Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]So everything you do, career, personal, athletics, you never talk about or feel proud about? Just keep it all in and never let anyone know what you are doing or what you have done?

I am not saying that a sticker or tatoo is cool, but who really cares. . .and who are you to judge?[/reply]

It really depends on an individual's personality. The extreme extrovert wants to share every personal experience with everybody. The extreme introvert is the total opposite. Most people are somewhere in between, They generally like to share their experiences their friends or acquantances. Many people consider bumpers stickers to be in poor taste, regardless of the content.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the finisher t-shirt? Is that less lame than a finisher bumper sticker? I would prefer a "normal" race t-shirt from IM events as opposed to the ones we get with FINISHER in large bold print.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and who are you to judge?

Aren't you judging him, for judging?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am embarrassed to be lumped into the same "catchall" as most of the posters, re.. posers who have commented on this thread.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other day I wore an Ironman cap to the store and the checkout girl said " Cool cap ! How much can you bench ? "

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's funny what the "general public" thinks of Ironman. When someone I know finds out I'm doing an IM (Florida) they ask me if I'm doing the one in Hawaii. I explain that you have to qualify for that and that I'm not even in the ballpark, they seem puzzled.
I also love when someone says oh, when are you going to do a "real" triathlon? after they have found out i have never done an IM...and then follows up with i wouldn't waste my time on anything other than a "real" triathlon and i don't know why anyone would do anything other than an IM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< How much can you bench ? >>

And of course the correct response would have been:

"well, I can't bench my way out of a wet paper bag, BUT - I can swim, bike, or run away for a very long time!" ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikey-

I freakin lost my swim mojo.....

Are you going up to SOS to spectate ?

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now I am judging you for judging me on judging him and then you will judge me on juding you for judging me on judging him. . .. and the saga continues. . .

No, I wasn't judging him, in fact the thought of judging him never crossed my mind, I was just asking a question. . .I can't judge without a response.

I just typed judging/judge 11 times.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never had a swim mojo to lose. Not sure which is worse.

Probably won't be spectating at SOS, since I've got my own 5+hrs of fun lined up for the weekend.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit to posing ... I have a 140.3 sticker and some other Tri-related crap plastered on the back window of my rusting 1993 Dodge truck. It's not my daily driver, but it's sufficiently tacky even for weekend use. So, guilty as charged.

What really amuses me are the self-promoting AGers with the Tri websites -- I'm not talking about MySpace or the casual blogs ... I'm talking about full blown expensive websites. I stumbled on one recently -- this guy has an elaborate site with pics of himself, all of his race reports, a weekly training blog, etc. Throughout the site, he refers to himself in the third person. It's the epitomy of "Posing". According to his bio, he quit his job 3 years ago, trains/races full-time, and has these Walter Mitty-ish dreams about becoming an elite pro and racing Kona. The dude is his in early 30s and his best IM time is 11hrs. C'mon, get real. But in his defense, I guess I guy can dream ....

Bike Sherpa
Fully Assembled Bike Transporters
http://www.bikesherpa.com

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [GoFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, you really should go for the full 140.6. It's only 0.3 further!

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoFast, I wasn't referring to you but the poser Slowtwitchers who pass judgement on their own kind. Imagine spending so much time worrying about being a poser, you inevitably become one simply for the time invested.

Who GIVES A FUCK what anyone else does or puts on their cars or on their bodies or wears on their shirts, heads, shoes? How dare they pass judgement on their own kind, or any kind, it is simply shameful and I'm embarrassed to know them.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I have a 140.3 sticker >>

Damn, it musta been heartbreaking to hafta stop 0.3 of a mile before the finish line, huh? They make specialized stickers now to denote how far you got before DNFing?

;-)

My brother was incredibly proud of my finishing an IM (as were my parents and other family members, my wife and daughter, etc etc etc - all of them moreso than myself, actually), so he ordered me up some M.dot "euro" (those white oval ones) bumper stickers, and gave them to me as a gift. He was very psyched for me.

I don't know what to do with them. I won't put 'em on the car. That finishers sticker is laying around somewhere in my garage, not sure where exactly.

