Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

do wetsuits wear out???
Quote | Reply
I seem to be having more and more trouble breathing during the swim (which results in me getting slower not faster). I'm doing OK in the pool - improving little by little - and I've been doing 4-5 triathlons per year for the last ten years, so I don't think I've gotten new anxiety. The wetsuit I have now is a bottom of the line QR that is 5+ years old. Does the rubber get less flexible over time, resulting in making it harder to breath? Are there suits that are more flexible? Maybe the DSS two-piece suits would be worth trying. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: do wetsuits wear out??? [rlirwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put on a few pounds in the last 5+ years?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sleeveless Aleeda is approaching 15 years old, and I bought it used. No issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that my suit has appeared to become more flexible with age (although it's only a 2 year old Full IM Instinct)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rubber in the armpits of my 2002 Xterra Vortex fullsuit is splitting a little bit, along the seams. The company told me that this was probably due to me not pulling the arms of the suit up far enough. Now that I follow their advice, the problem hasn't worsened.

I would imagine that, eventually, all suits give way. But if you don't leave it wadded up in your hot car, let it dry, etc, my guess would be taht it'll last for quite a few years. For what we pay for them, they'd better!

mm
Quote Reply
Re: do wetsuits wear out??? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Put on a few pounds in the last 5+ years?
No - 5 pounds lighter according to my training log. probably body fat has decreased as I've been lifting weights and doing more hill training on the bike. Wish it were that simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check Emilio's posts on this forum regarding this.

As far as I remember, they do get slightly less flexible with age, but not to the extend that it would cause what you describe.

Also the more expensive neopren is supposingly more flexible (according to the experts).

Sooo, are you sure you didn't gain "good/bad" weight?

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I was only half-serious about the few pounds. ;-)

How about this one...

If you're lifting weights and riding in an aero position and swimming more... Maybe you're getting buffed out around the neck and your suit is getting tight there, causing anxiety and/or restricting breathing.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply