Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me upgrade my Felt S32
Quote | Reply
This time last year I purchased a Felt S32, and have been very happy. Given that my bike is still configured in the factory specs, if I were to upgrade anything on the bike (besides the rider). Which upgrade would give me the best performance boost for my $ ? Any and all suggestions are welcome...feel free to provide specfic product names. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade my Felt S32 [Earlp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My choice - Vision Tech base bar, Profile T2+ aero bars, front aero wheel, custom disc cover from wheelbuilder.com and an aero helmet. Now you're state of the art and can still afford to pay the rent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace cranks.

You'll thank me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision base bars and clip on's

Tektro brake levers

FSA solid chainring

Seat of your choice

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTap / Open Pro

Coach Paulo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike comes with very good components, the only thing is that Profile Aerolite that is very heavy, and the armrest are way up the base bar, also with no spacers. You can get a new aerobar, a lighter one, you will shave a lot of weight there, and you will have a more aero position, and your bike will look prettier too.

Christian Riera
Transition-Area triathlon shop
FIST Certified Fitter
Ocean Ridge Florida
christian@transition-area.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the performance gains you are looking for. It is hard to overlook the wheels as the #1 upgrade. A set of deep aero wheels can make a measurable differnece, much more so than a flashy chainring or aerobar.

Dura Ace cranks are certainly a trouble free and well designed part, but I suspect you've had no issues with the machined FSA rings and splined BB that came with the bike. An upgrade there won't give you significant performance enhancement.

If you're still on the same drivetrain, a chain and a new cassette might be called for, well timed if you are also willing to look at a new wheelset.

I'm glad the bike is getting used and you are looking to upgrade the trim.

Enjoy,

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade my Felt S32 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I DEFINITELY agree with SuperDave. If you want *bling-bling* parts like DA cranks, buy a new bike. Your FSA's are likely working just fine.

I would approach this like this:

What can I change to make my bike faster through the wind? As a matter of fact, you can't afford ANYTHING that could make your bike suddenly and significantly lighter. Not that it's heavy, but lighter can be bought. So, even a 1/2 pound or a pound of non-rotating weight isn't going to really help. I mean, it would be far cheaper to lose another pound off your midline. Most people can find a pound there :)

If a new aerobar setup will improve your body position, that's a reason to do it. Looks? We're all vain, but c'mon. Your speed will come from aerodynamics. So what can you change? Aero position, helmet- if you can stand the lack of ventilation, and wheels. I'm sure you all read the MIT guys in Bicycling saying that the improvement from an aero helmet far outweighs the gains from any aero wheelset. Cheaper too. But there's the heat thing.

If your position is dialed, leave the controls alone. Buy a helmet, or a set of wheels. I like the deep front idea, and a rear cover. Sure the rear is a bit ghetto, but do you wanna go fast?

Only other consideration is the rear derailleur. Instant and reliable shifting is awesome. Upgrading to a DA rear is not a stupid idea. Otherwise, unless it's worn out, leave the drivetrain alone.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, I just assumed he allready had race wheels.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade my Felt S32 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I must show my lack of knowledge...why would a Dura Ace crank be worthy of the $$ ? Yes,the rider can shave a few grams of weight :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't feel the DA crank is worth the extra $$ for someone of my level. I use the origional crank. I went with the solid chainring cuz it looked cool.

I have a 2003 Felt S32, the things I mentioned before (except the brake levers) are the things I changed along with items such as:

bottom bracket - Truative CR2172 BB03GPSL108/68 (don't remember the other one)
chain - Dura Ace (about 6 or 7 of them)
tires - Conti Gatorskins
cables - Shimano
saddle - Arione tri
rear wheel - Powertap on a velocity rim
Race wheels - Renn disc rear / Hed CX front

My rear shifter seems to be going away.
I really don't care for the brakes but they work OK

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go aero, not weight. From what I've read the approx savings over 40 kms are around:

1) aero wheels - saves about 1 minute

2) aerobar 1pc or VT aero base bar- 20-30 seconds

3) aero helmet - 30 seconds

4) aero chain ring - 3 seconds
Quote Reply