Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing)
Quote | Reply
I looked briefly and didn't find much, so I figured I throw this out there.

With running apparel there are lots of brands selling clothing that is more luxurious, higher quality, comfortable, etc. that is focused on comfort and style for training.

Same thing with cycling (I'm thinking in particular of the Rapha and Assos type brands).

To the best of my knowledge nothing like this really exists for swimming (training), so am I just not aware of the options or is the market just not there (number of swimmers and disposability of swimming suits)?
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [Focal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Focal wrote:
I looked briefly and didn't find much, so I figured I throw this out there.

With running apparel there are lots of brands selling clothing that is more luxurious, higher quality, comfortable, etc. that is focused on comfort and style for training.

Same thing with cycling (I'm thinking in particular of the Rapha and Assos type brands).

To the best of my knowledge nothing like this really exists for swimming (training), so am I just not aware of the options or is the market just not there (number of swimmers and disposability of swimming suits)?

Sure there is.

for graphics and style you've got (just off the top of my head)
Funky Trunks / Funkita
Splish
Arena
MP

even speedo, even though their designs are a bit boring. But Speedo Endurance+ fabric is ridiculously good for training. The fit of lycra with the durability of a polyester suit.

TYR makes quality stuff, but the designs are dull as hell....

for comfort - men's suits aren't really an issue. You just pick your size and leg length (hint, it should be a brief for style points). Women's suits are pickier, but they have about 2 billion back styles and cut options, plus 2 piece options. It's not like you really feel the fabric in the water, you aren't sitting on them or anything like that. It's just about finding a suit that fits.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 7, 19 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently bought some Arena Briefs, and I am very impressed with the quality. I have used Speedo, and most recently TYR. The Arena fabric feels softer and higher quality. They are made a little smaller than the TYR and Speedo stuff though, in my experience. I ordered some Cobra goggles from them too. Best goggles I've had in a while. Just FYI, it seems like their site is fairly high priced. I had no problem finding the items elsewhere for less.
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Arena fabric is softer and nicer feeling, but not as durable as Endurance+. The last couple of speedo suits I've had I swapped out because I got bored with them, not because they were falling apart. I can't say the same for my last pair of Arena's (I'm back with Arena now, because the patterns were more fun.)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwami fabric is also nice. In brief form they last a very long time and the designs are fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general, swim gear is seen as disposable (lasts <1yr), so there isn’t a real market for high end.

People who shell out for Oakley sunglasses, Assos bibshorts, or Rapha stuff plan on having it for years.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These just hit the market. 1yr warranty. Someone needs to buy and report back.

https://www.formswim.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The Arena fabric is softer and nicer feeling, but not as durable as Endurance+. The last couple of speedo suits I've had I swapped out because I got bored with them, not because they were falling apart. I can't say the same for my last pair of Arena's (I'm back with Arena now, because the patterns were more fun.)

I went 1,380,000 yds in my last Speedo Endurance. Stopped swimming in it b/c couldn't get it to stay up no matter how hard I tied the drawstring, and hence it was always sagging down on my butt. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in no way a swim equipment expert, but I was given a pair of hxcsport jammers as a gift. I almost don't want to wear them to the pool because they are so much nicer than my cheap suits and I don't want to wear them out. I spoke with one of the owners and they said they mostly do custom work for water polo teams. Their whole company reminds me of wattie ink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think because of the harsh environment of a pool, and the fact that a "real" swimmer may be in it for 4+ hours a day, the high end swimming gear is reserved for racing, and everything else is utilitarian. Of that gear, you can't beat Speedo Endurance+ and Vanquisher goggles, imo. Jolyn has become wildly popular among young women looking for a more stylish suit option.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kornpett wrote:
I think because of the harsh environment of a pool, and the fact that a "real" swimmer may be in it for 4+ hours a day, the high end swimming gear is reserved for racing, and everything else is utilitarian. Of that gear, you can't beat Speedo Endurance+ and Vanquisher goggles, imo. Jolyn has become wildly popular among young women looking for a more stylish suit option.

*cough*swedes*cough*

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said training, not racing, so I think you're excluding tech suits. As a dad of twin all-state high school girl swimmers, I had to learn of the existence of high-end tech suits for racing, which are several hundred dollars each, even for the boys' suits. And they only last a couple meets.

And they only use the tech suits for districts and states at the end of the year. In fact, there's a gentleman's agreement to not use them for in-season meets. There was a minor brouhaha a couple years ago when our rival school wore tech suits to try to win an in-season dual meet. The first couple years my girls borrowed used tech suits for the big meets, but last season we bit the bullet and bought new ones.

I'm very surprised there isn't a business that re-conditions tech suits.

For training, it doesn't really matter. You just need the suit to be functional and stay on. Same with goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: "High-End" Swim Gear (Training, Not Racing) [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
You said training, not racing, so I think you're excluding tech suits. As a dad of twin all-state high school girl swimmers, I had to learn of the existence of high-end tech suits for racing, which are several hundred dollars each, even for the boys' suits. And they only last a couple meets.

And they only use the tech suits for districts and states at the end of the year. In fact, there's a gentleman's agreement to not use them for in-season meets. There was a minor brouhaha a couple years ago when our rival school wore tech suits to try to win an in-season dual meet. The first couple years my girls borrowed used tech suits for the big meets, but last season we bit the bullet and bought new ones.

I'm very surprised there isn't a business that re-conditions tech suits.

For training, it doesn't really matter. You just need the suit to be functional and stay on. Same with goggles.

yeah, tech suits are ridiculously priced. but, they work.

Mine are wearing out, I can get them on in about 3 minutes. My plan is to buy 2 for this season, a mid-tier one for the in-season meets then a brand new higher end one for my 2 key events at Nationals. $300+ for 3 minutes of racing.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 8, 19 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input everyone. I used to swim much more regularly (for quite a few years), but haven't in almost a decade. As I've gotten older and had less difficulty justifying nice things for myself I wanted to see if there was any equivalent for the swimming world, but it sounds like aside from picking some fun colors or patterns it's just a case of finding a good fit and a reasonably durable material (for suits). The point of not really "feeling" the fabric in the water is true enough, and you're not worrying about premium pads like in a pair of cycling shorts. It had just been long enough I figured I'd see if there was anything substantially new since I last bought a suit.

Joe Hagan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Focal wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I used to swim much more regularly (for quite a few years), but haven't in almost a decade. As I've gotten older and had less difficulty justifying nice things for myself I wanted to see if there was any equivalent for the swimming world, but it sounds like aside from picking some fun colors or patterns it's just a case of finding a good fit and a reasonably durable material (for suits). The point of not really "feeling" the fabric in the water is true enough, and you're not worrying about premium pads like in a pair of cycling shorts. It had just been long enough I figured I'd see if there was anything substantially new since I last bought a suit.

Jammers came into vogue sometime in the late 80s or 90s but otherwise, men's briefs and women's training suits have not changed much over the past 40 yrs or so. Similarly, Swedes became the goggle of choice for many swimmers in the late 80s and are still going strong with only minor variations.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funky Trunks. The cut of the suit is what makes it comfortable and the choice of colours and styles is huge.

Just don't wear a swim mask or huge goggles. That never looks high end.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply