Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Vets, give us some tips
Quote | Reply
Gearing - what did you use & what would you recommend? Is a 36/23 combo small enough for a spinner?

Swim - john or full suit? Where should a 1:05 swimmer position line up for the start?

Bike - lighweight wheelset or disk & trispoke/other.?

Lodging/Food - any suggestions? Dog friendly rentals anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Vets, give us some tips [dualfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a race in Lake Placid last weekend, wasn't there? I hear some people attended... bicycles, some running maybe...

Last edited by: dualfuel: Jul 27, 06 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot "How many calories"

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gearing - what did you use & what would you recommend? Is a 36/23 combo small enough for a spinner? I used a 12/27 and was happy with my decision

Swim - john or full suit? Where should a 1:05 swimmer position line up for the start? I used a full suit but I hate all wetsuits so it's your call, the water temp was fine either way. 1:05 I would start 5 or 6 rows deep but get near the front.

Bike - lighweight wheelset or disk & trispoke/other.? You will give back a lot of time if you don't go with your fastest wheelset/aero bike.

Lodging/Food - any suggestions? Dog friendly rentals anywhere? Not sure.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Vets, give us some tips [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, that's the problem. Maybe I should include "Floyd Dope 4:1 Position Cervelo" in the subject line like ebay to generate more interest :)

Got any more pics of the pup at Placid?

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Vets, give us some tips [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the 12-27 on a compact or standard set? I'm thinking of going to a 50/36 with a 12-23 & wondering if the smallest combo is small enough (for my kermit legs)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gearing - what did you use & what would you recommend? Is a 36/23 combo small enough for a spinner?

Swim - john or full suit? Where should a 1:05 swimmer position line up for the start?

Bike - lighweight wheelset or disk & trispoke/other.?

Lodging/Food - any suggestions? Dog friendly rentals anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

A 53/39 (std front) with a 12/25 should be fine for anyone under 6 hours. 36/23 should be fine and only rarely need.

Full suit - always faster. I did not overheat and swim 1:10

Position in line with the dock

Always the aero wheelset! It is not THAT hilly! The DATTT is FAR hillier than IMLP

Can't comment on dog friendly rentals, but Record10 and Estee did stay at the Comfort Inn on 86 pretty close to town

Quote | Reply
I rode 5:35 and use a 34x25 small gear many many many times during the race. For the swim, I went sleeveless to avoid dehydration in the water. Whenever i use a fullsuit at LP, I have a bad bike-run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting race. This was my third time at LP.. 2001, 2002, and now 2006.

Sleeveless suit, still felt a bit warm on the swim. Started outside on both laps then got pushed to the yellow line and beat up pretty good several times. I was a bit too passive for my own good. I have gone 1:08 and 1:09 before, and had a 1:11 this year.

We stayed at the Swiss Acres Inn which was very dog friendly, plus close to a 24 hour food store, and close to the town (free) shuttle.

I used a 53/39 and 12/27 for a 6:07 split. I've gone 5:49 with that combo before. 12/25 should be fine also. I spent too much time in the 27 on some of the hills instead of pushing a bit bigger gear or standing a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a standard set with 175mm cranks. I'd rather have that 'bailout' gear, especially with the style I ride. Because of lower back issues, I can't really turn over a hard gear, so I prefer the easier gears with a fast cadence. Though as I said earlier, I did run out of gears a couple times where the speed picked up, but maybe that's a good thing because my bike was basically saying 'give your legs a rest.'

Depending on the type of rider you are, standard front with anything from 12/27, 12/25, or 11/23 in the back should be just fine.

And for the record I biked a 5:28, though like I said, it all depends on what type of rider you are when determining gear ratio, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planning ahead?

Gearing - I used 53/39, 12-25, easy spin up all the hills. I forced myself to use the 25 on the first loop, and gladly used it on the second. A friend offered his zipp disc, I stuck with my 404s. (bike 5:34)

Wetsuit - 02 QR ultra full with a couple holes patched and glued (time to upgrade). I was not hot at all but have never had a problem overheating. Race water temp was 75-76 I believe.

Willkommen Hof B&B is in Whiteface Rt 86 at mile 44/100 of the bike course. They have an apartment, several rooms w/ private baths, and some rooms with shared baths. I stayed in one of the rooms w/ private bath and a fridge. Very nice place, Bert and Heike are good people. They have a dog and allow pets. If I do the race again, I'll stay there. It is 11 miles from LP.

We had dinner Saturday a mile south of the B&B at Hungry Trout. It was good. Only one pasta entree, but they offered to add pasta without my asking to anything else. The Cottage Inn on the north side of mirror lake has good sandwiches and appetizers and an outdoor deck on the water. I heard the brewery was good but didn't eat there. There is an italian/mediterannean place next to the post office that has some of the worst burnt food I ever tasted.

Greg

edit - oops just re read the subject line. i'm definitely not a vet. it was my first, so take for what it's worth.
Last edited by: gkeier: Jul 27, 06 20:30
Quote Reply