I've also never worn my finishers shirt or medal other than the thru the day after I finished said race. More stuff I don't know what to do with.

Ditto the nice headsweats finisher hat. I wore that a handful of times to run, but now I just use other ones I own, so that's another thing I'm not quite sure about going forward.

So, my point is, IF you choose to show your pride in your accomplishment to the world, that's great. Personal choice and all that good stuff.

I just never got the whole thing myself. I'm the same person whether the world knows I finished an IM or not.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Sep 7, 06 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's worse, the guy or girl who is touting their own accomplishments or the losers who walk around on Sundays wearing their favorite football team's jersey? You know the types. The ones that have never played a down of organized football in their lives or played in high school 25 years ago and are now fat and out of shape and still reliving their glory days. I'll take the athlete who actually did something any day.

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [IronWannaBe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]What's worse, the guy or girl who is touting their own accomplishments or the losers who walk around on Sundays wearing their favorite football team's jersey? You know the types. The ones that have never played a down of organized football in their lives or played in high school 25 years ago and are now fat and out of shape and still reliving their glory days. I'll take the athlete who actually did something any day.[/reply]

Out of curiosity do you also have a problem with a person wearing a baseball hat of their favorite baseball team if they are fat or never played baseball? How about someone who has a political shirt or sticker that has never participated in politics other then voting? Isn't that simply supporting your cadidate or party? Isn't that the same as supporting your team?

Back to the original topic...who cares if someone is proud enough of their acomplishment to have a shirt or sticker? We all have different ways of being proud and people sound like an ass ripping someone for the way they act on their pride.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Last edited by: House: Sep 7, 06 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm okay with baseball caps. Out of curiosity, are you still reliving your glory days?

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and who are you to judge?

That statement seemed to be made as a negative, like judging is bad. I'm ok with judging. I understand we all do daily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm okay with baseball caps. Out of curiosity, are you still reliving your glory days?[/reply]

1) So you are the guy who picks and chooses what fans are allowed to wear to support their teams?

2) Perhaps your comment would make sense if we were talking about me wearing jerseys that I wore as a player in college or high school or before that, but supporting your team is not anything near "reliving your glory days."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are my rules of finisher gear etiquette:

1. Only wear finisher t-shirts when you are at a race venue--this can be in the few days before your race.

2. Never wear the finisher t-shirt and hat from the same race at the same time--mixing and matching hats and shirts is OK.

3. Wearing finisher hats is OK for training runs.

4. Never buy finisher logo gear of any kind--one shirt is enough.

5. Only put finisher stickers on your bike box, never your car--license plate holders that don't say finisher are OK if they came in the swag bag--never buy one.

6. Finally, never wear your finishers medal to the friggin airport!!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize you're playing semantics, right? I'll see you Sunday morning in the grocery store. You'll be easy to pick out in your "uniform."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]You realize you're playing semantics, right? I'll see you Sunday morning in the grocery store. You'll be easy to pick out in your "uniform."[/reply]

The exact type of response I expected after your previous posts. LOL

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's all good. I can be a dumb-ass and a poser at the same time. how in the hell did I manage to type "140.3" ... need more coffee this morning. I actually did manage the add'l 0.3 .... i think that was the only portion of the run that was sub 10 min/miles.

Bike Sherpa
Fully Assembled Bike Transporters
http://www.bikesherpa.com

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would an Epicman finisher sticker on my car be posing. Of course I'd need to finish one first.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bumper Sticker-What a loser! [gordorefugee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What about the finisher t-shirt? Is that less lame than a finisher bumper sticker? I would prefer a "normal" race t-shirt from IM events as opposed to the ones we get with FINISHER in large bold print.

Although I would personally chose not to wear my finisher shirt very often at least you don't have to go out of your way to get it, it is given to you. Plus a shirt serves a purpose, bumper stickers (in general) are pretty pointless. And I'm not sure what's more silly, finisher's gear itself or the fact that anyone can walk into the expo Monday morning and buy it.

I agree with you, given the choice I would prefer a 'normal' shirt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next