Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seattle ladies - running route suggestions
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

I'm going to be up in Seattle this weekend for a friend's birthday and want to get an 8 mile run in on Sunday. I'll be staying on the Magnolia/Ballard side of Queen Anne. I'm sure there are a few good routes in that area, so I'm hoping to hear about anyone's favorite routes. I have a car, so can go elsewhere, but would prefer a start point in that part of town.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle ladies - running route suggestions [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite run is around Green Lake and there is parking around the lake if you wanted to drive (sounds like maybe 10min at most drive from you?). If you just run around the lake (outer loop) it's around 4 miles so you could either do two loops or tack on a run through the neighborhood. If you choose to do the later I would recommend going up into the neighborhood around Keystone Street as it's the best neighborhood for running (in my opinion) and cars are always looking out for runners. If you do head this way you could always stop by my house and say hello! :)

Otherwise, when my husband lived downtown we used to run along the waterfront (hit or miss depending on how many tourists are around) and into the Olympic Sculpture Park.

Alternatively, if you're over near Ballard you could jump on the Burt Gilman trail and run up towards the university or over towards Golden Gardens. The folks at Speedy Reedy - great local traithlon store that is located on the Burt Gilman trail near Fremont/Wallingford would also be able to give you some great recommendations.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelle!! i can't believe you're coming to seattle this weekend. ironically we're going to portland for a new niece! it would have been great to get in a run with you. here's a couple of options though:

http://www.nwsource.com/...s/discoverypark.html - since you'll already be in magnolia i would suggest heading to discovery park. it's gorgeous and has great groomed trails. somebody can correct me if i'm wrong but i think the main loop is just under 3 miles so you can do it a couple of times and add a bit to total 8 miles. here's another link and there's a link within to the actual trail map http://lowleenet.vox.com/...k-running-trail.html. it really is pretty and you can't get lost.

http://www.run.com/...route.asp?map=131045 this is magnolia to greenlake and back. this is actually pretty good but i would do an out and back for your 8 miles. that way you can also avoid returning on 15th ave nw which has alot of traffic, lights and isn't very scenic.

http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=312 this is along the waterfront and depending on where you start in magnolia you could get it up to 8 miles. looking at the map magnolia is in the upper left corner.

have a great time at the wedding. the weather's been pretty iffy this week so hopefully you'll see some sun at some point.

hallie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Michelle,
I live in Magnolia. Discovery Park is a great place to run. The loop trail is 2.8 miles but there are several good trails to run on in the park but the miles are not marked on those trails.
There is also the Magnolia Loop which is 6 miles long. It is basically a loop around the neighborhood of Magnolia and part of it goes right along the waterfront. You might be able to run from where you are staying and do the loop for a total of 8 miles.
You can also run from W. Gov.t Way (which is in Magnolia) toward Mertyle Edwards Park and downtown. I live off Gov't Way and it is a 4 mile out and back from my house. It's very scenic with the water and downtown, except the part that goes through the rail yard but that's interesting to look at.
There is also a trail, I believe it is part of the Burke-Gilman trail, that goes right along the waterfront to Golden Gardens Park. It is on the Ballard side of the Hiram Chittham (sp?) Locks. You can run from Magnolia over the Locks to the trail. It is very scenic mostly waterfront.
Hope this helps.
Lucy
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle ladies - running route suggestions [halliet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to run with Michelle this weekend since I'm visiting Portland, and now you're not in Seattle but here too!

Michelle, run down along the water south of Magnolia, there is a great path through the sculpture part.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle ladies - running route suggestions [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow - apparently the st gals are all over the nw region this weekend!
what are you doing in portland? i hope you're having a great time!! we're actually in mcminnville and hoping to make it to some wineries this afternoon - yay! i looked up alexandria nicole cellars and i'm thinking a trip to prosser this fall is necessary.

hallie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm visiting friends and their new-ish baby. I'm also looking for some stuff for my house...

Definately let me know if you come to Prosser!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, Ladies! I brought my bike with me and did an awesome ride on the Burke Gilman today and am looking forward to running tomorrow.

Erin, I hope you're enjoying Portland even without me! ;-D

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed! It's been fun so far. My friend and shopped a bit, got pedicures then Lebanese take out at Ya Hala. Yum!

I wish you were here to motivate me to run though.
Quote Reply