Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

D/A 10 spd replacement time?
Quote | Reply
I have accumulated 8,000+ miles on a Dura Ace 10 spd drive train. I have also gone through 3 chains as well. The bike still shifts well and doesn't skip in the gears, or have any other problems with shifting. However, some of the teeth are getting very pointy looking.

Is 8,000 miles a reasonable amount of mileage for a set of chain rings and cassette? Should I junk all of the old components, or is it reasonable to keep cogs that look to be in pretty good shape, like the practically unused 12 and 13? ;-)

Uncharted territory for me.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 10 spd replacement time? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on how much you live in certain gears, but I'd say with that mileage, just swap the whole thing. And for the cassette, I'd personally go with Ultegra. I don't remember the specifics, but I weighed the two @ my bike shot not too long ago, and the weight difference was soooo insanely tiny, but the price difference wasn't :-)

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the cogs you can get this:

Rohloff HG/IG Check Cog Wear Indicator

You can also get individual cogs to replace the really worn out ones, but shifting may be an issue given the wear patterns, etc. I have not tried this and would be interested in other thoughts.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran into the same promblem with my 10 spd dura ace, only a lot less miles. Two things, Coker is right the weight differance between the two is a couple grams. The other thing you can buy parts for the dura ace, it comes in sections, as each section can be bought separtly. But on the other hand a new Simano was like 70 bucks..
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 10 spd replacement time? [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

mcoker, yo're right, the Ultegra is only 30 grams heavier (about an ounce) but over $100 cheaper at Performancebike.com. I figure on pulling the trigger today as PerformanceBike has a 2 day 15% off everything sale that expires today.

AS far as individual cogs on the Dura Ace vs Ultegra, I frequently shift the cassette between training wheels and race wheels. Fewer parts means it'll just go faster, i.e. one minute instead of two.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply