Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend training for non-bicyclist’s first IM
Quote | Reply
Hopefully some of you veteran’s can help me get off to a good start with maybe a link and/or some tips to get me started. Perhaps a book suggestion.

A little about me---first (perhaps this first bit will make a few eyes roll) not only will this be my first IM, it will be my first Tri of any kind (not counting the Kid’s Tri’s I did when I was 8) and not only that I’m one of the dudes that sold out LP in 90 minutes. Okay, glad we got that out of the way.

A little more---I was a college swimmer with a 1:56 200 IM and a :54 100 back so I know how to train hard in the pool. Whether this will mean anything for IM as I don’t have too much open water distance swims and I’ve only kept my swimming chops up since college with a handful of pool workouts a year now at age 29, I don’t know.

I’ve been in running mode for the past 7 years or so with a 3:07 marathon and consistently still train without pain.

Here’s where I’ll need the most help with a little less than a year out---I’ve never really done any road biking of any kind. I’ve done some mountain biking but only very recreationally and really only trying to learn how to get technical. I’ve recently purchased what is at least a third-hand Giant TCR 2 from Craigslist.

All this being said, my goal is not just to finish but to finish fairly close to as fast as I can while keeping my barings that as it’s my first IM things could go wrong. If that makes sense.

So, can anyone recommend a good program for someone in my position? Any pointers on getting started with bike training? I’ve spent the last month getting acquainted/reacquainted with the various disciplines but for someone like me how far out should I start a dedicated program?

I can afford more gear but only what’s necessary. I’m assuming I’ll need a bike trainer for some winter rides but is there anything else that anyone feel would really benefit someone like me? Maybe one of those pulse doo-hickeys?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend training for non-bicyclist’s first IM [Rufer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend reading a book on training for an Ironman, such as Going Long. They talk about adjusting your training if you have strengths in certain disciplines (which you obviously have the swim and the run). If you can afford it, get a computrainer, it's much better than your average trainer.

Basically, you need to put in a lot of miles, it seems like you should have the aerobic base, so work on just getting the leg muscles up to speed. You're going to need to build up your endurance, so lots of miles, but not intense miles, very aerobic training (unlike swim training). A heart rate monitor would be quite beneficial for you as well. I would recommend getting in a few tris next year before LP to get you familiar again with triathlon racing, and at least one half-ironman. You will also want to spend considerable time on nutrition. It's harder than it seems and it's crucial for an ironman. You can get through a marathon pretty easy with just a few gels, not the case for the IM.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend training for non-bicyclist’s first IM [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the tips. I just ordered Going Long from Amazon--looks like it's what I need. And yeah, I did forget to ask about nutrition which this far out might be my biggest worry. I'm assuming I'll get to that in the book.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding nutrition, check out the running and cycling nutrition calculators on this site, I'm using them as guidance for my IM nutrition plan. This will give you an idea of what you have to build up toward. I can do 300 calories an hour easy in training, 400 gets harder, 500 is about impossible for me. Don't worry if you're not close to your target level at first, just work on getting there, you have lots of time.

http://www.infinitnutrition.com/...31333E8FEDE02CC1969A

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride your bike A LOT ;-)

Seriously, you may want to talk to a Tri coach that specializes in Longer distance stuff. You're a very experienced athlete so you may not want or need a full time coach; although I'm sure one would be helpful. At a minimum some consultation in helping you structure your basic training would likely be a big help.

Also, I'd try to schedule a couple shorter events leading up to your big race. Not only are they good training, but you will save a lot of time just being comfortable with the logistics and flow of a real race (although nothing is quite like an IM). There are always a lot of little kinks to work out and I guarantee that you don't want the IM to be your first triathlon if you can help it.

Best of luck, based on your background you'll probably be one of those guys that goes 10 hours in their first event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rufer,

I'd be happy to chat with you offline. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

At the most basic, do the following:

1. Buy a few books to learn about Triathlon Training (Going Long and Triathlete's Training Bible are just a couple of good resources...There are others as well). This will help address apprehension and give you a plan.

2. Buy a good bike (a road bike will be fine for a first Ironman). Regardless, just take care of it and ensure it fits properly.

3. Get a bike trainer. You don't need anything too special. Just something you are willing to ride for 90 minutes at a shot 3 times per week in the evenings.

4. Plan on having your weekends pretty filled with riding from March through July. Unlike running/swimming, riding simply takes more time which can have an impact on your family/social life.

5. Enjoy the process. Ironman isn't a destination. It's a celebration of a lifestyle. If you don't enjoy the process, there's no reason to bother.

Good luck,

Jonathan C. Puskas

www.wenzelcoaching.com

www.ironheads.org

www.halffastvelo.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend training for non-bicyclist’s first IM [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all three of you for helping out. I hadn't planned on competing, or rather participating in a competition, until the IM until you guys mentioned it. I guess that makes good 'better be safe than sorry' sense and somehow I discounted it. I'll work on finding at least one--perhaps a half prior.

BK--I here you on the 'Ride your bike a lot'. I guess that's what it ultimately comes down to. Probably the only real answer I need for my main issue.

Perhaps I'll consider some coaching too if I'm not feeling confident after some initial planning.

Puskas--thanks for your info too. You very-well may be getting a PM as I get questions once I get started with the specifics. However, under number 2 (ha!) when you say 'Buy a good bike' does that mean you don't think the used Giant TCR 2 will be enough of a bike to get me through training and the IM next July?
Last edited by: Rufer: Aug 24, 06 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about distance vs. intensity.

you need both. you will need to put the miles in so that riding 112 miles really doesn't seem like much. your body needs to feel comfortable on a bike in a given one or two positions for 4.5 to 6.5 hours, and that will take a lot of hours in the saddle for you, i suspect.

however, those miles won't do much for your speed or power, so be sure to supplement them with focused work (the books have all this).

if you want an extreme example of this, an older male who trains as part of the same training group as myself has a history of riding ultras (200 miles and up). he's done them for years, but this year he got more focused training and worked not just on putting in miles on the bike but building power, pedal technique, lifting his LT on the bike and so on.

he cut 23 *hours* of his time for Boston-Montreal-Boston (1200km), finishing in the top 20 this year in about 63 hours.

so be sure to do a good mix (probably 80:20 to start, moving to 60:40 as you get closer to an IM) of pure endurance riding and more focused work on the bike.
Quote Reply