Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can one bonk from lack of fitness?
Quote | Reply
I am a pretty slow biker, averaging around 17-18mph over 75 miles. But when I get to 75-80 miles, my speed starts to drop off to considerably to around 10-13mph. It will be like that all the to the end of my ride whether it's 80 miles or 90 miles or whatever.

I'm trying to pin point the problem, and wondering if lack of fitness can cause a bonk? Or for sure, it's nutrition related.
Quote Reply
Re: Can one bonk from lack of fitness? [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I did the conversion right, 17-18mph translates to 29ish kmh which in turn translates to a 6ish hour ironman or a 3ish hour HIM bike split. Is that what qualifies as a slow biker these days?

As to the other question, is it possible you're taking in only enough food to slow the glycogen loss rather than overcome it? Maybe you should look at what you have been eating over the last few rides and do a quick calories in/calories out conversion to see what the numbers say.
Quote Reply
Re: Can one bonk from lack of fitness? [wanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, compared to most people that post their times, it seems slow. Maybe it's average I guess.

Based on your suggestion, I'm assuming you think it's probably nuitrition related more than fitness. I've never done an IM distance so I'm training for one in Nov so this is all new to me. I will pull out the wrappers and drink containers to see what the calories are. I'm only eating 3 power bars and drinking gatorade (no water) so maybe that's not enough calories.
Last edited by: auto208562: Sep 23, 06 19:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember 2 things: there are MANY fast guys (and gals) on here. And, some of the times posted are likely B.S. as well.

Bonking officially refers to depleting your carbohydrate stores (i.e. glycogen), so it can't be "fitness". Obviously the more "fit" or trained you are, the longer or harder it may be to "bonk", but it is the same none the less. I'd work on the min 300 cal/hour if possible and avoid too much protein as that can slow down digestion taken with carbs. Save the protein for after or for very long events (basically to not feel hungry).

Re: Can one bonk from lack of fitness? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I was way off with my calories. Looked at the wrapper of a power bar and it says only 230 calories and the regular gatorade is 50. So, based on the total time today for a little over 90 miles, I was only taking about 150 calories per hour.

And thanks for the heads up on the protein tip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try biking at a slower pace (25-26kph), drinking a bottle of gatorade every 1/2 to 3/4 an hour, and then pick up the pace later, to your faster pace. Or bike at your normal pace for a couple of hours, then back off so your body can more efficiently process your nutrition, for half an hour or more and then pick it up again later. But sometimes you can just get tired, until you get used to a lot of training (and even then!)
Idon't really agree about backing off from protein - I have read that, especially for a long bike, protein (about 7% compared to carbs) helps the muscles absorb glycogen, and a long bike is long enough that you can even do some 'recovery' before you finish exercising. Personally I've gone with a powerbar, or a mars bar or something after a couple of hours. For a bike of more than 4 hours you might want to eat even more substantially. Just my view, not a coach. j

"I'm going to stick to my sardines" - Cassidy
"Others took their lemons and stood up and walked." - Kestrelkerri
"I will never know quite why I set out on the run. I guess because it was next." - Nachocheese
"No, just to people on the Forum. My athletes are the control group." - Paulo Sousa
" Actually, I am naturally an Asshole....not unlike the way you are naturally an idiot." IRONLOBO
Quote Reply