Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"I need...I need..." - something to ponder...
Quote | Reply
I was just reading the interview with Haile Gebrselassie and it made me ponder about how little is really needed to achieve athletic excellence. As triathletes, we tend to think we need all the latest equipment and toys.

Full interview here:

http://www.athens2004.com/...=1&rsc=AT0000000

Extract that caught my attention:

"I got injured six weeks ago while training at Ethiopia. We have there one of the worst tracks in the world. Every 50m there is a hole and you have to jump so you can avoid it".

How many age groupers would consider that "adequate" in North America for their own training sessions to accomplish a goal of breaking 40 minutes for 10k? And here, we are talking about a former WR holder and one of the all-time best runners today.

Quote | Reply
how about good genes, hard work, time, and commitment? emphasis on genes. I was a decent middle distance runner and distance swimmer in high school. Could I have been world class if I worked harder? NAAAAHHHHH!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "I need...I need..." - something to ponder... [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're an American citizen, you are entitled to:
A heated kidney shaped pool
A microwave oven -- don't watch the food cook
A Dyna-Gym -- I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home
A kingsize Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum
A foolproof plan and an airtight alibi
Real simulated Indian jewelry
A Gucci shoetree
A year's supply of antibiotics
A personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
And Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number
A beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick
Rosemary's baby
A dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams
A new Matador, a new mastadon
A Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego, a Mercury Montclair
A Mark IV, a meteor, a Mercedes, an MG
Or a Malibu, a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati
A Mac Truck, a Mazda, a new Monza or a moped
A Winnebago -- Hell, a herd of Winnebago's, we're giving 'em away
Or how about a McCulloch chain saw
A Las Vegas wedding, a Mexican divorce
A solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot
Or a baby's arm holding an apple.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"we tend to think we need all the latest equipment and toys. "

I think most of us realize that we don't really "need" this equipment/toys but we "want" it. There is a difference. Triathlon for 99% of us is a hobby and people love to spend money on their hobbies.

We shouldn't feel guilty about this. I friend of mine was quite a party animal in another life, but made a change for the better several years ago. He just bought a $3000. bike and told me that he used to spend more than that in the bars and would have nothing to show for it. There's worse things to blow your money on than tri gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I mowed a 400 meter oval in the field behing my house for training purposes. The field is fallow now, but used to get the typical rotation of wheat, soy, and corn. There are still a few furrows in it that I have to skip or jump over.

Its great to do 800 intervals on. I'd like to think it makes me tougher. Probably the pollen is triggering my asthma.

Why did I do this? I have two kids and my wife plays golf on the night I do intervals. I can take them to the track, or I can race them around the field. They're on their bikes, and I get to run.

The best time of year to train on it is late summer or early autumn, when the grasshoppers are jumping all over you. Its kind of freaky at first.

Boil this all down to what it takes to be world class and I think you will find just a few things count. First you must be focused and committed. Most importantly you should choose your parents well.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Re: "I need...I need..." - something to ponder... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and disagree Cerveloguy. Some people can discern between need and want but most think the reason why they are not running 15 seconds per km faster is because they have not yet PURCHASED the compression shorts on the market. I know, I was one of those people. But last week I pulled out a home movie from 1993 and noticed that I was a heck of a lot faster with inferior equipment. That made me reflect and think that perhaps the best path to success is to simplify rather than staying in the "must keep buying" North American brainwash trap. True - a great athlete will naturally perform better with better equipment, but I believe there is a huge distraction element in getting new equipment that prevents the mind from focusing solely on the body. As an example, I was a pretty competent competitive swimmer a decade ago and from that I came to the realization that swimmers are frickin' great athletes and I attribute that almost solely on that fact that there is miinimal distraction. It is just you and the water and it all comes down to physical conditioning and your knowledge of water dynamics.

My 3 cents.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, I mowed a 400 meter oval in the field behing my house for training purposes. The field is fallow now, but used to get the typical rotation of wheat, soy, and corn. There are still a few furrows in it that I have to skip or jump over.

Its great to do 800 intervals on. I'd like to think it makes me tougher. Probably the pollen is triggering my asthma.

Why did I do this? I have two kids and my wife plays golf on the night I do intervals. I can take them to the track, or I can race them around the field. They're on their bikes, and I get to run.

The best time of year to train on it is late summer or early autumn, when the grasshoppers are jumping all over you. Its kind of freaky at first.

Boil this all down to what it takes to be world class and I think you will find just a few things count. First you must be focused and committed. Most importantly you should choose your parents well.

Rocketboy Great post Rocketboy. Love those stories.

Quote | Reply
I see your point. It's mostly about the engine, but toys like wetsuits, aero frames, wheels, etc will make anyone a bit faster. I could have kept my old 12 sp and trained a lot harder and I'd likely be faster than I am now on my P2K/TCR. But that' the hard way of doing it!
Quote Reply
Re: "I need...I need..." - something to ponder... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spent so much time trying to get my stupid bike adjusted and various pieces of equipment sorted out over the last two weeks, that I've not trained enough for next weeks race. Consequently, I may sell the F1 today and purchase a $200 Oshmans bike along with a $1500 Computrainer. Then, I could ride every night. It seems that all of this purportedly "necessary" equipment is preventing me from achieving my goals. What is the point of my nice bike when I'm likely canceling my race next week because I'm not ready for lack of equipment issues. I'm so sick of shoes, seats, cleats, pedals, bars, tires, etc. Sick of all the time wasted on this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: "I need...I need..." - something to ponder... [Magicmirror] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is the secret that will make you faster than all the toys we could buy.
Go train everyday, instead of taking a day off go swim an easy 1500m. You must be consistent. Do 2-4 hard workouts per week. Don't be a pussy and make excuses for yourself. Do this for a year or so.
Show up at a race and whip your friends like they have never been whipped by you before.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if the toy makes you train more, so be it. I can't get myself off my new bike since I got it two weeks ago. my bum is getting numb and my legs are starting to get a little fried but I'm loving it. (I gotta force a rest day today - getting home last night was a little too painful)

I do agree, in terms of minimalism, that's what got me into running. Just slop the shoes on, out the door and run. No "going to the pool", no "bike preparations" etc. Just do it. :)
Quote Reply
Re: "I need...I need..." - something to ponder... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I don't get my picture of Randy Mantooth within 48 hours; things will get ugly around here.
Quote Reply