color scheme....but he is wearing Newtons, so I am having a lot of cognitive dissonance. I do know that all parties in this picture are running right around 2:40 marathon pace when this picture is taken. I need clarification from this thread if that counts as triathlete running speed or runner running speed.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

From what i see the one on the right is not shaved down nor does he have a neon color scheme....but he is wearing Newtons, so I am having a lot of cognitive dissonance. I do know that all parties in this picture are running right around 2:40 marathon pace when this picture is taken. I need clarification from this thread if that counts as triathlete running speed or runner running speed.

2:40...HA! Joggers.

Now maybe if they were running a 2:40 after a bunch of other exercise in the mid day heat...maybe then they would meet the justarunner runner standard! But when you're running with a gorilla in newtons and getting passed by a moped, you're clearly a triathlete, embarrassing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

2:40...HA! Joggers.

Now maybe if they were running a 2:40 after a bunch of other exercise in the mid day heat...maybe then they would meet the justarunner runner standard! But when you're running with a gorilla in newtons and getting passed by a moped, you're clearly a triathlete, embarrassing.

But we're holding these tourists up as the gold standard in our sport 28 years later. OK, I forgot about Lange....he ran 2:3x.....probably the only triathlete runner that passes the "just a runner" high bar. Maybe they give it to Rinny too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you do most of your easy runs too fast. You are fast, but could be faster.

-a runner
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
you do most of your easy runs too fast. You are fast, but could be faster.

-a runner

Not sure if you're talking about my runs specifically, but I'm notorious for logging my easy runs too slow. I average probably a solid 20s slower/mile than JDs charts put me at for easy runs. I try not to worry about it though, my easy pace has fallen about 25s/mile over the past 2-3 months. I used to run closer to 45s to slower per mile but I know it takes months and months and months of good volume and consistency to drive easy paces down.

Realistically the faster you are, the smaller the difference between your 5k pace and your easy pace. I currently should sit around 85s slower than my 5k pace for easy miles but find myself closer a full blown 110s.

If there's any run though where running slower is better, it's the easy run, that's why I don't worry that i'm slower/mile than my peers running equal times.

Last edited by: justarunner: Feb 1, 17 18:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO mid to high 6/mile for somebody who is running 1:12 HM is too fast for easy runs, especially with your high mileage. Have lots of buddies running faster than that who do 7:30+ for easy runs. I am a few minutes behind you in a HM and have no shame about 8 or even 8:30s for my easy if that's how I feel. JD is way too aggressive with his easy pace in my experience. You may be beating yourself into the ground. I'd recommend ditching the GPS, run on feel, and then you can go into your true workouts with much more juice.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PRs are garbage in every distance. I went 15:4x, 33:0x, 1:12:4x all last April.

Since April i've done nothing but log ridiculously consistent mileage and pile workout on workout on workout for months. I'm brutally itching to race as I haven't competed in so long. As it stands today...I'm much closer to 14:55-15:05, 31:10-31:30, and probably low 69 in the half. Thus my loitering around 6:40 for most easy runs is very natural.

E.g., today my first run was 8 @ 6:58 and that was nice and slow, no elevated heart rate, no sweat. By the time I doubled in the afternoon I was warmed up and ran 6:30 for 5 without even thinking about it. I knew it was going to be a quicker easy run because I checked my watch @ 1M and was already sub 7 on an uphill mile. After 1.8M on that loop it's all downhill so I just cruised.

But as a comparison of where I was at this time last year vs this year...last Jan I dropped 182M @ 7:05 pace en route to my current 3 PRs...this January I dropped 342M @ 6:42 pace. You can even look at my workouts and tell my easy pace isn't too hard because I'm still able to drop big workouts at great times that have exceeded what my coach has bench marked for me.

I've been really fortunate though to stay injury free for a long time. That's driven my easy pace way down.

But you know, at the end of the day, easy pace varies for everyone and when in doubt, slow down.

Edit: I should add that I'm very close to where my father was at his prime in the 5k (about 10-15s slower) and his easy pace back in the day was in the low 6's per his training logs. I run a lot like my father so I'm pretty sure i'm dialed in on that easy pace.

Last edited by: justarunner: Feb 1, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 10k time does not make alot of sense compared to your 1/2 time. It seems slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you about getting annoyed when you have to stop. When I approach an intersection with a light, I slow down well before the light and walk towards the intersection. Many times, the light will turn green as I approach the intersection. So, I rarely have to stop and stand around. I typically run the same route, so, I know the pattern of the lights like the back of my hand. When I do have to stop and wait for a light, I do some stretches to kill time.

