Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures
Quote | Reply
I survived Cycle Oregon! A week of riding (about 400 miles) and camping in rural North Eastern Oregon. It maybe wasn't the best thing to be doing 2 weeks post IMC, but I signed up for the ride early in the spring and IMC was kind of a last minute surprise in the schedule. CO is a fully supported week long riding and camping adventure topping out at 2000 participants. They haul your gear from point A to B everyday and feed, entertain and will sag you in if needed. It's an incredibly well organized event considering how big it is. This is the third time I've done the ride and I think by far this was the most challenging course. I heard the average age for the riders was 51, which seemed about right. There were all types of bikes:custom ti, mountain bikes, recumbants, tandems, really old road bikes (I saw a Panasonic) to a guy on an Electra Townie. I met riders from Japan, Italy and Germany and all over the US. We covered 49 miles on the shortest day and 89 on the longest. One optional rest day was in the schedule and I was happy to have it! There was lots of climbing the first 4 days which pretty much kicked my butt. Day six was cold and rainy, but the scenery was amazing. Although it ended up being the longest ride, it was the most enjoyable. Here are a few pictures. I highly recommend CO if you are looking for a fun cycling adventure in the beautiful Pacific NW.

Day one: Umatilla to Heppner 69 miles, 3300 ft of elevation gain.

Hookers in Stanfield....

Rest stop in Lena. Check out the populations.

The best part of every day!

Beats mowing. He was tied to a tree in their front yard.

Day two: Heppner to Starkey 81 miles, 5900 feet of elevation gain. Climbing out of Heppner.

Lunch in Ukiah. The people really put together some funny stuff.

Day Three: Starkey to Sumpter. 53 miles 4452 Elevation gain. View from our tent.

Tent City.

Day four: Sumpter to Union 78 miles 5500 feet of elevation gain. This day killed me. I needed to be in Union by 3 for a massage and made it with 15 minutes to spare. I was not a happy camper...

Philip chillin at our home in Union.

Someone's inspiration. This put a big smile on my previously crabby face.

Day 5. Rest day in Union. Hobbit House.

Nice flowers.

Union guard dog. He was so cute and funny.

Me freezing my butt off in our tent. It got cold at night.

Day Six: Union to Athena. 3100 feet of elevation gain and 89 miles. They had to change the route for this day as it had snowed in the pass we were to originally go over. It was cold and rainy in the morning bringing out lots of plastic bag makeshift rain gear. For anyone familiar with the Pendleton OR area; we rode over and down the old Cabbage Hill highway. It was fantistic!

A very fun switchback filled climb. It was easier than it looks.

Isn't he cute!!!

Day 7; Athena to Umatilla 49 miles, 1332 feet of elevation gain. This was supposed to be the easy day, but we had a crazy head wind with big gusts in the morning that made it really tiring. I was so happy to see the Columbia River and be done! the best part was this year's ride started and finished about 25 minutes from my house, just across the river in Eastern WA. I felt sorry for the people with long drives home.

Hat Rock park.

Roadside treasures. I could have used this on day 4!

Ann, my lovely assistant:

We made it!!! Random bikes and pictures: For the Cervelo fans: This lady's faring almost makes me want a recumbant... just kidding! I complimented her on it and she told me she had done it herself with spray paint and tape in about 20 minutes!! Tandem with couplers for the couple on the go! From the Japanese representatives. They taught me how to say "on you left" in Japanese ;-) Riders could put little plate on the back with names and hometowns. Kind of nice to see where people were from.
Last edited by: QRgirl: Sep 18, 06 20:20
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice sleeping bag! is that a western mountaineering?

Great pics!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the photos and sharing! Looks amazing! Glyn and I will have to look into this ride. Actually never heard of it before. They had the Amgen Coast Classic going on this week in Cali, but Cycle Oregon looks awesome! Plus, I have never ridden in that area.

Love the photo of you in the sleeping bag. Is that hat from Erika?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom is into backpacking so I borrowed her bag. I believe it's Mountain Hardwear.

