Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow
Quote | Reply
I have emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow and I am more than a little apprehensive ... what should I expect ... how much pain ... how long for recovery ... when will I be able to go back to work ... and, most importantly, when will i be able to start training again?!

Yes, I'm a wimp and coward when it comes to this sort of thing ...

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With my Valium and Demerol IV drip going I felt no pain and actually had a pretty good time. :) I was sad to see it end.

Swelling and after effects vary. I had virtually none, just a dull ache for several days. My brother was so swollen his face was shiny. He was purple from his eyes to his shirt neckline and blood in the whites of his eyes.

I'd say 2 - 5 days and you are good to go.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was allergic to pain medication given which ended up being more painful then the effects of wisdom teeth removal. After the first day, just a constant dull ache for a few days and I was able to eat solid foods pretty quickly thereafter (didn't lose any weight which was disappointing). I think you'll find outcomes vary quite broadly depending on the person. A colleague's face remained swollen for what seemed like weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was very sore for days. I was somewhat freaked out by the bloody gauze I had to keep replacing as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone's different, but I rode 35 miles two or three hours after having my wisdom teeth pulled.

Never had the slightest pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I won't share my 2 stories about getting my wisdom teeth pulled, emergency style. I'm sure it will all go fine. The two I have left are going with me to my grave.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Hummm, I didn't have any problems. I was back to school (20 years ago) on Monday and just took it easy over the weekend. I didn't take any pain meds which supprised me. I had three impacted and one "normal" extraction. No bruising or anything. Everyone is different though. I had a friend that had a really hard time, her face was swollen & bruised & it took her a few weeks for the swelling to go down.

Don't worry too much about it, you'll probably live:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember, after I got home, I went to sleep. I woke up choking from the congealed blood in my mouth. Good times!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah.... brings back nice memories. :-)

I tried in vain to twist the cap of my vial of Vicodin when the anesthetic wore off and the pain level started ratcheting up. I don't know why I was so weak, but I could not twist that f*cking cap off. The whole time, I kept spitting out copious amounts of blood. The gauze in my mouth didn't do sh!t to staunch the blood.

Just when the frustration level threatened to kill me outright, I said "enough" and crawled down from my couch, out the door, and knocked on my neighbor's door. She opened the vial for me, but God only knows what she thought when she saw this bloody mess crawl away...

Enjoy the PAIN!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also mention that I blame (rightly or wrongly) the extraction of my wisdom teeth for the subsequent movement of my teeth. This resulted in two fucking years of fucking torture in the fucking braces to set the fucking teeth straight. But that's another story...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got all 4 of mine pulled at once, 3 of them were in pretty bad shape. They hooked up the nitrous I.V., I passed out and stayed "stoned" for the rest of the day. It was a great feeling; having my (ex) fiance drive me around to the store for Vicodin, meanwhile I'm just talking and being extremely outspoken to total strangers while some blood is trickling out of my gauze-stuffed mouth !!! LOL After the first day (most of which I slept), it was cake. Just took some Tylenol and that was it. No complaints or worries from me.

Good Luck !!! And don't worry !!!

Ken

Quote | Reply
It totally depends on the person. I worked out the next day and I don't think I took anything stronger than arpirin.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt very much if the extraction itself will hurt. I had all four plus a rotten molar pulled at once and didn't feel anything during the procedure. That being said, the next few days were pretty sore for me with intermittent bleeding from the holes and no solid food for several days. Keep Advil/Tylenol on hand.

I took several days off work, mostly out of choice and because I didn't want to drive while on pain meds. However,looking back, i'd have been ok the second day after the surgery.

The good news is that I was training again within the week, once the holes stopped bleeding and I wasn't spitting blood.