As far as the one or two piece race kit, I wear mine when I run (a two piece because peeing is easier). I can't stand running in typical running shorts or shirts. I don't like the extra fabric of those things flapping in the wind when I'm running, so, the tri suits are perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:
Your 10k time does not make alot of sense compared to your 1/2 time. It seems slow.

My current time of 33:0x does not match my 1:12:4x. I ran the 33 in early March and then the half 4 weeks later or something. I was peaking for that half. And the 10k was at a track meet that saw hours and hours of delays, the gun went off for the 10000m @ 11:15 PM, it was not ideal at all. I was yawning hard at the start line. I was doing my cool down past midnight, and struggled to drive home.

Hopefully at UCLA this year I can get sucked into a fast race with some of those slower D1 kids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that makes sense. i expect you should be good for 31mins rested up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
RandMart wrote:
justarunner wrote:
Now I frolick around the track in very short shorts with other scantily clad gentlemen as we dual mono a mono versus a cruelly indifferent emotionless entity, the clock.

No "k" in frolic, and it's "duel"

Carry on

That feeling when you know how to spell mano a mano but can't spell duel/frolic...jesus, where did my english teachers get their degrees? Better yet where did I get my degree?

At least you managed to spell "mano a mano" the second time, you failed the first.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [Rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:

How to overcome this.

Run VERY fast for short periods. EG 6-10 x 400 or 4x 800 or 4x1000 at 10kpace -5-10secs/km (maximum 4000m meters at pace).

6x400m might be classed as fast, but the others are pushing the run VERY fast bit too far!
Strides are good for leg speed, i.e. 100-150m increasing up to a sprint, repeated 5-10 times with plenty of recovery.

Running 1k repeats below VO2max speed don't seem like VERY fast short period runs to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
RandMart wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
justarunner wrote:

I'm bringing you on board as my personal spellchecker. You're totally on top of it.

It's not just you; there is a LOT of bad spelling & grammar around here

I don't KNOW if people are just taking the fact that something isn't underlined/misspelled to mean it's the right word, or what?

Example Breath (n) vs Breathe (v)

"Take a deep breath" vs. "You have to breathe"

Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 2, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's not just you; there is a LOT of bad spelling & grammar around here

I don't if people are just taking the fact that something isn't underlined/misspelled to mean it's the right word, or what?"
========
I don't either.
Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting me know that I left a word out, AND that I brutalized the Quote function

Quote Reply
Re: "i can tell by his stride he is a triathlete" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
squid wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Allan wrote:
The original post said that the moron stated that he could tell the triathlete by his "stride" so M-dot tats, gps, 1 piece tri suits etc should not factor into the identification process ...

As someone who began competitive running at age 11 and ran varsity track and xc through university before becoming a triathlete 27 years ago (also a high school track/xc coach for 24 years), I will call BS and here is my 2 cents on this silly statement ....

Go to any 10k or marathon and look at the FOP runners vs. middle or BOP and you will see a huge difference in body types and stride lengths and techniques. However, you also see that among the FOP runners too. Look at Brownlee up on his toes vs any FOP guy in your local 10k ...... there are a lot of variations for fast running form. Look up a video of Gabrselassie and see a guy who runs like a machine but over pronates in a big way (the stride experts wouldn't like that but it sure worked well for him!). Last weekend I was watching a track meet streaming from Boston University and the variety of stride differences that I saw in 12 heats of the women's mile and 4 of the women's 3k was huge. These were all pretty fast ladies and I know that at least one of them is also a triathlete ..... I wonder if the guy who made the original statement could have identified her :) I have seen a lot of people at road races who are big and muscular and are not triathletes and they don't always have the smoothest form but run all the time. A guy who lives up the road from me and is his late 60s runs by my house regularly and has a very short, choppy stride .... has more to do with age and flexibility than whether he is a triathlete. My stride changes throughout the year due to footing in slippery winter days and how often I am hitting the track for quality speed sessions so maybe I would really confuse this observer.

One thing I've noticed with coaching swimmers who become track runners is that they tend to rotate their bodies too much when they run and carry their arms tucked up in front of them to facilitate this so maybe that is one sign ..... on a related note, a lot of runners turned triathlete-swimmers like me get told that we swim too "flat" and need to rotate much much more .... it is tough to change what comes naturally based on your athletic background!

OK, OK....which one of these guys is a real runner. No GPS no Mdot tat, no on the spot jogging at the crosswalk. The runner on the right appears to have the longest stride length and does not look like he's about to get a sunburn where his heart rate monitor strap is either

which one of these guys is a real runner

The third guy on the right?

I like the hairy guy's form- looks strong, nice stride length, good arm positioning. He appears to be passing Allen and Scott. Probably a real marathoner.
Quote Reply

Prev Next