The hat is Sugoi, it has pictures of sushi on it, I couldn't pass it up! They have a sushi jersey too. I need to put it on my Christmas list.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Sep 18, 06 21:33
Quote | Reply
It looks like a lot of fun. Slowing down and seeing the sights is always fun. very cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Erin, thanks for the pics - it looks like an awesome event! I like Phil's "other" shirt better though... ;-p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow...that looks like an amazing event. i'm putting it on my list of things i want to do.

great report & pics - thanks!

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on Cycle Oregon as well. It was my 19th year, one of the 14 who have done all of them. The route changes every year. I too had just done my 6th IMC two weeks prior. So I've done the two back to back 6x with another 5x (in different years excepty for 1995) going on to IMH. Makes for nice final IMH bike push. There were at least 4 others I know of on the ride that had just done IMC. I have alwasy used my steep angle bike with aerobars & bar end shifters with training wheels. Though I did see a guy who used a pair of Zipp Clinchers. The country roads can be full of chip seal.

Thanks for the great pictures especially the great downhill shots on the 2nd to last day. I was to cool to stop.

Barb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awwww!!! The bulldog is suuuuper cute!!

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an amazing trip. Thanks for posting.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics Erin. How often do you encounter inclement weather? WeaselGrl and I have discussed doing something like this but she openly questions my ability to "camp" for a week (she's called me a metro on more than one occassion). Anyway, is it normal to get rained on? Also, is food included or do you have to bring your own. 400 miles in a week would definitely be more than I've ever done albeit probably at a lower intensity.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report and the pictures; it makes me long to visit. As you know, my folks live outside of Pendleton and I've run along some of those great scenic byways.

"Anyone familiar with Pendleton . . . ." That's kind of funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pics, Erin! Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All three meals are included in the ride as well as plentifuly stocked break stations on the route. In the evening there is a beer garden, Ben & Jerry's truck and a pizza place set up that are buy on your own. This year's weather was great; we only got rained on one day and it was only for about an hour. No or very little rain at night. It does get really chilly though. The past two times I've done the ride, we had a lot more rain during the day and at night, but it was still fun. There is an option to book rooms at the little motels or B&B's in the towns we stay in. I think they may fill up quickly! You can also bring a rider guest i.e. some one in an RV or camper that drives from site to site instead of riding. They are typically routed via different roads so that they aren't on the same route as the riders. CO really tries to keep the ride on roads with little to no traffic. It's great. There are also portable shower trucks each night, so you get a hot shower after your ride. And... there is a big group of massage therapists that set up in camp each day so you can get your kinks worked out. ($70 an hour and so worth it!)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of you as I typed it! The old cabbage hill highway was fantiastic to climb and descend. No traffic, great road surface and big winding switchbacks. If you were a little shorter you could borrow one of my bikes when you visit next... too bad tall girl ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this! I was reading about this over the summer while spending a two week vacation in the Gorge. It sounds pretty cool. You are very lucky to live is such a beautiful part of the country.

Where is Kenniwick anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pics, looks like you had fun (of course)! I bet your butt is so tired of riding. You're not still planning on Black Diamond are you? We're going but Bill's racing and I'm not.

Hey AmyCO, next time your in Oregon we'll have to hook up. I roll through Erin's neighborhood on the way to my parent's house for the holidays so maybe we can all meet up sometime.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kennewick- state of Washington in the SE corner. Dry with less than 10 inches of rain/ year. Near the Hanford nuclear reservation (which is a mess). Good area to ride bikes with lots of open sparsely traveled roads. Home of "Kennewick Man" and QRgirl, (Kennewick Woman)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have not ventured that far east yet. I had a great time riding the Old Columbia Gorge Highway from Hood River to The Dalles (via the Mosier Tunnel). The mid Columbia River area is really amazing. If you are into geology you would be in heaven.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Oregon Ride Report w/pictures [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely.
Quote Reply