Good luck with it...................
Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [RTaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the ... ah ... encouraging words. In an odd, pain wracked sort of way, I'm looking forward to it ... my mouth hurts soo bad right now anything would be better, and I can't imagine much could be worse. I'm taking the week off from work ... I'm a police officer, work nights Wed-Sat ... and, I could just see myslef, doped up on pain meds, blood dripping out of my swollen face, trying to arrest a drunk ... my sergeant said, 'good luck ... see you next week." and then he told me his horror story about getting his pulled.

just checked the fridge ... a six pack of guinness, and a six pack of fat tire ... mix in a little vicodin, and im set. i hope.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 different sets of wisdom teeth pulled - upper and lower.

One set of extractions (lower) was more difficult: one tooth broke and they had to dig out the extra piece. The pulling didn't hurt; that digging hurt later.... I was on Nitrous Oxide and that was great :)

The other set of extractions (upper) didn't hurt a bit. I think they gave me a local for that one.

Expect they will be nice to you and nurses' breasts will be brushing your face accidentally.

Expect that you will be out of work for 2 days (the day of surgery and the next day)... if it's an emergency, maybe more. But don't "pre-worry" about this. Just take every moment as it comes. You may need pain killers and you may not. At least take Tylenol.

You may be back to training on the weekend...? Depends on why the emergency and how you heal. If you have any pain killers higher than Tylenol you may get a downer-hangover, fyi.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I could just see myslef, doped up on pain meds, blood dripping out of my swollen face, trying to arrest a drunk"

You'll be fine... or you ask for more time off. That sounds easy.

Don't listen to a sargeant's tooth horror story. He's just trying to puff up his own testosterone in front of you. Every person's surgery is different, as everyone's healing is different.

Truly don't worry. Just get to the hospital/office in time and feel secure that they've done this before. Best wishes.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy.

I had four done at once. Walked from my office to the dental surgeon. Walked out with an RX for pain killer of some sort, walked home. Didn't take one. Had mushroom rissotto at Il Giardino with a girlfriend four hours later and she didn't notice a thing until we got to the, How was your day? part of the conversation.

Glad the buggers are gone.
Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [beach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had all four taken out at the same time about two years ago and had no pain at all. I was a little groggy the day it happened but that was about it. I slept most of the day and was fine to do anything in the morning. I ended up never taking any of the pain meds. I've actually had cleanings that hurt more. So I guess it just depends and each person is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had mine removed, but I'm such a dental wuss that I paid $1,000 to hire an anesthesiologist to knock me out to have some fillings replaced. Best money I ever spent!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mine out a few years ago. All were impacted, and the doctor told me I was at high risk for permanent nerve damage because of the way one of the lowers was situated. They doped me up and wrote a good prescription for pain killers. The removal was no problem.

Afterward, I had minor pain, but lots of swelling and bruising. My biggest fear was dry sockets, which I managed to avoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me tell you about the Navy dentist who pulled my wisdom teeth...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had gum surgery , twice , in the past 4 months. The type where they cut away chunks to facilitate crowning after root canals.

My periodontist stated I may need to remove both of my wisdom teeth ( I only have two , uppers ) and that it would be pretty straight forward.

I believe it depends on the "health" of the actual tooth. If the tooth is strong , I believe it can be pulled quickly and hassle free.

Alternatively , if the tooth is not strong and breaks during removal , then pieces have to be dug out , as such , enough said.

During my gum surgery , which I was of course wide awake , but covered by operating sheets ( except for mouth ) I went over a couple races where I dug deep , that was enough of a distraction.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its Tomorrow.....How was it?
Quote Reply
Re: More than a little apprehensive: emergency wisdom teeth removal surgery tomorrow [RTaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for asking. In short: much adieu about nothing. I was in the doc's office for just under an hour; the entire procedure lasted, maybe, 15 minutes. And, the doc was a bike geek ... we talked Floyd, Lance, and bikes before and after.

My wife drove me home. I napped for a few hours. And then we walked the dogs for an hour. The pain was minimal ... more annoying than anything. The bleeding lasted only an hour or so post-op. I slept great last night.

Today, I didn't pop any pills. The extraction site aches a bit, but it's tolerable. I ate soup, yogurt and orange sherbert. I'll try more solid food in a few days.

To all who responded, thanks a bunch. For me, this was an instance where the bark was far worse than the bite.

Quote Reply