Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having raced the Keauhou Kona Triathlon twice, I can tell you that I would love Joe Ackles to start an alternative ironman in Kona. I made the trip from Miami to do this race twice and I can confirm that he ran a first class race. A summertime race would be ideal. A May time frame does not work because of the WTC half in Honu. I would bill it as an ironman without all the hoopla but the same course. He's got the local connections and the expertise (Joe and Sharron).
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Every year I've been there, they make that announcement, and say you'll be DQ'd if there.......probably just to scare away the racers... Isn't there a guard shack there?[/reply]

That's no driving or riding a bike down the road. In year's past, you could park on the Queen K and then run down.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"No. The energy lab is even closed until race day to competitors. "
----------------------------------

That has not been my experience. I have always been able to run down that road midweek.

Haim

Last year was closed until race day.

If I am not incorrect , any athlete caught training in there would have had there sloot taken away.

Something along these lines was stated at pre race briefing , I was in a daze sorry.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Cathy wrote, they have a prohibition against bikes on the Energy Lab road the week before the race, but running is allowed. I also think you can drive your car down the road. I know I've seen athletes park their cars at the beach and run from there.
Last edited by: gordorefugee: Sep 29, 06 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Every year I've been there, they make that announcement, and say you'll be DQ'd if there.......probably just to scare away the racers... Isn't there a guard shack there?

From the IronStuff Newsletter I received last week:

Don't risk disqualification... NELHA Road (Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority) is a private road and not open to bicycle or vehicle traffic prior to race day. It is mandatory that runners run single file on the right side of the road. Cyclists and vehicle traffic are required to stay off the NELHA Road. No team training is allowed. Any athlete failing to comply with this request may be subject to disqualification.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year wasnt close.......YOU CANT DRIVE OR RIDE A BIKE....but you are welcome to run anytimes....

i was running there mid week also....with 100s of other competitors....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There used to be an iron-distance race on Maui. I have seen a couple of race reports for it, and the race website is still up the last time I looked. The bike course went around the west Maui mountains and half way up Haleakala - beautiful! I don't know why it does not run any longer. I emailed the address on the website a few years ago and received a reply that they were looking for sponsorship to run the race again.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I wonder if my wife would go for it. We did our honeymoon there and it's just an amazing place. Thinking of going back for the 10th anniversery. Wonder if she'd mind me being gone for a day.[/reply]

Hello? If your married for 10 years your wife is probably excited for you to go away for a day. ;-)

Axel
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sub.10.im [ In reply to ]
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [sub.10.im] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also excellent Mexican food at a little hole in the wall place just across the street for the ice cream shop in Hawi. good black bean burritos--not that I would recommend that for a lunch at the mid-way point on a 112mile bike though :-)

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"good black bean burritos--not that I would recommend that for a lunch at the mid-way point on a 112mile bike though :-)"

Faris would do it! ;)

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [gordorefugee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunch at Lulu's would be a nice way to spend two hours, the fried calamari is the best I had ever...
Quote Reply
Re: Another IM in Hawaii? [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunch at Lulu's would be a nice way to spend two hours, the fried calamari is the best I had ever...

Obviously you've never been to Scott's in CA (but that's a bit more pricey than LuLu's.

I can't believe anyone would suggest Hilo for an IM. Beside the rain/constant steam bath you have rougher water in general and just where would the bike course be? BTW Kona has the same gov't as Hilo. It is 1 county with 1 mayor (although it shouldn't be and given the opportunity Kona would love to keep their tax $$ and tourist incomes on the leeward side of the island instead of having them used for Hilo improvements).

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I will do my best to greet you and offer up my best imitatation of Mike when you cross the line."

I would be honoured and grateful if you would do this.

Do I know you? Sounds like do, but I am not making the connection.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, Sorry. My brain is a bit disengaged.

Best wishes with the final training for IMH. Hope the taper goes well. Then kick some %&* in Kona!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey--are you staying at the Islander again? No bike with me this year so I don't do another face plant in front of you. ;-)

Happy final training.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be swimming too. And probably running daily since HK50 is fast approaching. The Walmart bike idea is a good one!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply

Prev Next