Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"VIP Transition Area."
Quote | Reply
I received an e-mail selling a "VIP" package for a triathlon, which includes a "VIP transition area." What are your thoughts on that? I am *very* against something like that. One of the best things about triathlon is that as soon as you step into that transition area, you're all equal. Sure some equipment is more expensive than others, but it ultimately comes down to your internal engine, grit, passion, courage, endurance, and the will to finish. One of the coolest things is that you can race with pros, what other sport has that? But do we really need to be separated based on the ability to pay a higher fee?
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what it includes? If it at all gives you an advantage such as a shorter route through transition etc. then that is REALLY not ok in my book. If it's other niceties that don't afftect performance/time then I guess I wouldn't care. That said I wouldn't pay for it either.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that you get a reserved slot near the T1 exit vs. "festival seating" on race day. Many of the races here in NorCal have reserved racks for particular clubs (to encourage clubs to do that race), but I've never heard of VIP.

I agree that it kinda sucks, but I guess I can live with it as long as there is no race advantage (i.e. shorter runs through transition). Not the direction we should be taking the sport though....next is valet parking....then cut the line passes at the porta potties.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that would be against USAT rules or that it shouldn't matter because if it's a USAT race everyone is supposed to run the same distance w/ the bike (though I know this does not happen because at IMs they take your bike after you get off of it so that equalization is out)
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
I would think that would be against USAT rules or that it shouldn't matter because if it's a USAT race everyone is supposed to run the same distance w/ the bike (though I know this does not happen because at IMs they take your bike after you get off of it so that equalization is out)

sounds like a neat package.

I see nothing against the rules. Most USAT races do not set up transistion correctly anyways, so really who cares. As long as the bike race is in transition, everything is fine.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 wait, are you for rules or not? If they don't set it up right is that a reason to not care? You are so wishy washy on USAT rules. Aren't you a USAT official? Shame shame.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
wait, are you for rules or not? If they don't set it up right is that a reason to not care? You are so wishy washy on USAT rules. Aren't you a USAT official? Shame shame.

Just being honest. If I were to look at a race with my "negative" worst case hat on, most would fail. I have stood up for issues in the past, and found it was not much fun. So, I try to pick my battles now.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The comments make it look like there are races that don't have assigned rack spots?

It has literally been 8 years since I did a race that didn't have assigned racks.

So I don't see what a vip transition area would do.

On the other hand, here's what would for vip treatment, vip parking and a vip port a pot with no line. Those things combined would allow you to roll up about 30 minutes ahead of the race rather than 90 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how much I would pay for the VIP portajohn, but I would definitiely pay a little...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
The comments make it look like there are races that don't have assigned rack spots?

It has literally been 8 years since I did a race that didn't have assigned racks.

So I don't see what a vip transition area would do.

On the other hand, here's what would for vip treatment, vip parking and a vip port a pot with no line. Those things combined would allow you to roll up about 30 minutes ahead of the race rather than 90 minutes.

Man, what races do you do? Out of 10 races so far this year, only HITS and Wildflower had rack numbers. 99% of all races I do is first come first serve.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
I received an e-mail selling a "VIP" package for a triathlon, which includes a "VIP transition area." What are your thoughts on that? I am *very* against something like that. One of the best things about triathlon is that as soon as you step into that transition area, you're all equal. Sure some equipment is more expensive than others, but it ultimately comes down to your internal engine, grit, passion, courage, endurance, and the will to finish. One of the coolest things is that you can race with pros, what other sport has that? But do we really need to be separated based on the ability to pay a higher fee?

this is absolutely not true. Everytime in IM transition when I see a familiar, we don't say anything but we both know who the superior athlete is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
One of the best things about triathlon is that as soon as you step into that transition area, you're all equal.

Maybe I'm just a beginner, but every triathlon I've participated in has reserved racks near the exit area for the pros/elites as well as local triathlon clubs.

Just seems like they've got reserved spots for people wanting to buy into the "pro" level treatment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
But do we really need to be separated based on the ability to pay a higher fee?

I got to say, it's not often you see someone in the US that is to the left of Michael Moore. I am impressed!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better include wine, or beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Your races must be fancier than mine. Most of the races I've done are free for all racking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get an individually assigned young, nubile servant to gently pat dry and powder your scrotum after the swim leg (there was some talk of a boat but with the current it was deemed unnecessary.) On the bike you have a companion who runs (yes, runs) beside you giving polite words of encouragement and the occasional push as necessary. The run is completed by means of a rikshaw. Course provided gels are caviar. After all of that you get to be called an Ironman and revered forever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Man, what races do you do? Out of 10 races so far this year, only HITS and Wildflower had rack numbers. 99% of all races I do is first come first serve.

Columbia Triathlon Association, Piranha Sports and Setup Events races. Those are the local guys and they all have assigned rack spots.

I guess we can list that as a bonus for racing in the mid atlantic - usually assigned racks. Maybe not the mos awesome scenery, but we get assigned racks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy this in a heart beat especially if they had VIP porta-pottie passes (Make-A-Wish Foundation fundraisers get porta-potty passes but I don't like raising money for kids).

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are assigned racks really a bonus? If you're the slacker that rolls in 45 mins before the race you deserve a shitty spot. Whereas I get prime location by getting there early. I don't think rack assignments are necessary for small races. For big races, absolutely need them.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP Transition Area." [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a portajohn without shit on the seat/walls/floor/door? I probably don't want to know how, but I always wonder what sort of event precipitates getting shit on everything in the portajohn. What do those people's bathrooms at home look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Columbia Triathlon Association, Piranha Sports and Setup Events races. Those are the local guys and they all have assigned rack spots.

I guess we can list that as a bonus for racing in the mid atlantic - usually assigned racks. Maybe not the mos awesome scenery, but we get assigned racks.

When you signed assigned racks, I was assuming a spot per race number, which are the few I talked about. Many races have a rack for tri clubs, which may or may not be a "good" spot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
\

When you signed assigned racks, I was assuming a spot per race number.

That's exactly what I mean. It's been years and years since I have seen anything different. Just something they all do around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
\

When you signed assigned racks, I was assuming a spot per race number.

That's exactly what I mean. It's been years and years since I have seen anything different. Just something they all do around here.

Wow, that is great. Wish more races did it here since I could then sleep in and not try to get to races 2 hours before my swim start for a decent rack spot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd prefer a VIP bike course. Smoother and fewer hills than the main course.
Quote Reply